Darren Bent Offside

Derbados

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I've never seen a player get caught offside so much! I know he likes to play off the shoulder but it's poor that he gets caught off so much for someone with so much experience. 

You obviously haven't watched a lot of games with players who play with that style, he's honestly one of the better ones. Although i did think the offside during the Martin-Bent-Martin heading interchange in the box was poor, the rest were fairly standard. A yard offside at his pace means he's running less than a second too early. And as @HantsRam says, it takes more than 15 minutes to get your eye in consistently.

If we keep playing him late on in games (which I'm not criticising, our system is working) we have to just accept the offsides and hope he catches a couple right.

3 hours ago, Derbados said:

I've never seen a player get caught offside so much! I know he likes to play off the shoulder but it's poor that he gets caught off so much for someone with so much experience. 

Obviously you never saw sturridge play....he used to live off side. 

3 hours ago, Derbados said:

I think this is harsh

He's only had over 10  years playing at the highest level, much of it against higher quality defenders in the Premier, to get used to this

And only earns a paltry £20k a week to motivate him to get it right

For goodness sake, give the guy a break

Theres a difference between being caught offside because the player is just being lazy and being caught offside because the player is actually trying to make intelligent runs off the last man. I think Bent is the latter, he's constantly looking to get in behind and the pass doesn't always come off quickly enough and sometimes he makes that run a little too early. But our best chance today came from Bent running off the last man which caused panic and we got the indirect free kick. 

Just the style of play. Bent will be offside often due to him playing off defenders shoulders and looking for through balls. 

Martin on the other hand you would not expect to see offside often due to wanting ball to feet. 

Nothing to be concerned about. When Bent isn't offside and gets the ball he scores often, where as Martin probably has 5-6 times as many touches per goal

He was offside twice today wasnt he? One was a yard off granted but the other one was a hairs breadth and was very nearly a goal, after a cheeky run behind, and a beutifully weighted pass. Better luck in your next 10 mins Benty. Don't know why some fans would want to be tight on you.

I think we should give him a break here. Playing off the Shoulder of the last defender is all about fine timing, how much game time is Bent getting to get this right? How much practise as he had playing competitive football with a proper linesman judging him? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived