Chris Evans has resigned

SuperSheep

Chris Evans has resigned from his position as Head of Football Operations at Derby County with immediate effect.
Evans, 52, joined the club in November 2013 and amongst other responsibilities he oversaw Derby’s senior football recruitment department.

He had previously worked at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield Wednesday in a number of senior football positions prior to linking up with the Rams.

Derby County’s President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “Chris has worked diligently in the position of Head of Football Operations since joining Derby County just under two years ago.

“Chris arrived with a particular emphasis on developing the senior football recruitment department, after we decided to operate with a head coach rather than a traditional manager.

“He has fulfilled his brief successfully, with great tenacity and expertise.

“There are no immediate plans to replace Chris; however the club will continue to review the off-field operations from time to time. 

“The club would like to wish Chris every success in the future and thank him for all his hard work during his time at Derby County.”

Evans said: “It has been an honour and a privilege to have represented Derby County during the past two years.

"I wish to thank what are truly very loyal and passionate fans, my colleagues and in particular a very talented squad of players.

“Sam Rush, as President & Chief Executive, has been an inspiration and I thank him for his support in putting together a squad which will hopefully help the club achieve its Premier League objective.

“I must also pay tribute to Mel Morris, the club’s Chairman, whose vision, drive and leadership will ensure Derby has a very bright future; he is a very impressive man.

“I now look to new challenges in my personal career, whilst wishing Paul Clement and all at Derby County continued success.”

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, when I suggested that he should have left with Steve and that his transfers have been poop, I got jumped on in here.

There are enough people on this forum that you'll get jumped on whatever your stance. His "huge network of scouts across Europe" were clearly off sick during his tenure.

Would suggest that his job description has been taken over by several people - he's been phased out.

Excellent. I wonder if he had anything to do with the capture of Johnson? (I'd add Butterfield to that but I'm still waiting for the rest of him to arrive.)

Bizarre to say the least.

Trying to look at the positives - no immediate plans to replace, may be because the transfer window is closed and we can fish the loan market ourselves for a while, then maybe appoint someone else in late November/early December when we have a better idea of what's needed in January?!

If not that then yeah - what exactly did he do?

Bizarre to say the least.

Trying to look at the positives - no immediate plans to replace, may be because the transfer window is closed and we can fish the loan market ourselves for a while, then maybe appoint someone else in late November/early December when we have a better idea of what's needed in January?!

If not that then yeah - what exactly did he do?

That's a good question, got me thinking. Here's a list of all (first team) players signed in his tenure (minus some from 13/14 I couldnt work out who were Jan signings and who were summer as he joined us in Nov 13)

Thorne

Albentosa

Christie

Bent (loan - perm)

Whitbread 

Butland (loan)

Ibe (loan)

Warnock

Mascarell (loan)

Ince (loan - perm)

Shotton

Lingard (loan)

Best

Johnson

Butterfield

Shackell

Weimann

Pearce

Baird

Carson

I'm pretty sure Dawkins joined on loan in January after Evans did but I'm not 100%

Edit: I notice the transfer seem a lot stronger this summer after (you'd imagine) these new people were already in place? Pure speculation of course.

Thinking about it – all we ever heard about Chris Evans was how tenacious he was at landing his man. Remember the stories about running in front of planes on the runway to stop players going elsewhere (OK maybe I misremembered that *slightly*)

But yeah – stories about what a good job he did in getting the players he identified over the line. Which is all well and good, but kind of remniniscent of the sketch on Big Train about  100m sprinter who was the fastest man on the planet but couldn’t run in a straight line. If his players choices were ropey in the first place, then his smooth talking to land them was neither here nor there

Thinking about it – all we ever heard about Chris Evans was how tenacious he was at landing his man. Remember the stories about running in front of planes on the runway to stop players going elsewhere (OK maybe I misremembered that *slightly*)

But yeah – stories about what a good job he did in getting the players he identified over the line. Which is all well and good, but kind of remniniscent of the sketch on Big Train about  100m sprinter who was the fastest man on the planet but couldn’t run in a straight line. If his players choices were ropey in the first place, then his smooth talking to land them was neither here nor there

Sam Rush has been falsely getting that credit for ages. All we heard during the summer was "Sam always gets his man"... Maybe it was Chris that ensured no target slipped through our fingers once we homed in on them.

That's a good question, got me thinking. Here's a list of all (first team) players signed in his tenure (minus some from 13/14 I couldnt work out who were Jan signings and who were summer as he joined us in Nov 13)

Thorne

Albentosa

Christie

Bent (loan - perm)

Whitbread 

Butland (loan)

Ibe (loan)

Warnock

Mascarell (loan)

Ince (loan - perm)

Shotton

Lingard (loan)

Best

Johnson

Butterfield

Shackell

Weimann

Pearce

Baird

Carson

I'm pretty sure Dawkins joined on loan in January after Evans did but I'm not 100%

Edit: I notice the transfer seem a lot stronger this summer after (you'd imagine) these new people were already in place? Pure speculation of course.

I'd say Whitbread was signed on the same weekend Clough was sacked? I'm pretty sure he was.

Archived