Wayne Rooney

Day

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then I don't know why they are quoting and replying to me. I haven't mentioned Charlton once. My argument is Rooney is not world class. 

Rooney perhaps isn't world class anymore - he certainly isn't a cemented world class player. However, he's been world class for a good period of his career. 

He's not the player he once was now, but he's had many years at the top level. It is an achievement to see him still at the top level, despite not having the impact he once did. 

I seem to recall entire matches, if not entire completions, when Rooney was not only anonymous but a liability in an England shirt. His work rate at times has bordered on the lethargic. When on for he holds the England team together but I don't see him as world class if by that we mean a player who would be in the starting line up of the universe cup for the Earth vs Mars game.

the last world class player we had IMO has been Frank Lampard.

I seem to recall entire matches, if not entire completions, when Rooney was not only anonymous but a liability in an England shirt. His work rate at times has bordered on the lethargic. When on for he holds the England team together but I don't see him as world class if by that we mean a player who would be in the starting line up of the universe cup for the Earth vs Mars game.

we would smash Mars. 

Fat Frank? World class? 

isn't 'great' a measure of size? Effectively the biggest?

Great, in common parlance, means err, great, smashin, super, that sort of thing which is fine. Rooney is all of those things in that context. But it doesn't make him England's greatest ever goalscorer, only the highest ever goalscorer.

England's greatest ever goalscorer could be Steve Bloomer for instance, or Jimmy Greaves (as in goals per game played) rather than simply being the highest scorer.

It is by far the most pedantic and ridiculous argument of all time tbf. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived