Chris Evans has resigned

SuperSheep

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Derby have made big additions to their off-field/analytics team"

Is it just me, or does it sound like were going about things in a similiar ilk to brentford? 

no, not at all. A good friend of mine made the shortlist for the off-field analytics job, and it was based on Real Madrid, not Brentford. In fact, the reference document was Real Madrid's!!

I am guessing that with the additions of the extra coach and the analytical team expansion, then the budget maxed out and something / someone had to give. Despite the extra spending, Mel Morris will have expectations that budgets are being worked within or he simply would not have made it as a successful businessman - always know your numbers!!!

PS I've no idea 'who did what' in relation to transfers....but I think the 'hit' to 'miss' rate is pretty good. Also wouldn't have believed a year or two ago that likes of Johnson, Weimann, Bent, Ince, Shackell would have come here, so someone has done a very good job selling the club. Any negatives on transfer policy for me would not be about the 'quality' of player but more around whether the right players have been bought to fill the positions where we most need them....surely that is the manager's role right there?

Concerns me that the only person with experience in professional football although this is limited ,gets to be director of football--ie head of recruitment ,as gone leaving us with a team of Sam Rush-Sam Rush--Sam Rush.--Mel Morris dont count as he owns the club.This leaves a big ask for Paul Clements to build a side from the players at his disposal

And i am sure he will do a good job .

The new system seems to work throw money at it And i must say the change in running the football club works.

Only now the system of a director of football; introduced by the club is  tainted.

Clough--Manager --replaced by Director of football Evans.

Maclaren--head coach sacked -replaced by Clement.

Evans departs as director of football

Stability is not the order of the club at the moment.-

Tension and change is, what a season we are havin

Manager we ain-t got one.The selection Committee signs the players who  shall remain nameless ,so know blame can be

laid at their door The Head Coach then turns them into a successful team or is sacked ,because we know who he is;

I had hoped the director of football and the Head Coach would have a. big input

But we now have no director of football or Head of recruitment ,big title ,so is input not required.

Point is we have no Manager in charge of football affairs 

Derby County's dilemma is 'simple'. At Xmas, if we look like getting automatic promotion with our existing players?

Option 1- Sign some players on loan with a view to buy to bridge the gap to the Premier side that we hope to be

Option 2 - Stick with what we have and address the situation in the summer

Option 3 - Move out players that are clearly not going to figure this season or next and make a couple of expensive signings

Option 4 - Some mixture of above three options

My view is to identify the players that do not figure strongly in our plans and move them out and get some loans in with a view to buy if we get promoted. If any really outstanding players that we have already hoped to get in, become available then buy a couple at about £5 million apiece.so that they will have settled in if we get promoted.

Conclusion - Tricky isn't it.

Concerns me that the only person with experience in professional football although this is limited ,gets to be director of football--ie head of recruitment ,as gone leaving us with a team of Sam Rush-Sam Rush--Sam Rush.--Mel Morris dont count as he owns the club.This leaves a big ask for Paul Clements to build a side from the players at his disposal

And i am sure he will do a good job .

The new system seems to work throw money at it And i must say the change in running the football club works.

Only now the system of a director of football; introduced by the club is  tainted.

Clough--Manager --replaced by Director of football Evans.

Maclaren--head coach sacked -replaced by Clement.

Evans departs as director of football

Stability is not the order of the club at the moment.-

Tension and change is, what a season we are havin

Manager we ain-t got one.The selection Committee signs the players who  shall remain nameless ,so know blame can be

laid at their door The Head Coach then turns them into a successful team or is sacked ,because we know who he is;

I had hoped the director of football and the Head Coach would have a. big input

But we now have no director of football or Head of recruitment ,big title ,so is input not required.

Point is we have no Manager in charge of football affairs 

Sorry but this is a ridiculous post and I question that all you are trying to do is stir something up that isn't even remotely an issue.

So let's point out the facts:

1) We have an owner who has Been in and around football for a long time, transitioned back into the club rather that bought it out overnight and is a fan of the club, which at this point in time is an advantage.

2) We have a CEO who has won recently an award for being the best CEO outside the Premier if I am not mistaken. Through this role and previous employment, he has been connected to the game for 20 plus years dealing with players and importantly agents.

3) Our finance director was previously at Chelsea in a similar capacity. The money to control then would have been far superior to what he has to deal with now. I'm confident that when we get promoted, as a business we will be able to manage the transition from a £20 million turnover to a £100 million turnover.

4) John Vicars has been in situ for a number of years on the operations side offering stability. I'm glad he is taking a more 'private' stance than his dabbing with social media which was never going to end well. 

Onto the football:

5) Clement has a fine pedigree at three of the biggest clubs in the world. Everyone has to make the first step at some point and he has chosen DCFC. I'm glad he has and will give him at least a season to prove himself, not ten or so games like a number of you. The key for Clement is he is working within and contributing to a model which he agrees to. (So he has said). He coaches the first team, he makes the final call on players coming into the first team and he makes recommendations on scouting and analytics on who to bring in. 

