Granty

1977 Ram Raider

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson >>>>>>> Grant.

Thought he should of done better at his near post for the second Brighton goal and no idea what he was doing flapping around on the floor last night.

Carson can make the odd clanger but he seems to be able to get up and cover the ground quicker than Grant can so the error becomes a non issue.

4 hours ago, Derbados said:

Its a tough one really, glad im not the Manager! Grant certainly hasnt done anything wrong to be dropped, but we now have the FA cup coming up so do we give Morch a chance or bring back Carson when he's fit and use Grant as our FA Cup keeper? 

I would probably be leaning very slightly to bring Carson back in when he's fit. He's been superb 

Morch?

Whats happened to him?

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight was the clincher. A keeper has to do the basics well and then the best goalies distinguish themselves by some extraordinary stops.

Last season Grant's blunders cost us numerous goals at key times. I was overjoyed we brought Carson in and more than a little worried that some were saying Grant should still be number one. After a shaky start for Grant this season, when he came back in he has performed fine as a number 2 replacing the injured main keeper.Not as good as the main keeper but adequate for the short term. Carson may have saved one or both of Brighton's goals but at least Grant was being solid and dependable. But then tonight...

I thought Grant had stopped the crazy punching habit (often into his own net) but instead he went to punch a freekick he could have caught. If you're going to punch, you go for height and distance - instean he punched it down into the attacker's head. When as a keeper you've made a bad mistake like that, you retreat to your line and rely on your defence to deal with it - instead he chases after the ball out of his own penalty area. I can honestly say I've only ever seen that before in under-10s football when kids still have no idea what they're doing. Keogh saved him with an incredible block. The Leeds player chipped a gentle ball into the six yard area as Grant back-pedalled. He could probably have caught it. At least he could have simply tipped it over the bar, and we'd have regrouped. Instead he patted it down at the feet of a forward for a tap-in.

Really it was the type of sequence of events that would make anyone think there was a lot of money in the Far East on the game being level at half-time. There are blunders but that was the worst continuous 30 seconds of goalkeeping I've seen.

If Carson is fit for Boro it's a very east decision indeed for Clement to bring him back. Sorry, Graty, but I really hope Carson is fit for Boro.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Tonight was the clincher. A keeper has to do the basics well and then the best goalies distinguish themselves by some extraordinary stops.

Last season Grant's blunders cost us numerous goals at key times. I was overjoyed we brought Carson in and more than a little worried that some were saying Grant should still be number one. After a shaky start for Grant this season, when he came back in he has performed fine as a number 2 replacing the injured main keeper.Not as good as the main keeper but adequate for the short term. Carson may have saved one or both of Brighton's goals but at least Grant was being solid and dependable. But then tonight...

I thought Grant had stopped the crazy punching habit (often into his own net) but instead he went to punch a freekick he could have caught. If you're going to punch, you go for height and distance - instean he punched it down into the attacker's head. When as a keeper you've made a bad mistake like that, you retreat to your line and rely on your defence to deal with it - instead he chases after the ball out of his own penalty area. I can honestly say I've only ever seen that before in under-10s football when kids still have no idea what they're doing. Keogh saved him with an incredible block. The Leeds player chipped a gentle ball into the six yard area as Grant back-pedalled. He could probably have caught it. At least he could have simply tipped it over the bar, and we'd have regrouped. Instead he patted it down at the feet of a forward for a tap-in.

Really it was the type of sequence of events that would make anyone think there was a lot of money in the Far East on the game being level at half-time. There are blunders but that was the worst continuous 30 seconds of goalkeeping I've seen.

If Carson is fit for Boro it's a very east decision indeed for Clement to bring him back. Sorry, Graty, but I really hope Carson is fit for Boro.

So what if Carson isn't fit for Boro on the basis of your summary shouldn't we bother to show up

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

So what if Carson isn't fit for Boro on the basis of your summary shouldn't we bother to show up

What an odd comment. I went back to the thread about Grant versus Carson when the opening question was:

On 07/12/2015 at 13:08, 1977 Ram Raider said:

<Header>Granty</Header> Had a good game yesterday, pulled off a worldie. Would you keep him between the sticks or bring back Scotty.

I've said it's an easy decision for Clement in that Carson clearly has to play if fit. If Carson isn't fit, you can't throw Mitchell in for Boro away.

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't like picking out individuals but I have to agree with most of that! I would probably stick with him for the next game though because if you take him out straight away, it'll smash his confidence. Then there will be another time this season when we need him and we'll suffer for it.

Gave him one more chance!

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

What an odd comment. I went back to the thread about Grant versus Carson when the opening question was:

I've said it's an easy decision for Clement in that Carson clearly has to play if fit. If Carson isn't fit, you can't throw Mitchell in for Boro away.

It was your comment about the worst continuous 30 seconds of goalkeeping you'd ever seen that prompted my reply 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with these bits, as it's often said a good keeper will earn you 10 points or more over a season.

Possibly a bit harsh on Grant, but it does seem the other way round at present. Can't see many would argue a "fit" Carson would have to come back in, but I wouldn't rush him unless fit, after all another 22 (or more with cup run) games to go.

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

It was your comment about the worst continuous 30 seconds of goalkeeping you'd ever seen that prompted my reply 

It really was bizarre goalkeeping for that 30 second burst. Sadly, if Carson's not fit I don't think there's an alternative but to play Grant and hope his head's straight. He had a decent second half considering, though again I would have said Carson would quite possibly have saved Wood's header.

However, given we've the FA Cup tie after Boro, I would definitely start Mitchell to blood him and try to see if he's up to the task should we need to call on him again.

After last season I'll always worry if Grant is on the teamsheet, but after tonight you're perhaps right to read me as saying I'd be extremely unconfident if he plays at the weekend.

For a team aiming for top 2, he has to be a backup keeper.  Any more than a couple of games may continue to cost us valuable points, as tonight shows, as he has obvious flaws in his game.  I think tonights blunder was worse than the Wolves debacle, it was just so utterly preventable from a number of positions and it came at a time when we were in cruise control.

All you demand from a keeper is steady reliablity. No daft errors. For me that balls up tonight was a result of Shackell not being there. Granty thought he had to go extra because Shacks wasn't there. I like Granty, but that was the last mistake he'd make for me. Him and Shotts can clear their lockers in Jan. Not good enough, so why **** about?

Archived