Dale Stephens

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope not. Not the greatest. Defensive midfielder, A fag paper better than James Bailey.

james bailey....whatever happened to him?

playing in India now!

actually i wouldn't mind us getting him back short term.

Dale Stephens is a tidy player, established Championship quality and has a lot of qualities that some people are overlooking. 

£2.5million is steep, but I think some people are underrating him somewhat.

I think we need a more attacking midfielder than him, but he'd easily run our central midfielders into the ground. Covers an unbelievable amount of ground! 

Dale Stephens is a tidy player, established Championship quality and has a lot of qualities that some people are overlooking. 

£2.5million is steep, but I think some people are underrating him somewhat.

I think we need a more attacking midfielder than him, but he'd easily run our central midfielders into the ground. Covers an unbelievable amount of ground! 

Do you have the stats? Our managers are always raving about the ground Bryson covers in a game. I'd be interested to know what's the comparison between him and Stephens?

On another note, these rumours and more importantly rumoured figures smack of desperation. Surely we shouldn't be desperate? Hendrick has a dead leg. Bryson will be back soon. Thorne is star quality. It's devastating that Will is out for so long, but for me it's an opportunity to either bring a star international signing in to give is something different, or see which one of the U21s is able to grasp the opportunity, whether it's Guy, Koblenz, Bunjaku or someone else. If they don't cut it, the loan window opens as the transfer window closes and with Clement's reputation as a coach and our standing as a club we should get very high-quality players being offered to us. £5m for Butterfield! £2.5m for Stephens! If we pay it, the world's gone mad and us with it.

Do you have the stats? Our managers are always raving about the ground Bryson covers in a game. I'd be interested to know what's the comparison between him and Stephens?

On another note, these rumours and more importantly rumoured figures smack of desperation. Surely we shouldn't be desperate? Hendrick has a dead leg. Bryson will be back soon. Thorne is star quality. It's devastating that Will is out for so long, but for me it's an opportunity to either bring a star international signing in to give is something different, or see which one of the U21s is able to grasp the opportunity, whether it's Guy, Koblenz, Bunjaku or someone else. If they don't cut it, the loan window opens as the transfer window closes and with Clement's reputation as a coach and our standing as a club we should get very high-quality players being offered to us. £5m for Butterfield! £2.5m for Stephens! If we pay it, the world's gone mad and us with it.

Have you any idea how good the U21s are .

Well I'll tell you .

Most are not good enough to step up yet .

Do you think the manager has no idea how good they are or something. 

Koblenz and Banjuka and Guy who is also injured would struggle in the Championship so making statements like you have don't make sense. 

If they don't cut it then we could be cut adrift with no chance of promotion 

We have lost vital midfielders and were already 1 or 2 short before injuries. 

i don't understand some Derby Fans .

Why don't you get down to the u21s and see for yourself like subsequent managers and coaches have. 

Why don't you let the manager do his job and if he thinks we need someone let him get him in. 

Posts like this are negative towards Clement and suggesting he doesn't know what he's doing but he clearly does. 

I suggest you have no idea about the U21s 

Very highly rated by Brighton fans:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?325710-Dale-Stephens/page1

All-action, runs all game, scores goals. They really don't want to lose him. Also they think they're getting promoted. (!)

Hendrick either needs to go or he needs inspiration as he's a shadow of a CM. Hoepfully whoever we buy will get Hendrick fired up and interested.

I know we have some money to spend but we're still a championship side and for  £2.5million I'd say it needs to be a player who we would expect to still be in and around the team in a couple of years even if we got promoted (or an exceptionally good player) like we expect of ince, Thorne, Weimann etc. 

I hope we stick to our word of only paying for players who improve us going forward. In terms of replacing an injured player for weeks/months I'd say that's what the loan market is perfect for. 

I know we have some money to spend but we're still a championship side and for  £2.5million I'd say it needs to be a player who we would expect to still be in and around the team in a couple of years even if we got promoted (or an exceptionally good player) like we expect of ince, Thorne, Weimann etc. 

I hope we stick to our word of only paying for players who improve us going forward. In terms of replacing an injured player for weeks/months I'd say that's what the loan market is perfect for. 

The manager isn't stupid .

He knows what he wants. 

Admittedly has been injured for much of his time at the Amex but he didn't really stand out when I saw him play - the locals do seem to rate his performances so far this season. Clubs know we are looking (desperate) and will obviously inflate prices for any supposed targets. Still....it's nice to wind up my Seagull supporting neighbours with this rumour.

I suppose that when we took Thorne on loan initially you thought oh good, I know him, I have kept a track on his career and he could be a really good player for us.  Doubt it very much. It is also a bit of a waste of your hope quota to be ruling out things that you have no idea of.

You're right, I didn't know anything about Thorne. But at least Thorne had a decent pedigree, young player at a premiership club. Multiple appearances for England's youth teams. So I had a bit of hope. Also, when we brought Thorne in, he wasn't immediately bought for £2+ million, we loaned him and saw what he was about without spending the money immediately. Thorne waited for his chance, he stepped up and when his chance came he was a different class. We are talking about spending serious money again, on a player who I understand is a decent championship player. Like people have said, for £2.5 million I'd want a player that will be in or around the first team in a couple of years if we go up.

He knows what he wants. 

Try telling that to a few of the Football Manager experts who post on here. Some of the stuff I have read on here in the last couple of weeks implying the head coach's lack of experience and tactical ineptitude is just plain bonkers. The same can be said for the recruitment team.

He knows what he wants. 

Whilst I don't think it's quite the set up like we've seen at Spurs etc where the manager doesn't really have a say, I wouldn't say this potential signing has been identified by Clement. Chris Evans seems to be head of recruitment and if we signed Stephens, who's not a bad player, I would start to question just how good a job our recruitment team is actually doing.

Whilst I don't think it's quite the set up like we've seen at Spurs etc where the manager doesn't really have a say, I wouldn't say this potential signing has been identified by Clement. Chris Evans seems to be head of recruitment and if we signed Stephens, who's not a bad player, I would start to question just how good a job our recruitment team is actually doing.

See my previous post.

Like I say, plain bonkers.

You're right, because the acquisitions of Ince, Weimann, Bent, Baird, Pearce, Carson and Shackell over the summer have caused uproar around these parts. When do the protests start?

Can't help feeling we're possibly doubling the amount of money we've spent this window for the sort of quality players we could easily get on loan. 

But, at the same time it's important to bare in mind that we only see 10/15% of what actually goes on, so I'm happy to sit back and trust Sam/Evans on this one.

Archived