6) The coaching looks strong. Clement has coached and improved the best players in the world. Peacock, who Clement has known for many years has thirty years experience coaching and elite age group levels. Phillips albeit relatively new to coaching has a strong potential to be a top class manager in the future. Not seen a single negative word said about him. The GK coach is a harder one to comment on but again, Clement has seen him in work before so could provide his own reference.

Scouting:

7) Evans has gone but it's clear DCFC, through the recommendations of Clement have gone about putting in place a network  that he likes and knows. There is no fanfare about this, it's just been Done privately. Do we have a right to know how this is set up and who it is - no we don't. I trust Rush and Clement if they are happy with it. I think it's no surprise we waited until after the window was closed to let Evans leave. He probably helped on Butterfield and Johnson, but if the 'team' below him is now structured differenty, his post almost becomes redundant.

So you ask who is in charge? Well, I don't have an org chart to hand but...

8) Everyone will report into the CEO, who in turn reports into the owner and chairman. Clement will report into Rush. I imagine only the coaches and players report into Clement but the other areas of the business football wise will no doubt have a big say from Clement.

So when you ask who is in charge of football - well the above for me is straightforward and simple. Nothing to be upset about here and probably the same model you will find in 95% of clubs now.

PAUL Clement says Derby County's aim is to be "very forward thinking" in their approach to recruitment.

The Rams' head coach was speaking in the wake of Chris Evans' resignation as head of football operations.

Evans was appointed in November 2013 to develop the club's senior football recruitment department.

There are no immediate plans to replace Evans, who was in his role for less than two years.

Clement praised the work of Evans and outlined how the club's strategy on recruitment will work moving forward.

The plan is for the recruitment department and the match observation departments to work together closely, scouting and analytics working hand in hand.

"We want a nice blend of the art of watching an opponent and watching a player combined with the science of it," said Clement.

"There is so much information available now in terms of data and video. We really want those two departments to be working hand in hand because there is a lot of cross over.

"We look forward to that particular area moving forward as this club moves forward.

"We want to be very forward thinking in the way we approach recruitment and match observation."

Clement revealed there was one person working on match observation when he arrived at the club at the beginning of June.

"That department has grown very quickly," he said.

"We are up to seven, and will more than likely go to eight or nine people, and that is just looking at the opposition. It is something I take very seriously.

"The existing scouting department that worked under Chris Evans is still in place, and they will continue to do their job."

Clement, whose previous role was assistant coach at Real Madrid, thanked Evans for his help.

"Having worked abroad for the last four years and even before that at Premier League level, I didn't have a great understanding of players at Championship level," said Clement.

"So Chris made me feel very welcome and I was brought up to speed very quickly on the club's targets because a lot of the work with the initial signings was well down the line with the likes of Alex Pearce, Andreas Weimann, Tom Ince and Darren Bent.

"Chris and myself worked very closely with Sam Rush and the chairman to make sure we brought good players to the club in the last window.

"With a lot of help from Chris, we were able to do that.

"He did a very good job over the two years he was here."

wow how many chickens have you counted? This set up is still very much a work in progress... Chris Evans leaving maybe a sign they are not happy with recent recruits which might suggest more change to come. Could be very difficult to get promoted with all these changes, plus the injuries to hughes Bryso and thorne. 

Its just what happens to Derby!

I have no scientific reason for believing but, based on 45+ years of suffering supporting DCFC, I just know we're going up this season.

Its obvious.

we'll bump along for a few more weeks, start to win a few home games, maintain our ability to grind out points away, have Bryson and Thorne fit for a run of games and suddenly hit or stumble on the right formation/line up.

By the new year we'll be fooking unstoppable.

If none of you can't see it I suggest, with respect, that you are all plastic, half fans. At best.

And we'll win the Cup.

Its just what happens to Derby!

I have no scientific reason for believing but, based on 45+ years of suffering supporting DCFC, I just know we're going up this season.

Its obvious.

we'll bump along for a few more weeks, start to win a few home games, maintain our ability to grind out points away, have Bryson and Thorne fit for a run of games and suddenly hit or stumble on the right formation/line up.

By the new year we'll be fooking unstoppable.

If none of you can't see it I suggest, with respect, that you are all plastic, half fans. At best.

And we'll win the Cup.

This will be all over LTLF in March.

:ph34r:

This marks another step in the right direction. We're moving forward at such breathtaking speed it's truly remarkable. Mr Morris clearly wants his beloved football club eating at the top table of English football and no stone will be left unturned to achieve it.

One of the most highly sought after coaches in the game choosing us as his first club, , massive investment in the club's infrastructure from grass roots at the academy through the first team player's, ground improvements and now mirroring the big boys with regards anylalsis and recruitment. 

We're going places and I like it.

DTID !!!

Archived