Martin

Tombo

Some of us older ones might relate him more to John O'Hare.

So many similarities : Skill receiving the ball, skill on the ball, one of the best players I've seen at Derby with his back to the goal (and still kept coming back for more when fouled), excellent in bringing others into play, scores his share of goals, little pace, intelligent footballer, and Scottish as well.

Not sure he could lead Mike England (Spurs) a merry dance like John did in that Seventies 5-0 thrashing though - at the final whistle the poor guy didn't know whether he had been punched, bored or countersunk!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely spot on Monsieur Dordogne - it has surprised me how little his comparison to John O hare has been brought up. You are absolutely right - I have never seen another player since who resembles his play more. JOH was my boyhood hero when the Rams and Cloughie were just coming into their pomp 

And Mr Clough clearly felt the same, taking him to Leeds and Forest at the earliest opportunity.

One of my proudest moments was asking my hero for a pint of bitter after he had retired when he used to run a pub in Duffield - totally bizarre.

So well done to Chris, a very rare and under-rated player

And according to Gordon Stachan's team selection Steve Flethcher is better than him???:ph34r:

Well all know Martin's qualities, but I can see why he's not suited to international football. Scotland will never be able to get the best out of him, unless they play someone inferior - which is rare. Scotland have to play quite deep and the ball moves around a lot slower in international football, and that's two things which conspire against Martin heavily. He needs players making runs, overlapping, and playing close to him. The striking role for Scotland can be quite a lonely and isolated one, which couldn't suit Martin less.

this is interesting and probably deserving of its own thread .. How do you define legend ? Clearly the member of a trophy winning team is going to be front of the queue, then appearances in the shirt add to the equation, then strike rate for strikers or goals scored in total. I can't go with just he was in the team for a long time. There has to be something special that lifts a player above those that did a job passably well and put enough shifts in. They might be classed well remembered Rams who fought for the cause but a legend is something different ( IMO ! ) 

This argument has been had on this forum a million times but a "legend" I think has to etch their name into history in a significant way. A major trophy or big records broken. Steve Bloomer is a legend as he was the first star that the club had and is our all time highest scorer. Jackie Stamps is a legend as a major part of the 1946 FA Cup winning team. Dave Mackay is a legend as manager of the 1975 League winning team, but also as a major part of Derby's journey from the Second Division in 1967 to the First Division title in 1972 under Brian Clough.

The question of "legendary" for me is not will we be talking about Chris Martin in 15/20 years time, but will we be talking about him in 100 years time, when people who saw him play are all long dead? Probably not to be fair to the lad!

But will Chris Martin be a celebrated and revered figure at the club after he's gone? Probably, if he continues to play like this for a few more seasons. Will I be telling my grandchildren about him? Outside possibility. Will he be a legendary figure that will be remembered in the history books? I highly doubt it!

Well all know Martin's qualities, but I can see why he's not suited to international football. Scotland will never be able to get the best out of him, unless they play someone inferior - which is rare. Scotland have to play quite deep and the ball moves around a lot slower in international football, and that's two things which conspire against Martin heavily. He needs players making runs, overlapping, and playing close to him. The striking role for Scotland can be quite a lonely and isolated one, which couldn't suit Martin less.

Cheer up Lad

Tomorrow will be a better day, I can feel it

Absolutely spot on Monsieur Dordogne - it has surprised me how little his comparison to John O hare has been brought up. You are absolutely right - I have never seen another player since who resembles his play more. JOH was my boyhood hero when the Rams and Cloughie were just coming into their pomp 

And Mr Clough clearly felt the same, taking him to Leeds and Forest at the earliest opportunity.

One of my proudest moments was asking my hero for a pint of bitter after he had retired when he used to run a pub in Duffield - totally bizarre.

So well done to Chris, a very rare and under-rated player

i felt the same when Zak served me a pint of Ruddles in the Staff of Life  @Ticknall

Archived