Chris Evans has resigned

SuperSheep

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Whitbread was signed on the same weekend Clough was sacked? I'm pretty sure he was.

It was announced pretty much immediately the sacking was I think.

Yeah, it was the loan. He was signed permanently next summer though I thought.

Hit and miss signings

Bamford - Hit
Christie - Hit
Bent (Loan) - Hit
Butland - Hit
Ibe - Hit
Ince (Loan) - Hit
Thorne (Loan) - Hit

Warnock - Miss
Mascarell - Miss
Keane - Miss
Albentosa - Miss
Best - Miss
Shotton - Miss
Lingard - Miss

*Not counting this season as it's unfair to judge them on not even a quarter of a season
** Sam Rush is responsible for all the hits and Evans is to blame for all the misses

On September 29, 2013, Derby County announced that Whitbread had signed on a three-month loan deal. He scored on his debut in a 4–4 draw at home to Ipswich Town.[9]

At the end of the 2013–14 season, Whitbread was released by Leicester City.[10] On June 25, 2014, Whitbread agreed a one-year deal to join Derby County on a permanent basis.

Add him to the miss list

Hit and miss signings

Bamford - Hit
Christie - Hit
Bent (Loan) - Hit
Butland - Hit
Ibe - Hit
Ince (Loan) - Hit
Thorne (Loan) - Hit

Warnock - Miss
Mascarell - Miss
Keane - Miss
Albentosa - Miss
Best - Miss
Shotton - Miss
Lingard - Miss

*Not counting this season as it's unfair to judge them on not even a quarter of a season
** Sam Rush is responsible for all the hits and Evans is to blame for all the misses

Every hit except Christie was a loan (at least to begin with). That's interesting.

Hit and miss signings

Bamford - Hit
Christie - Hit
Bent (Loan) - Hit
Butland - Hit
Ibe - Hit
Ince (Loan) - Hit
Thorne (Loan) - Hit

Warnock - Miss - Squad filler, cannot be considered a miss
Mascarell - Miss - No chance, our fall coincided with his injury.
Keane - Miss - squad filler
Albentosa - Miss - I suppose I have to concede this is fair
Best - Miss - squad filler
Shotton - Miss - subjective but won't argue
Lingard - Miss - debatable as he scored goals in a losing team

Personally, I think it's harsh to criticise signings that are not bought in for the first team. Every manager buys fringe players who don't really get involved.

Personally, I think it's harsh to criticise signings that are not bought in for the first team. Every manager buys fringe players who don't really get involved.

A squad filler still has to do something when he plays. You don't sign people purely to have their name on a big list of players. Although I personally don't consider Mascarell a miss. 

A squad filler still has to do something when he plays. You don't sign people purely to have their name on a big list of players. Although I personally don't consider Mascarell a miss. 

fair enough, but which players didn't do 'something'? Define 'something' as it's very subjective as to what that something is. Simply someone like Leon Best could've been bought in to keep the opposition busy whilst Martin recovered/rested, yet you lot think because he didn't score 300 goals in his 300 minutes, he was a failure. Same with Warnock, he cannot be considered a failure yet.

fair enough, but which players didn't do 'something'? Define 'something' as it's very subjective as to what that something is. Simply someone like Leon Best could've been bought in to keep the opposition busy whilst Martin recovered/rested, yet you lot think because he didn't score 300 goals in his 300 minutes, he was a failure. Same with Warnock, he cannot be considered a failure yet.

Don't pretend people were over expectant of Best, in his entire time here he got one assist and no goals

I will like to think that all signings are brought in to fight for a place in the first team and those that fail to push for a place are rightly judged. Evans deserves to getting sacked not let him resign if he's been allowed to go identify players that are nowhere good enough for the team.

Warnock - Miss - Squad filler, cannot be considered a miss
Player of the season at Leeds prior to joining us, doubt he was brought in just to make up the numbers

Mascarell - Miss - No chance, our fall coincided with his injury.
Our fail coincided with Eustace and Martin getting injured, not Mascarell, if Omar was called Dave Bloggs and came from Burton putting the same performances in no way would anyone be singing his praises or trying to find him a new position in the team. Sexy Spanish name, Real Madrid, hook line and sinker.

Don't pretend people were over expectant of Best, in his entire time here he got one assist and no goals

I don't get which angle you're coming from. Are you saying that you deludedly expected Bent-like scoring figures from him, and are disappointed? or are you saying that you knew he was **** and are harshly judging him even though he matched your expectations? He was a squad filler, on the cheap. The criticisms should go to whoever limited us to cheap squad fillers.

Funny that the only photo Radio Derby could find of Chris Evans for there tweet was one of him shaking Macs hand.... Reading between the lines... Are the local media/press happy he's gone? 

Archived