Football Manager

loughboroughRAM

Couldn't find a thread specifically for this (please re-direct me if there is) but what are your personal favourite/memorable achievements on the game, especially with Derby? 

For me my personal favourite was Will Hughes becoming DCFC's all time leading appearance maker at the same time as being England captain on one of my saves.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My highlight was taking Stockport County to the premier league via a play off final win against Man City with a 39 year old Peter Beardsley as my captain... Obviously this was a long time ago..I was playing it on my Amiga.

always makes me smile when I read things about the fact that Stockport have dropped down more leagues than anyone else ever....they should have taken a chance on me and Beardsley..!

My memorable achievement with Derby is getting a regen Mexican called Vazquez. This guy was brilliant and got me 30 goals a season since he was 18. Got to 31 and he was dropping off a bit so I accepted a £35million offer from Man City and sold him. After a year of him doing nothing for City and being on the bench the majority of the time, I bought him back for £3 million. He wasn't 1st choice after that, but it was great to have him back.

I spent an enormous amount of time on CM, particularly during my student years. For the life of me I can't actually remember doing anything with Derby! I got them into the top flight many times, but then I'd go all Billy Bigbollux and take over Man Utd or Real Madrid.

I can remember playing as Milan and blowing my entire transfer budget on Shearer. Worked though, he got 90-odd goals in his first season.

Also remember doing cartwheels when I managed to sign George Weah at Everton! :lol:

Football Manager on the Acorn Electron in the mid 80's:

12 teams per divison, 22 game season.

No match graphics (the Electron only had 32k memory!)

I remember being a bit pissed off after quite a few seasons when little clubs like Bournemouth started getting into the top division. So unrealistic!.

I Started it in the 98/99 seasons on the PC. Played them all until 05/06 not brought one since. Me and my mates used to spend all day on them.. The amount of time's we'd leave it auto playing over night is silly.. Looking back I didn't see the point of us doing it lol.

I'm currently in 2022/2023 season on FM15, after taking Eastleigh from Vanarama Conference to the Premier League in about 5 years, I resigned, now boss of Huddersfield Town and top of the Prem, no changes to the database or any cheats.

The one thing that annoys me is the lack of ability to migrate games to new versions. For that reason, I tend to get every other year, so the last one I bought was 2013. Plus there's more difference between the two.

2 hours ago, Daveo said:

Don't you have to pre order at £35 to gain access to the Beta? if I don't get that 6 months game time to draw me in I'm not paying. 

Could be had for £27 from Greenmangaming

2 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Not on topic buy has anyone tried the Beta version of 2016? 

Guys on OTF2 have been playing it a fair bit and its more of the same. FM15 was a pretty solid game and it carries on from there, previously the ME changed a lot between versions and it felt very different but not this time apparently.

Big issue with injuries at the moment, should be fixed in day one patch but that happens every year :D

1 hour ago, AnimalisaRam said:

The one thing that annoys me is the lack of ability to migrate games to new versions. For that reason, I tend to get every other year, so the last one I bought was 2013. Plus there's more difference between the two.

Back in the old CM3 days with the yearly updates (99/00, 00/01, 01/02) you used to be able to move the saves, that seemed to stop with Football Manager.

Thing is with me, I see the price, £27, £35 whatever and I think, it's just pretty much the same game, few new "features", edited squads and updated interview preset answers....it doesn't make me want to go out and buy.

Give me a free demo, reach Christmas, 2 points off the top of the league, January transfer window opens, I've had a few beers, game locked. Purchase now to unlock the full game, here take my credit card details, let me play on! I'll complete the season, play on for another couple until the gen players start taking over. I'm bored. Never play again.

Soon as it loses the players I recognise, that's it for me, managing Derby or Celtic that's it, Celtic get's boring even quicker so the game as limited playability

Last year was the first year since the original CM2 that I haven't picked it up. Will miss again this year as well. Don't have the time, and, as per @Daveo says, once you get bored with it, that's it, wiped from the HDD never to return.

Plus it used to p1ss me off every year, having to source and then replace the Premier League kits/logos etc. 

The number of bugs present at release these days (even after their beta period) are generally pretty shocking. It's normally best to just wait until the game is actually finished around March. Looking at how little they've done for this version (they've basically added Frankenstein's monster manager editor and made the tactics screen tablet friendly, as well as a bunch of little gimmicky things), it will take something really impressive for me to bother buying it this year.

It amazes me how they break the game so much between final patch in Feb/March and new game release in November.

Doesn't help that the attitude in the studio at SI is awful, have beta tested and know of lots of people who have reported numerous bugs that have been laughed off and ignored. Then you have fanboys on the SI forums rimming the dev team and again rejecting any claims of bugs that are game breaking.

Whoever signed off on the manager creator needs taking out back and shooting.

Archived