If you are late you will be dropped...

McRamFan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the interview, not a punishment but just a victim of circumstance.

FORMER England international striker Darren Bent was left out of Derby County's 18 today after turning up late.

Bent was stuck in traffic on the way to the home game against Brentford, which the Rams won 2-0 thanks to goals from Chris Martin and Tom Ince.

Head coach Paul Clement said it was "unfortunate" for Bent, but he had to name the team and substitutes.

"He got caught in a lot of traffic, it can happen to anybody," Clement added.

"I couldn't be totally sure what time he would arrive.

"He did arrive in plenty of time in order to play the game but I needed to name the team and the substitutes, so at that point I needed to make a decision and I made the decision to leave him out.

"He arrived before the team sheet went in but after I named the team to the players and the substitutes to the players.

"You name the team and subs, and he is not in it, and then to change it you have then got to put him in it and take somebody else out of it.

"So no, I had to make a decision.

"It is not a decision I wanted to have to make, but I made it and I have to stand by that.

"Thats it, end of story.

"He (Bent) was disappointed. It can happen. Everybody has been late at some point.

"We were in communication, but we couldn't be sure when he would arrive.

"Let's move on from that. That was the situation and they are the details."

Asked if Bent's late arrival would lead to more action against the player, Clement said: "No."

PC's right for sure, you can't say OK lads "you get to play, you're on the bench" and then when someone turns up late walk back in with, "OK, you're not playing, sit on the bench and you aren't even in the squad."

Personally agree, just has the manager got the balls if it was Chris Martin...

No doubt about it in my mind. Clement is growing in confidence.If he is in the top three at Xmas then Mel will splash the cash again. Clement expects to succeed as it is all he has known. How much difference has Kevin Phillips made? I suspect a great deal of difference.

This is no big deal. Radio Derby seemed like they were trying to make it a big thing

I agree they were. Falling into the trap of the typical British media. We've just played the best 45 minutes of football yet under Clement and Radio Derby only seemed to want to talk about Bent after the game. Very sad.

Archived