Hendrick going to court in March

admira

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Why would the club have to sack him? Depending on the severity of the offense, he should be able to continue a normal life after being punished.

A young lad who was at school with my sons got into similar difficulties no long ago, he received a prison sentence, came out and turned his life around with the backing of a couple of football clubs. He's about to captain his side at Wembley in the FA Cup semi finals. 

Troy Deeney I guess - sentenced to 10 months 4 years ago for kicking someone in the head and who was badly hurt.  Turned his life around since and much to his credit. And much to Watford's credit too that they have stood by someone who has done so

Without wanting to open the whole Adam Johnson/Ched Evans debate up again, where do you draw the line of offence severity? I would hazard a guess that the lad that Troy kicked doesn't feel quite so well disposed towards him, but equally society has to do something with people of any age who transgress and if football is your job and skill then why not be allowed to continue, just as you might if you were a brickie?

But, once you accept the principle then once a punishment is served why shouldn't anyone return to their occupation, whatever it may be, if someone is willing to employ them?

Not easy. And won't be straightforward for Derby if Jeff is found guilty in April.  Let's hope he won't be.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Two sides to every story and all that, can easily imagine some smartarse comments towards him because he is famous, BUT he has to behave in a certain way. If he is found guilty the club need to either sack him, or if not put the right message out that they dont condone it and will work with him, he was and still is a very young man, to ensure he learns from this and never does anything again.

The problem i have with anything like this is its hard to say one crime is worse than the other, kicking someones head in, kicking them on the ground can so easily go badly wrong, there only has to be a connect with the head wrongly, either foot, fist, concrete and you are looking at murder instead. I hate that one human being would intentionally csuse harm to another.

Derby will be on a no winner in this one. Jeff is the one who has alledgely committed the offence, but if Derby sack him, they'll lose a valuable player for nothing and then see him go and play elsewhere. Another club will get for nothing and Jeff will get a free transfer. 

It won't be a sackable offence, it's not like it's a sex crime. You'll get the usual "oh if I did that my work would sack me". The fact is he is an asset worth several millions of pounds, if he goes to prison just freeze his wages til he gets back. It's not a unique case. 

He does have a rep doesn't he though, remember a couple of years ago when he got concussion? We all heard what really happened.

Less time hitting up the clubs and more growing up.

34 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Derby will be on a no winner in this one. Jeff is the one who has alledgely committed the offence, but if Derby sack him, they'll lose a valuable player for nothing and then see him go and play elsewhere. Another club will get for nothing and Jeff will get a free transfer. 

We've only heard part of the prosecution case, but so far no one has said that Jeff is the one that allegedly committed the offence, if by that you mean breaking the guy's jaw.  Jeff has been accused of getting stroppy in the bar and then dragging the guy out of the taxi - the guy then ran away before being caught and kicked.  Whether Jeff was part of that is not clear.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charge of causing someone to fear for their safety.  It's his co-accused who is accused of violent disorder and assault.  Without minimising it, you can reasonably conclude that Jeff isn't being accused of violence but of being part of the general fracas that led to the assault or, in other words, a lesser charge.

Young men, alcohol and a night out punch up.  Not an irregular occurrence even if the injuries were 

19 hours ago, ram59 said:

Why would the club have to sack him? Depending on the severity of the offense, he should be able to continue a normal life after being punished.

A young lad who was at school with my sons got into similar difficulties no long ago, he received a prison sentence, came out and turned his life around with the backing of a couple of football clubs. He's about to captain his side at Wembley in the FA Cup semi finals. 

Suspect if there is any conviction, he could have his contract terminated simply for failure to fulfill his side of the contract being somewhat indisposed.

Nothing to stop the Rams resigning him once any punishment IF convicted though. 

Maybe super Sam is going to take out Insurance against such events in future, we could then go out and sign another Bradley Johnson:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

No chance he'll get his contract terminated for somethng like that.

Agreed, not a sober man's chance in Dublin.

14 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

No chance he'll get his contract terminated for somethng like that.

Tend to agree, depends if found guilty and any custodial sentence is issued; in which event I hope we would stand by him but just dock his wages for failing to turn up for work :lol:

Not great timing for Jeff this.

DERBY County duo Jeff Hendrick and Cyrus Christie have been nominated for the Republic of Ireland's Young International Player of the Year award.

Rams midfielder Hendrick and full-back Christie feature on a three-man shortlist, along with Norwich City's Robbie Brady.

The winner will be announced at the 2016 Three FAI International Awards on Sunday (March 20).

Hendrick won the young player accolade last year, while Christie was also nominated.

18 minutes ago, admira said:

Not great timing for Jeff this.

DERBY County duo Jeff Hendrick and Cyrus Christie have been nominated for the Republic of Ireland's Young International Player of the Year award.

Rams midfielder Hendrick and full-back Christie feature on a three-man shortlist, along with Norwich City's Robbie Brady.

The winner will be announced at the 2016 Three FAI International Awards on Sunday (March 20).

Hendrick won the young player accolade last year, while Christie was also nominated.

Brady's pretty nailed on for that I'd have thought, he's been really good for Ireland during qualification.

If someone's remanded in custody for, say, 4 months, doesn't that count towards the prison term. i.e if they got 6 months, they'd be out in 2 months (possibly less with 'good behaviour').

Not sure how that works if the guy's still out and about plying his trade, nor for that matter, if the Irish judiciary system differs from the UK system.

Also, sometimes the court take a lenient view if the defendent's livelihood is at stake, eg a taxi driver losing his licence, or shows sufficient remorse.

Being a potential winner (and past winner) of Player of the year, for a team that has just qualified for a massive tournament this summer might also go in his favour in Dublin, but then, who knows?

Worrying times for Jeff, I'd say.

I obviously don't know all the details, but if what has been said is true, he will likely get a jail sentence, and I for one would be in agreement with that. 

Footballer or astronaut, if you force a guy from a taxi and lay him at the mercy of your 'friends' so they can kick the hell out of him, you deserve to pay. 

Archived