Dale Stephens

DcFc Dyycheee

You're right, because the acquisitions of Ince, Weimann, Bent, Baird, Pearce, Carson and Shackell over the summer have caused uproar around these parts. When do the protests start?

Thanks for taking my post out of context but hey, each to their own.

For what it's worth I personally think three of those signings weren't really needed for the money they have cost / are costing, especially when you take our style and current squad to the equation. Do we need to spend 2.5 million on an average to good Championship midfielder? The current market says so, which I think is crazy unfortunately and the main reason why I would start to ask questions.

Question/protest... they're on the same level, right?!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for taking my post out of context but hey, each to their own.

For what it's worth I personally think three of those signings weren't really needed for the money they have cost / are costing, especially when you take our style and current squad to the equation. Do we need to spend 2.5 million on an average to good Championship midfielder? The current market says so, which I think is crazy unfortunately and the main reason why I would start to ask questions.

Question/protest... they're on the same level, right?!

Not at all, I was just pointing out how absurd your statement was that if we signed Stephens, who's "not a bad player" by your own admission (!), then you would start to question our recruitment team. Beside the fact that is slightly contradictory, I'd say it's a bit of an of overreaction given you actually rate the player, and completely unfounded if you look at the excellent work the recruitment team has done so far.

Would give Dawkins a go in centre mid rather than buy Stephens for 2.5m. Bryson should be back in a couple of weeks, sounds like a lot of money on somebody who's going to be sat on the bench after the international break! I trust both Mel and Sam though! 

Good player. Seen him 4 or 5 times on sky for Brighton and he stood out every time.

Would go as far to say that even if Hughes & Bryson were not injured he'd get in the team. Prob along side Thorne and Hughes but certainly ahead of Bryson & Hendrick 

Would give Dawkins a go in centre mid rather than buy Stephens for 2.5m. Bryson should be back in a couple of weeks, sounds like a lot of money on somebody who's going to be sat on the bench after the international break! I trust both Mel and Sam though! 

Dawkins is fine technically but I have never seen him impact a game enough to convince me he is a central midfielder. If the rest of the midfield has enough presence to carry someone like that then fair enough, but from what I have seen of us this season that is just not the case.

Not at all, I was just pointing out how absurd your statement was that if we signed Stephens, who's "not a bad player" by your own admission (!), then you would start to question our recruitment team. Beside the fact that is slightly contradictory, I'd say it's a bit of an of overreaction given you actually rate the player, and completely unfounded if you look at the excellent work the recruitment team has done so far.

Two point five million pounds. For "not a bad player" in the Championship. That's my issue. Would you call that good value? This on top of paying big big money for players that won't even start, players that we have similar in the team, players that we are playing out of position. There's a few positions that we're crying out to replace/strengthen that we haven't and probably won't do IMO.

I hope the work the recruitment team has done so far is excellent come May, will be over the moon if my doubts are put to bed. Sooner the better.

Dawkins is fine technically but I have never seen him impact a game enough to convince me he is a central midfielder. If the rest of the midfield has enough presence to carry someone like that then fair enough, but from what I have seen of us this season that is just not the case.

You didn't go to Bournemouth last year - or to Fulham in the League Cup.

Yes I did, having an impact requires doing it more than a handful of times in my opinion.

You said impact a game, you were provided with two games which he did as proof. Now the goalposts have moved for your definition of having an impact? Is this how it works? Just change a definition whenever proven wrong?

Why do people keep quoting "not bad" about this dude? Isn't that just the opinions of people on here? We're setting a players quality level now based on what people on here think of a player they've seen 3/4 times? Brilliant...

If our management team think he's good enough to spend money on then that's enough for me...

I love it that all football fans are experts on every player and because they have not heard of players that derby are linked with then automatically they are not as good as ours and will be bench warmers.

Well  how many people when thorne came on loan thought he was going to be the player he is.??

before we played boro at the ipro last season i was looking on the boro forum and guess what they were saying that they had not heard of GT and could not understand why we were all lauding him up...

Each player should be judged on merit for the club they play or sign for. 

Man utd are good example of judging players on merit Veron and Di maria who many would class as world class players did not cut it at utd.

Shevchenko at Chelsea there is thousands of examples out there. and no, I am not comparing us to Man utd or chelsea. 

Judge our signings when they have signed and played.

prices in the championship are now inflated due to the just out of reach land of the premiership and £150million jackpot  

You said impact a game, you were provided with two games which he did as proof. Now the goalposts have moved for your definition of having an impact? Is this how it works? Just change a definition whenever proven wrong?

Based upon what I have seen, and backed up by 3 managers who see him in training and have probably tried him in that position during these sessions, I don't see him as the answer.

I have never seen him play well enough consistently, and two games in his time at Derby would not convince me that we could go into the rest of the season with him playing regularly in midfield.  I don't mind him as a player, he is neat and tidy, but isnt the greatest in a tackle, and very rarely have I seen him being the best or even in the top 3 or 4 stand out performers in the team.  

Maybe he is a confidence player, or someone who needs a run of games, but at his age has he ever held a 1st team place down under any manager in this country ? 

No need to take it personally. Is it standard practice here to jump down someones neck when they try and make a point?

I didn't disagree that he didn't have an impact in those games. I was merely stating that in my opinion that you need to do that with some degree of consistency to be considered in a position like center midfield on a regular basis. There seems to be a school of though here that Dawkins is the answer in center mid and I disagree.

Archived