Hendrick going to court in March

admira

A few days before the Forest home game ....

Derby County star Jeff Hendrick will face trial in March over an alleged street row in Dublin.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder is accused of violent disorder at Harcourt Street in the city centre on October 12, 2013.

Hendrick was arrested over the alleged offence in September and appeared at Dublin District Court. The case was adjourned until today.

The charge, under the Public Order Act, involves an allegation of the use of, or the threat of violence, which could cause a person to fear for their safety.

His co-accused Jonathan Doran, 24, of Kilmore Crescent, Artane, Dublin, is also charged with violent disorder at nearby Montague Street but also has an additional charge for assault causing harm to a named man in connection with the same incident.

Lawyers for both men entered not guilty pleas on their behalf today.

Hendrick, who recently scooped the FAI 2015 Young International Player of the Year Award, was represented by Garret Baker BL (instructed by Barry Collins solicitor). Mr Baker told the court that a hearing date was required, meaning the case will be contested. He also said that the non-jury district court trial would take "a minimum of one day".

Solicitor Philip Hannon, for Doran, also confirmed that his client would be seeking a hearing date.

Judge Michael Walsh was furnished with a medical report in relation to the allegation against Horan. Jurisdiction for the case to be kept in the district court has been accepted.

Court police officer Sgt Zita Woods said that as many as 24 witnesses could be called by the prosecution and Mr Baker said the number of witnesses to be called by the defence has yet to be determined.

He added: "it could be several".

Judge Walsh advised both parties to agree on the number of witnesses that will be required in advance of the district court trial which will take place on March 15, next year.

At Hendrick's first court appearance in September, officer Damian Beakey said the midfielder "had no reply to the charge after caution and was given a true copy of the charge."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, admira said:

A few days before the Forest home game ....

Derby County star Jeff Hendrick will face trial in March over an alleged street row in Dublin.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder is accused of violent disorder at Harcourt Street in the city centre on October 12, 2013.

Hendrick was arrested over the alleged offence in September and appeared at Dublin District Court. The case was adjourned until today.

The charge, under the Public Order Act, involves an allegation of the use of, or the threat of violence, which could cause a person to fear for their safety.

His co-accused Jonathan Doran, 24, of Kilmore Crescent, Artane, Dublin, is also charged with violent disorder at nearby Montague Street but also has an additional charge for assault causing harm to a named man in connection with the same incident.

Lawyers for both men entered not guilty pleas on their behalf today.

Hendrick, who recently scooped the FAI 2015 Young International Player of the Year Award, was represented by Garret Baker BL (instructed by Barry Collins solicitor). Mr Baker told the court that a hearing date was required, meaning the case will be contested. He also said that the non-jury district court trial would take "a minimum of one day".

Solicitor Philip Hannon, for Doran, also confirmed that his client would be seeking a hearing date.

Judge Michael Walsh was furnished with a medical report in relation to the allegation against Horan. Jurisdiction for the case to be kept in the district court has been accepted.

Court police officer Sgt Zita Woods said that as many as 24 witnesses could be called by the prosecution and Mr Baker said the number of witnesses to be called by the defence has yet to be determined.

He added: "it could be several".

Judge Walsh advised both parties to agree on the number of witnesses that will be required in advance of the district court trial which will take place on March 15, next year.

At Hendrick's first court appearance in September, officer Damian Beakey said the midfielder "had no reply to the charge after caution and was given a true copy of the charge."

He's Irish. I thought drunken fighting was legal over there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did the person in the taxi say "you should be played in the CDM role whenever Thorne is not available, you have all the attributes"?

In all seriousness, if he's jailed I'd think the club would have to dismiss him. It'd be a bit of a shame, he has a lot to offer but I don't think the club would feel able to continue his employment in such circumstances and IMO that'd be correct decision.

Does anyone else think this sounds like a classic shakedown of someone famous? Knew Hendrick when he was younger, pestering him on a night out until he loses it? There was supposed to be a few of them involved but all he seems to be talking about is Hendrick. 

If it was just a few lads up Ripley on any weekend of your choosing we'd have heard no more about it. 

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Did the person in the taxi say "you should be played in the CDM role whenever Thorne is not available, you have all the attributes"?

In all seriousness, if he's jailed I'd think the club would have to dismiss him. It'd be a bit of a shame, he has a lot to offer but I don't think the club would feel able to continue his employment in such circumstances and IMO that'd be correct decision.

You're right it would be a shame, wouldn't be the first footballer to get into a bar brawl either, very few actually instantly kicked out of clubs for fighting, though I'm sure somebody could find examples.

Despite the odd negative comment, I think most people have adopted him as one of our own coming from the junior ranks, I get a sense there is a bit of protectionism by the club (understandably not wanting to comment) but also the fans, as those that have past advocated us cashing in on him, would expect a fair fee, thus proving his value.

So yes it would be a shame and like angieram I do wonder if he is being made celebrity target here to some extent?

Perhaps, it's a newsworthy story and so on, esp in Ireland, but on the other hand, when does brawling (which is not uncommon, but that doesn't make it right) become assault, or how serious was that assault? I have to think if it had just been some p1sshead giving out the assault they'd have been banged up by now. I'm sure others have behaved worse and never been charged. It's also easy to play down or play up the incident depending on your point of view.

I was just getting at from the club's point of view they would probably have to act that way to maintain their integrity.

Why would the club have to sack him? Depending on the severity of the offense, he should be able to continue a normal life after being punished.

A young lad who was at school with my sons got into similar difficulties no long ago, he received a prison sentence, came out and turned his life around with the backing of a couple of football clubs. He's about to captain his side at Wembley in the FA Cup semi finals. 

I wouldn't have a particular problem with resigning him after, it's not a morally abhorrent sin he's committed.

It's more from a professional reputation and integrity point of view the i think the club would feel that way. And looking afterwards, potential clubs would look at it for what it is and I think he'd a chance again. I can't think off the top of my head any employer would keep anyone on the books during a jail term, even if they were going to take them back after. As i said, i'm sure there have been plenty done worse and never faced a charge.

Archived