Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

On 15/02/2016 at 13:10, Mostyn6 said:

I was close to reviving this thread last week. Not sure why I didn't.

I confided in an aunt a few weeks ago, she was a bit upset that I'd gone through a rough period alone, and very upset with my mother, who I have no relationship with whatsoever.

A few days passed and my aunt's daughter (my cousin) sent me a lengthy text about her husband, who I really admire, but haven't seen for a while, going through a really really rough period. She echoed a lot of the advice given in here, and that thankfully, her husband is getting better.

I'd like to think I'd come through the roughest part with the introduction of more regular exercise, and knowing I can vent on here without criticism for it.

Hope you do find the first step again @SaintRam, your contribution to this thread has been noted and appreciated I can assure you.

Just heard Mostyn talking about this towards the end of the most recent podcast and thought what he said on footballers' depression was interesting. Wasn't it our former boss John Gregory who absolutely laid into Stan Collymore once because he was depressed? 

Anyway, just thought I might also bump this back up after discussion on the pod. 

Hope everyone who posted on this thread is doing well! 

1 hour ago, SantosHalper said:

Just heard Mostyn talking about this towards the end of the most recent podcast and thought what he said on footballers' depression was interesting. Wasn't it our former boss John Gregory who absolutely laid into Stan Collymore once because he was depressed? 

Anyway, just thought I might also bump this back up after discussion on the pod. 

Hope everyone who posted on this thread is doing well! 

It's a big problem at least here in Finland that media keeps doing bits about celebrities who are "depressed" but after a week vacation in France or Spain they are fine. The people who have the disease called depression however have no hope of getting better like that. Those who are lucky enough not to know the difference seem very eager to make judgements on the matter though. And it ain't helping anybody. Collymore was just one of the many victims in that category.

Having a quiet week off Twitter this week... Certain festival going off and it sets off me remembering bad times in my head and wishing I could change the past... Feeling a little low but I'm good. 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Having a quiet week off Twitter this week... Certain festival going off and it sets off me remembering bad times in my head and wishing I could change the past... Feeling a little low but I'm good. 

from the outside looking in, you have a similar mechanism to me I think. I like to create my own entertainment and poke fun at myself and my alias in here and on twitter etc.

19 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

from the outside looking in, you have a similar mechanism to me I think. I like to create my own entertainment and poke fun at myself and my alias in here and on twitter etc.

Think you're right, you know what I'm like on Twitter... I love a laugh and I don't care if it's at my own expense, people take life far too seriously, really love talking to people in general...  There's plenty of kind strangers out there... Talked to and met some wonderful folk.. So finding it a little hard this week to not be on there. Got to think of myself though!

32 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If you feel low, think how low you'd feel after a bad time at said certain festival.

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If you feel low, think how low you'd feel after a bad time at said certain festival.

I know the feeling... Trust me

3 hours ago, Cisse said:

It's a big problem at least here in Finland that media keeps doing bits about celebrities who are "depressed" but after a week vacation in France or Spain they are fine. The people who have the disease called depression however have no hope of getting better like that. Those who are lucky enough not to know the difference seem very eager to make judgements on the matter though. And it ain't helping anybody. Collymore was just one of the many victims in that category.

The idea that having loads of money and adoring fans means that you're unlikely or less likely to suffer from depression is part of a wider problem, although I must admit that even I'm sometimes led to think, "Oh, poor guy, he must be so unhappy in his massive mansion and model girlfriend". It's really terrible of me to think that. 

A year or so ago I dated a girl who flat-out denied that depression even existed, and that people "just feeling sad" should pull their socks up and get themselves sorted out. No amount of arguing or pointing to solid evidence would convince her otherwise -- she just saw my condition as a moral failing on my part, and that's what people who are lucky enough not to suffer from it need to be encouraged to realise. I wasn't so upset when that relationship ended! 

13 hours ago, SantosHalper said:

The idea that having loads of money and adoring fans means that you're unlikely or less likely to suffer from depression is part of a wider problem, although I must admit that even I'm sometimes led to think, "Oh, poor guy, he must be so unhappy in his massive mansion and model girlfriend". It's really terrible of me to think that. 

A year or so ago I dated a girl who flat-out denied that depression even existed, and that people "just feeling sad" should pull their socks up and get themselves sorted out. No amount of arguing or pointing to solid evidence would convince her otherwise -- she just saw my condition as a moral failing on my part, and that's what people who are lucky enough not to suffer from it need to be encouraged to realise. I wasn't so upset when that relationship ended! 

I don't want to get in to complaining about people or types of people too intensely as I'm not really the type, but I just wanted to say that I would find that impossible to deal with lol 

Don't even know how I would react, but I would definitely react.

I was going to write something about my personal situation currently just to add to the overall discussion and get it out there but having spent far too long staring at this, fingers over the keyboard yet unable to type anything, I'll just leave it at this. lol. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I don't want to get in to complaining about people or types of people too intensely as I'm not really the type, but I just wanted to say that I would find that impossible to deal with lol 

I was going to write something about my personal situation currently just to add to the overall discussion and get it out there but having spent far too long staring at this, fingers over the keyboard yet unable to type anything, I'll just leave it at this. lol. 

if it helps, type it in a PM to me. Just getting it on the screen takes --% of it away from solely your own burden. I cannot offer or promise a solution, but you know that already.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

if it helps, type it in a PM to me. Just getting it on the screen takes --% of it away from solely your own burden. I cannot offer or promise a solution, but you know that already.

I may do so.

On 16/03/2016 at 10:08, SaintRam said:

Sometimes it is good to type it to get it out, even if you don't click submit, just the relief of it not being kept in.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting into/returning to some more creative pastimes and it's helping, especially with my general outlook. 

Still finding it nigh impossible to talk myself into going anywhere where I think I'll come across a crowd though, that's gotten a lot worse recently. 

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I've been getting into/returning to some more creative pastimes and it's helping, especially with my general outlook. 

Still finding it nigh impossible to talk myself into going anywhere where I think I'll come across a crowd though, that's gotten a lot worse recently. 

What kind of symptoms you develope with crowds ? Feel free to PM me if you don't want tell me these things here.

Has anybody suffered from trying to sleep and how they overcome this, suffering a new low recently and trying to nod off and stay asleep is becoming very hard, even picked up sleep apnea which is frightening, I wake up and have major panic attacks.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Is this any particular type of crowd? Is it about sheer numbers? I've no problem with large crowds, but am useless with small ones! I'd be fine in a 100,000 crowd at a game or a gig, but there is no way I would walk into the Brunny.