Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

In my opinion something is not right, no one can doubt the players we have are more than capable of achieving,   its getting them to achieve that seems to be the problem. in spells ( not many) the team looks unbeatable ( first 10 mins of 2nd half yesterday) for example, however 10 mins here and there are not good enough, we need to do that from the start.getting the team to do that may need someone with experience, as we seem to be starting off where we finished last season and on those statistics we will be nearer the bottom than top of the league. 

Hiya Bodmin, welcome to the forum.

I posted something isn't right in the chat room during the first half and got accused of wrist slashing and looking for something that isn't there so just giving you a head's up you may get the same.

Now, the whole point of this forum's existence is to post thoughts and opinions isn't it ? Whether they be on the money or plain daft I post on instinct as opposed to giving it a lot of thought and hoping it will prove popular with the majority, I like it when I've posted something and someone replies with an angle that hadn't occurred to me.

When I wrote something isn't right, it wasn't a Oh My God, we're going to crash and burn, press the panic button kind of thing it was simply a I can't believe what I am watching something isn't right, Clement's got this wrong or the players aren't getting his instructions. 

I maintain with every fibre of my being, that first half performance yesterday was unacceptable, those that were telling me nothing was wrong are within their right to that opinion of course but they were no more correct than me, one of them was a chappie from your county, the other, one of the forums leading WUMs.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Clement up to the job? No-one knows. And they couldn't know when they appointed him. So why take this ridiculous gamble? What were they thinking? Even Longson had the sense to appoint Mackay after Clough went. It was obvious to the fans (who no-one listens to) that we needed a Warburton, Pearson or even a Rowett - someone who could impose himself and knew the ropes in this division.

Instead we have a man learning the hard way, looking bewildered, a mish mash of expensive signings that are never going to gel, no midfield options, and a set of fans raring to get behind the team but seeing the team and club going backwards.

This has all happened since the new Chair came in.

Thorne is a defensive dictator. Keep him in the team. We need someone else, a big personality maybe who will be box to box, able to carry the ball forward. Can Bryson do it? Not on last seasons form. The player should be Hendrick but I don't think he has it in him despite appearances. Two very good midfielders wanted urgently. Shame we only have just over 24hrs for permanents. 

First 20 minutes of the second half hendrick was the player he is capable of being and the player he should be every game for the full game. Movement, looking for the ball, energy and effort. Had a fantastic shot and probably should of scored with the other one. 

Is Clement up to the job? No-one knows. And they couldn't know when they appointed him. So why take this ridiculous gamble? What were they thinking? Even Longson had the sense to appoint Mackay after Clough went. It was obvious to the fans (who no-one listens to) that we needed a Warburton, Pearson or even a Rowett - someone who could impose himself and knew the ropes in this division.

Instead we have a man learning the hard way, looking bewildered, a mish mash of expensive signings that are never going to gel, no midfield options, and a set of fans raring to get behind the team but seeing the team and club going backwards.

This has all happened since the new Chair came in.

Some fans are raring to get behind the team, others are moaning after 5 minutes because keogh took longer to control the ball then they deem worthy.

First 20 minutes of the second half hendrick was the player he is capable of being and the player he should be every game for the full game. Movement, looking for the ball, energy and effort. Had a fantastic shot and probably should of scored with the other one. 

Hendrick can't play central midfield. He's not bad as a no.10

except he can't hit the target from the edge of the box, with only the keeper to beat.

I agree, further forward he is a lot better, first half yesterday we were so static in midfield it was painful to watch. Thorne was holding his position and hanson and hendrick were pretty much 5 yards ahead of him either side. As soon as Hendrick second half moved into that gap behind martin all of a sudden he and we looked threatening.

So was Hendrick playing to orders first half or did he just go missing? That is the question for me. I suspect the latter which is why I think he will be replaced.

Not sure TSP,  I'd prefer to think it was the former, cos f it was the latter then he needs a right kick up the backside,  he has talent, he's got the physique and the engine needed, it would be such a shame if he didn't fulfill his potential due to a lack of desire.

Something Paul said about making necessary changes at half time made me think Jeff was playing to instructions.

Having said that his miss was very poor indeed, cracking first touch, unbelievable amount of time and space, either side of the goal to go at. Not many excuses for missing from there really.

Maybe I'm a little bit to tied in to the idea of wanting Jeff to be great and I'm overlooking his flaws. I just htink there's a very good midflelder in there, he needs to show it for more than 15 minutes a game.

I remember the interview and I think he said promotion was the goal as soon as possible, which was represented as this seson on here.

Yep, at the time I thought he'd shot himself in the foot.

This just adds to the Clement hype, all the signings, the 'worldly' coach from Madrid  - that is why we were made favorites by the bookies at the start of season.

Now the wheels are following off before we have moved onwards and upwards.....

People forget there is nothing from his back ground as a No2, that says he will be a good successful coach  - it was going to be a massive gamble, its is first proper job where he has to make the decisions!

Not sure TSP,  I'd prefer to think it was the former, cos f it was the latter then he needs a right kick up the backside,  he has talent, he's got the physique and the engine needed, it would be such a shame if he didn't fulfill his potential due to a lack of desire.

Something Paul said about making necessary changes at half time made me think Jeff was playing to instructions.

I think the same, we've played with a very rigid midfield in every single game so far - a flat back 4, 2 or 3 midfielders sat very deep in front of them, then a massive gap to the forwards.  For all the talk of different formations in every game, the actual tactics haven't changed at all.

Have we learnt nothing from Watford, the way to success is four managers in a season.

Sack Clement after transfer window bring in someone else too Xmas give a third guy the job through the transfer window and then a fourth for the late push.

you normally get a dead cat bounce when a new manager comes in part way through the season so why not capitalise on that and bring someone in every 2-3 games!

Tell you what, it's funny reading the panic after 5 games. 

I'm just going to link this thread whenever people start slating Newcastle fans. 

I notice McClaren is suddenly getting a better manager too. Funny that when he was here last season I spent most my time defending him because it was Dyche who was the best. 

I don't know if Clement is up to the job or not. And neither do you after 5 matches. 

I told my daughter yesterday at the zoo that she couldn't have an ice cream YET. "Oh, I'll never have ice cream" 

Made me think of Derby fans. 

Pure entertainment.

Tell you what, it's funny reading the panic after 5 games. 

I'm just going to link this thread whenever people start slating Newcastle fans. 

I notice McClaren is suddenly getting a better manager too. Funny that when he was here last season I spent most my time defending him because it was Dyche who was the best. 

I don't know if Clement is up to the job or not. And neither do you after 5 matches. 

I told my daughter yesterday at the zoo that she couldn't have an ice cream YET. "Oh, I'll never have ice cream" 

Made me think of Derby fans. 

Pure entertainment.

Better manager !!???????

Last time I looked there in the relegation zone :-o

Just been listening to the interview after the Leeds game and Clement was asked '' You get a reaction from the players at half time against Birmingham and against Leeds, why can't they start like that''

Clement ''Well, we'll have to look at that, we'll have to reflect on that - we weren't surprised by the tactics of Leeds.....''

Listening to the full interview I feel the bloke is struggling!

Archived