Wayne Rooney

Day

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They played less games, for whatever reason.

Because the manager didn't think they were the best player for the team....common theme here....next you will be telling me Connor sammon would have been Derbys best forward...had he played more

He'd get into some of those teams but certainly wouldn't get into Barca or Real Madrid's team. Say that to a barca or real fan and they'd laugh at you for sure. I doubt ibra would move positions to accomodate rooney. No way he'd get into the atletico team ahead of griezmann or martinez, rooney doesn't score enough goals and isn't that fast. Out of those teams he probably would get into Arsenal's,Chelsea's,City's and Juventus' teams.

Would any top team want a striker in their team that hasn't scored over 20 goals in over 3 seasons? No

He'd easily be chosen ahead of Benzema. You keep banging on about, 'what team would want a striker who hasn't scored over 20 goals in over 3 seasons?' Check the stats, neither has Benzema. And you also fail to mention that in those past 3 seasons Wayne Rooney was playing in midfield for the majority of the season and not as the main striker. Yes Griezmann and Martinez are very good players, but Rooney would easily start ahead of both of them. Atletico would probably just play Griezmann out on the left like he did at Sociedad. And I didn't suggest Ibra moving to accommodate Rooney, of course that wouldn't happen, but I imagine Rooney would start as the left forward, Ibra in the centre and Cavani on the right.

It all depends on people's opinions on what makes someone world class, but in my eyes if a player could get into nearly every team in the world, he is definitely a world class player. Us English folk seem to overrate our own youngsters who make the England senior squad, but then underrate the older players because they haven't single handedly won us a world cup :lol:

Because the manager didn't think they were the best player for the team....common theme here....next you will be telling me Connor sammon would have been Derbys best forward...had he played more

'The manager didn't think they were the best player for the team' - Did they phone you up and tell you that then?

Or they were injured a lot, or there were less internationals when they played. 

No no, it's your line of reasoning that suggests if Sammon had played more, he could have been the greatest. Can you really not see that?

He'd easily be chosen ahead of Benzema. You keep banging on about, 'what team would want a striker who hasn't scored over 20 goals in over 3 seasons?' Check the stats, neither has Benzema. And you also fail to mention that in those past 3 seasons Wayne Rooney was playing in midfield for the majority of the season and not as the main striker. Yes Griezmann and Martinez are very good players, but Rooney would easily start ahead of both of them. Atletico would probably just play Griezmann out on the left like he did at Sociedad. And I didn't suggest Ibra moving to accommodate Rooney, of course that wouldn't happen, but I imagine Rooney would start as the left forward, Ibra in the centre and Cavani on the right.

It all depends on people's opinions on what makes someone world class, but in my eyes if a player could get into nearly every team in the world, he is definitely a world class player. Us English folk seem to overrate our own youngsters who make the England senior squad, but then underrate the older players because they haven't single handedly won us a world cup :lol:

Actually Benzema has scored 22,24 and 20 goals respectively in the last 3 seasons and something crazy like 20+ assists in each of those seasons. Now that is world class in my eyes. In each of those seasons the majority of Rooney's games have been played up front according to the stats. I hope I don't get misinterpreted here. I think that Rooney is a brilliant player just not world class in my opinion and he has been really average in the premier league so far this season

Actually Benzema has scored 22,24 and 20 goals respectively in the last 3 seasons and something crazy like 20+ assists in each of those seasons. Now that is world class in my eyes. In each of those seasons the majority of Rooney's games have been played up front according to the stats. I hope I don't get misinterpreted here. I think that Rooney is a brilliant player just not world class in my opinion and he has been really average in the premier league so far this season

Playing against whom? I think I'd score against some of the bottom half sides in La Liga. Look how well Albentosa did ffs.

Playing against whom? I think I'd score against some of the bottom half sides in La Liga. Look how well Albentosa did ffs.

And look at the bottom sides in the prem? Sides like Sunderland are utter dross. Stupid comparison comparing Albentosa. La liga and the premier league have different styles and their are a variety of different factors that you need to take into consideration. Put Shackell in the spanish team and he'd flop because he can't pass the ball.

This ignorance and some may call it arrogance is why the majority of people outside the uk hate us, we think our league and teams are much better than everyone elses

how about you look up "greatest ever goalscorer in English history" go on google it, guess who it will say....

and do you know why it will say it..? Because he is.

some people, you included, just love to beat down anything good/positive that happens to the national team...it's so boring and so NOT a hipster thing to do anymore..

you keep on moaning about him and I will keep on smiling safe with the knowledge that in my life time I have seen the greatest ever English goal scorer that has ever lived....and to top it off, he did it against the Swiss.!

