Granty

1977 Ram Raider

I feel that it's right to keep Grant in. He's been patient and waited for his chance to prove himself and in my opinion he took it yesterday. 

If Clement drops Grant and brings Carson straight back in then what message is that sending to Grant? 

Back-up keepers get very few chances throughout the season to force their way into the team so when they get their chance and take it I think the manager should stick with them until injury/ suspension/ errors give the other keeper a chance. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Grant , and he played very well , with that one great save he made on Sunday,but for me Carson is still our number one , he has played very well this season , and he fills me with so much confidence,but Grant is great back up , we are lucky to have two very good goalkeepers at this level.

from DET:

LEE Grant admits he is not enjoying his lack of regular football this season – but has vowed to stay fully committed to Derby County's promotion push.

Grant was handed only his third appearance of the season – and second in the League – in Sunday's Championship clash with former club Sheffield Wednesday.

He stepped in to replace regular stopper Scott Carson, who was ruled out by a minor back problem, and helped Paul Clement's men battle out a goalless draw at Hillsborough.

Summer recruit Carson has established himself as Clement's number one since joining from Wigan Athletic.

That decision has been tough on Grant, who had been the Rams' first-choice keeper for the past two seasons.

Asked how he has dealt with being out of the side, the 32-year-old said: "With great difficulty!

"It's not a situation I'm used to and it's not a situation I enjoy.

"The manager is obviously aware of that – but he knows he can rely on me for 100% commitment and professionalism day in and day out.

"I think that has allowed me to come into the team and perform to a good level.

"It's not just me – there are another seven or eight guys in the squad who are finding it difficult because they're not getting the minutes they want.

"But the situation is bigger than just one player – there is a big story that's happening at the moment and it's one I want to be part of, in any way I can.

"I was delighted to be part of it on Sunday – but I want to be part of it much more frequently.

"There's not a guy within our squad who is satisfied with sitting on the bench."

Only last week, Grant was praised for his approach by goalkeeper coach Pascal Zuberbuhler, who hailed the former Burnley man as an "outstanding professional".

"It's very hard to maintain the same intensity, mentally, when you know you're not playing," said Grant.

"You have to stay on it in training and be focused, because like we have seen, you can get the tap on the shoulder at any time. You have to be ready.

"I'd be doing myself a disservice if I wasn't making sure I was in the right frame of mind and the right physical state to play.

"It's a case of being there to support your team-mates and being ready to step up to the plate and not let anyone down when you get that opportunity.

"It's my job to be ready when called upon, to support Scott and the team."

It remains to be seen whether Carson will have fully recovered before Saturday's home clash with league leaders Brighton & Hove Albion.

All Grant can do is wait and see if he is called upon again.

"The manager is the one that calls the shots," he said. "It's not for me to go banging on his door demanding this, that and the other.

"My job is to do what I can do on the pitch.

"Beyond that, I train as hard as I can and allow him (Clement) to make the correct decisions.

"So far, as we've seen from the fact the team are riding high in the table, he's done that.

"So I can't be one to go and second guess what the manager is doing.

"Like I say, I'll work hard in the week and do everything I can to give him a nice headache and a difficult decision to make."

EDIT: I Suppose I should add a link in case you want to look at their ads:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Lee-Grant-says-s-fun-number-Rams/story-28321278-detail/story.html

So here's a question:

The longer Grant plays, the more unfair it looks to bring Carson back into the team. But, while Grant hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't really had a save to make other than shots straight at him and a camera save v Wednesday. 

I think he's competent, and not far off the level of Carson, so 

Do we stick with Grant now until he gets injured/suspended or makes a mistake?

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

So here's a question:

The longer Grant plays, the more unfair it looks to bring Carson back into the team. But, while Grant hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't really had a save to make other than shots straight at him and a camera save v Wednesday. 

I think he's competent, and not far off the level of Carson, so 

Do we stick with Grant now until he gets injured/suspended or makes a mistake?

Its a tough one really, glad im not the Manager! Grant certainly hasnt done anything wrong to be dropped, but we now have the FA cup coming up so do we give Morch a chance or bring back Carson when he's fit and use Grant as our FA Cup keeper? 

I would probably be leaning very slightly to bring Carson back in when he's fit. He's been superb 

Archived