Dale Stephens

DcFc Dyycheee

Just to be clear (if anyone thinks they are clear on it!?!) are we now targeting Stephens as well as or instead of Butterfield?

Well Paul Clement says we are two short long term, three short while Bryson is out. So we'll be looking to bring in two midfielders, whether that's Stephens and Butterfield, or one or the other plus one more.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be clear (if anyone thinks they are clear on it!?!) are we now targeting Stephens as well as or instead of Butterfield?

or are we looking like we're in for Stephens when in reality we're not, so that udders suddenly think we're off and they lose loads of money and capitulate ??

Prices are going to be even higher than normal because all the teams know we're drastically short in the midfield area at the moment:ermm:

PC is an experienced 'coach' so surely it isn't too much to expect him to select a forward '6' - in all manner of formations - out of Weimann, Martin, Bent, Ince, Baird, Russell, Dawkins, Thorne... without pushing the panic button? Within a game or two we will have more players back too. Most managers will say they want more players, but surely now is when they earn their money? If we can get a great player at the right price, great...but the prices being quoted for some players are madness. I think we have bought sensibly so far, let's not get caught up in the current madness and hold our nerve, I thought that's what having a squad was about?

After the Brum game we'll have Hendrick and Hanson back to go alongside Thorne, Baird and Dawkins. A couple of weeks on we'll have Bryson too. The loan window soon opens. No need at all to press a panic button. I don't get the impression it will happen, but I hope one of the U21s is on the bench tonight by way of encouragement, getting a taste of the real deal on the day of the match and coming on if they're called upon. What a fillip that would be. If we're targeting Championship players as seems to be the brief, they should be exceptional for us to want to bring them in. Possibly young Dale is that. I don't know.

DET saying £2.5m bid was rejected:

DERBY County are said to have had two bids turned down for Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Dale Stephens.

The Rams have offered around £2.5m for Stephens, according to The Argus.

Derby are in the market for a central midfielder - and have also been linked with Huddersfield Town's Jacob Butterfield and Harrison Reed of Southampton.

Stephens has scored four goals in 33 games since joining Brighton from Charlton for around £700,000 in January 2014.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Brighton-reject-2-5m-bid-Rams/story-27653157-detail/story.html#ixzz3jTH4mydY 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

It would seem like we are looking to sign both Butterfield and Stephens and take Harrison Reed on loan then? (or are we seeing who bites first!?!)

Might be a negotiating tactic. I seriously doubt we're going to sign two midfielders for large fees. 

BBC - via Argus

Brighton have turned down a £2.5m bid from Championship rivals Derby County for midfielder Dale Stephens, 25.(Brighton Argus) 

Barnsley have signed winger Kadeem Harris on a 93-day loan from Cardiff. could this pave the way now

Might be a negotiating tactic. I seriously doubt we're going to sign two midfielders for large fees. 

I should imagine there's one if not two bluffs in there to keep the price down on the one or two we actually want!

Barnsley have signed winger Kadeem Harris on a 93-day loan from Cardiff. could this pave the way now

I like the theory that one single random transfer occurrence, no matter how small, can change the course of the transfer market forever. It's called the Butterfield Effect.

Archived