You really are lashing out at random, aren't you, and now somebody else has tried to impart a little reason into what is becoming more and more a 'Look at me, look at MuespachRam' attention-whoring thread, you have decided to turn your attention to me by making up lies. Do you often do that when the red mist descends, and you cannot get your own way?

For your information, I have stated long and often that Wayne Rooney is, by far and away, the best English player of his generation - note, PLAYER, not just GOALSCORER or even FORWARD. I've put those words in block capitals because you seem to be having a great amount of difficulty in reading what anybody else has written, so caught up in your own anti-everyone who might appear to be anti-Wayne Rooney rhetoric you appear to be.

I haven't said one single word detrimental to Wayne Rooney - I am, however, less inclined to give you the benefit of any doubt I implied a while ago, when I thought that you were being humorous and trolling the board, and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you're just a bit slow on the uptake.

'Greatest' always requires criteria - it requires a frame of reference, it requires qualification. Rooney has scored the greatest number of goals for England.

This ignorance and some may call it arrogance is why the majority of people outside the uk hate us, we think our league and teams are much better than everyone elses

1. Albentosa had the worst distribution I've seen from a Rams defender in my many years supporting the club. 

2. Arrogance? There's no arrogance about it. The Premier league as a "division" is the best by an absolute mile. That's because TV expenditure is spread out equally between every side. In La Liga, and other major leagues, the money is distributed based on how many times sides are shown on TV, meaning the top sides receive ridiculously higher amounts and therefore have more capital for transfers. Compare total transfer expenditure of Premiership clubs less the top 5, with that of La Liga clubs less the top 5. It will seriously shock you. Undoubtably, English clubs aren't on the same league as Barcelona and Real Madrid, but you don't see promoted Gjon spending 20m+ like all of the promoted sides this season. 

Not once in his career has he had a season with 20+ assists unless Who Scored has incorrect stats. And as for goals, I didn't include Europe goals because Man United missed a season so apologies for that. Yes Benzema has scored a few more than Rooney, but when you look at goals to game ratio and also consider Rooney spent half the season playing in midfield for a couple of those years, Rooney looks much better.

Rooney     Benzema (App - Goals)

2011-12     43-34          52-32

2012-13     37-16          50-20

2013-14     40-19          52-24

2014-15     37-14          46-22

"I think that Rooney is a brilliant player just not world class in my opinion and he has been really average in the premier league so far this season"

He's been very poor, but so has Hazard, Costa, Sanchez etc. A few poor performances at the start of the season is hardly worth judging 

1. Albentosa had the worst distribution I've seen from a Rams defender in my many years supporting the club. 

2. Arrogance? There's no arrogance about it. The Premier league as a "division" is the best by an absolute mile. That's because TV expenditure is spread out equally between every side. In La Liga, and other major leagues, the money is distributed based on how many times sides are shown on TV, meaning the top sides receive ridiculously higher amounts and therefore have more capital for transfers. Compare total transfer expenditure of Premiership clubs less the top 5, with that of La Liga clubs less the top 5. It will seriously shock you. Undoubtably, English clubs aren't on the same league as Barcelona and Real Madrid, but you don't see promoted Gjon spending 20m+ like all of the promoted sides this season. 

It will be interesting to see whether your suggestion that La Liga sides get paid in proportion to the number of times they are shown on television actually holds up in future, because Sky Sports this season are showing every single La Liga match.

If this was the case then why are english teams so crap in europe? Please don't get me started on the money distribution argument. Just because a team spends more money doesn't mean they're better.

Here are the official rankings for the best leagues in the europe looking at their success in european competition, not your bias

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

It will be interesting to see whether your suggestion that La Liga sides get paid in proportion to the number of times they are shown on television actually holds up in future, because Sky Sports this season are showing every single La Liga match.

Yeah. That's because of kick off times. It's exactly the same for Premiership games abroad. You'll find an online stream for every single match. But that isn't the case when shown live on Spanish TV. 

@dcfcrammyboy1 I'm willing to put money on it. Twenty years time, talking about the England striker at that time, you'll be banging on about how "none of these lightweights are fit to lace Rooney's boots, he was brilliant!"

Well you must be happy to give your money away then. I happen to think that in the last couple of years, england have played better when rooney doesn't play

If this was the case then why are english teams so crap in europe? Please don't get me started on the money distribution argument. Just because a team spends more money doesn't mean they're better.

Here are the official rankings for the best leagues in the europe looking at their success in european competition, not your bias

You're ignoring my point. I forgot bottom half sides competed in Europe. The overall quality of the Premier League is the best in the world. 

Dont get me started on UEFA rankings. Wales are ranked 2nd in the UEFA rankings. 2nd best side in the Europe? 

since 2005, England has 8 had finalists in the Champions league, Spain has had 6.

Archived