Granty

1977 Ram Raider

On 12/7/2015 at 14:02, RadioactiveWaste said:

I trust Clement. Grant was good and is good and if some are to be believed, grant was carrying injuries back end of last season. Grant does not deserve to be dropped, but I'd agree in general Carson is first choice. But then, if you know you miss a game you're out,will players just try to carry injuries for fear of losing their place in the side? Still, its good problems to have and good to have grant sharp and interested.

True. Why can I not get reception on Radio ActiveWaste?

Carson is better than Grant. Let us hope that Carson is fit for Boro game. We did not deserve to win tonight. Leeds did enough for a draw and could have won it. We could have won it but did not deserve to do so. Conveniently for us, Brighton are flagging big time, Hull are poor away from home and Burnley are not as good as us or Boro. A draw at Boro would be nice. If no Shackell, I cannot see us getting a draw.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Tonight was the clincher. A keeper has to do the basics well and then the best goalies distinguish themselves by some extraordinary stops.

Last season Grant's blunders cost us numerous goals at key times. I was overjoyed we brought Carson in and more than a little worried that some were saying Grant should still be number one. After a shaky start for Grant this season, when he came back in he has performed fine as a number 2 replacing the injured main keeper.Not as good as the main keeper but adequate for the short term. Carson may have saved one or both of Brighton's goals but at least Grant was being solid and dependable. But then tonight...

I thought Grant had stopped the crazy punching habit (often into his own net) but instead he went to punch a freekick he could have caught. If you're going to punch, you go for height and distance - instean he punched it down into the attacker's head. When as a keeper you've made a bad mistake like that, you retreat to your line and rely on your defence to deal with it - instead he chases after the ball out of his own penalty area. I can honestly say I've only ever seen that before in under-10s football when kids still have no idea what they're doing. Keogh saved him with an incredible block. The Leeds player chipped a gentle ball into the six yard area as Grant back-pedalled. He could probably have caught it. At least he could have simply tipped it over the bar, and we'd have regrouped. Instead he patted it down at the feet of a forward for a tap-in.

Really it was the type of sequence of events that would make anyone think there was a lot of money in the Far East on the game being level at half-time. There are blunders but that was the worst continuous 30 seconds of goalkeeping I've seen.

If Carson is fit for Boro it's a very east decision indeed for Clement to bring him back. Sorry, Graty, but I really hope Carson is fit for Boro.

While I agree with the jist of your post, to say he often punches it into his own net isn't correct, it's only occasionally! 

Absolutely no doubt Carson's no 1 though, please be fit for Saturday Scotty.

It's difficult not to pick on individuals when that individual's the goalkeeper and any mistakes he makes are not only glaringly obvious, but often amplified in consequence as they more often than not lead to conceding a goal. 

Carson has so far this season proven himself the more reliable goalkeeper, we'd be doing ourselves no favours keeping Grant between the sticks on the basis it's 'only one mistake', when you're competing at the top all the mistakes (or lack of them) count. We can't really afford to drop too many points due to silly mistakes. 

What also frustrated about that Leeds goal sequence was Grants painfully slow retreat to his line after he ran out and jumped up in the air at the edge of the box (a poor play in and of itself) ... He should have raced back into the goal immediately but he just stood there near the edge of the box, then pedalled slowly back ... That led to him having to bat at the ball as opposed to making a simple catch because he was not back in position; it was extremely poor. And although he wasn't at fault for the second you get the feeling that Carson just might have pulled off a blinder of a save there.

40 minutes ago, Ninos said:

What also frustrated about that Leeds goal sequence was Grants painfully slow retreat to his line after he ran out and jumped up in the air at the edge of the box (a poor play in and of itself) ... He should have raced back into the goal immediately but he just stood there near the edge of the box, then pedalled slowly back ... That led to him having to bat at the ball as opposed to making a simple catch because he was not back in position; it was extremely poor. And although he wasn't at fault for the second you get the feeling that Carson just might have pulled off a blinder of a save there.

It was a great cross but at one time keepers used to catch those too.

I like grant he is a honest player and no doubt apoligised to his teamaates. But when you are competing at the top you quite simply can't afford to make mistakes like he did tonight. It was much worse than a mistake like say wolves away last season. He had two opportunities to catch the ball and did neither. And why he decided to run out towards the player only he knows. I've watched it a few times and it gets worse every time I watch it, and it completely changed the game in their favour. 

I'd say that any opposition looking at our team would be hard pressed to say 'there's their weak link'..... With Carson in the side. 

With Grant you can never completely rule out the chance of a clanger due to his insistence on slapping at the ball so we become a side prone to keeper errors 

Archived