Martin

Tombo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football today is full of athletes. Some have very little footballing ability and tactical intelligence. People shouldn't take this the wrong way, but Martin is not an athlete. If he was he would be an unbelievable striker/player. 

Yes he is. He's a professional athlete. He gets paid for it and everything.

Only just seen yesterday's goals, and I'm still frankly astounded that we managed to get Chris Martin on a free. 

As much as it's nice to see the club spending money for the first time in years, I can't imagine us finding a similar gem on a free any time soon. 

Norwich could not have rated him to let him go. Its a shame the Scotland manager prefers starting with Fletcher who never seems to score. He needs to watch Russell and Martin's link up play at Derby, then they wouldn't be on the bench for the Jocks

Norwich could not have rated him to let him go. Its a shame the Scotland manager prefers starting with Fletcher who never seems to score. He needs to watch Russell and Martin's link up play at Derby, then they wouldn't be on the bench for the Jocks

Do feel a bit grieved Martin and Russell weren't given more game time, however Scotland's loss is our gain, at least they were saved from injury 

From what I've gather he wasn't going through the best of times, criminal charges, pub watch (if the rumours are true) think he just needed a fresh start. He was on bench at Swindon before he came to us, he couldn't even get a look in there. I won't lie when he first signed on loan for is I was far convinced, how wrong I was! Turned into the best striker I've witnessed at Derby and probably my favourite player. The man is instrumental to every thing we do. Football fans love seeing their club spend big money on quality players but how much more satisfying is it to get somebody on a free who turns into your most influential player?!

Do feel a bit grieved Martin and Russell weren't given more game time, however Scotland's loss is our gain, at least they were saved from injury 

Having watched Martin's 50 goals video, one thing becomes clear - Martin and Russell are an incredible pairing .Martin is some version of Sheringham in the footballing brains department. Joy to watch.

A very deceptive player .. Sometimes his lack of pace frustrates but he is one of those gems .. A crafty and intelligent footballer with a good touch. I suspect / hope that because his game isn't built on speed that he will continue to improve and may well be a later day Teddy Sherringham 

Think I've said similar to this before, but he has a yard of pace where it matters most - in his brain.

England loves a tricky, pacy winger. There's a 10 a penny. There's a place for it, but your team shouldn't revolve around it.

What you need is brains. Footballing intelligence. That's the yard of pace you can't lose, to injury* or age.

(*Unless you have your head lopped off..)

At what point do we start classing him as a legend at the club? Scored 20+ goals two seasons in a row, is a fans favourite and personifies the entire derby style of play. Will we talk about him in 15/20 years time in the same way we talk about wanchope, eranio etc?

this is interesting and probably deserving of its own thread .. How do you define legend ? Clearly the member of a trophy winning team is going to be front of the queue, then appearances in the shirt add to the equation, then strike rate for strikers or goals scored in total. I can't go with just he was in the team for a long time. There has to be something special that lifts a player above those that did a job passably well and put enough shifts in. They might be classed well remembered Rams who fought for the cause but a legend is something different ( IMO ! ) 

this is interesting and probably deserving of its own thread .. How do you define legend ? Clearly the member of a trophy winning team is going to be front of the queue, then appearances in the shirt add to the equation, then strike rate for strikers or goals scored in total. I can't go with just he was in the team for a long time. There has to be something special that lifts a player above those that did a job passably well and put enough shifts in. They might be classed well remembered Rams who fought for the cause but a legend is something different ( IMO ! ) 

if he was Italian, he would already be considered a legend IMO. His histrionics prevent people from truly loving him, but as I say, they are standard behaviour for the average Italian footballer!

At what point do we start classing him as a legend at the club? Scored 20+ goals two seasons in a row, is a fans favourite and personifies the entire derby style of play. Will we talk about him in 15/20 years time in the same way we talk about wanchope, eranio etc?

wanchope isn't a legend here, he had almost 3/4 of a decent season for us and left as soon as there was a better offer. 

As I have said before, Eranio was, in my opinion a very good player but I would never say he was a legend...

Archived