Gaming

SaintRam

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

I don't get the fuss with Fortnite. I played it a bit but it was like Spyro graphics with some ridiculous building system and bunny hopping. Any shooter that has players bunny hopping is crap. 

It's a shame DayZ never sorted itself out. So much good stuff in there. 

My main reason for hating shooters is because I get killed before I can even play. Nothing like being in a match with gamers who put in 8 hours per day. 

If I had the time and the desire to game a few hours a day, I could hold my own online, but the times I do go online I tend to get destroyed and it annoys me so I avoid it.

I hear all about Fortnite from schools... Do not get the obsession.

The big pull for Fortnite, and similar games, is the fact that you're playing with and against real people rather than AI bots - no matter how good the AI is you can usually adapt or come up with a strategy to guarantee a win, people however play in thousands of different ways and are always coming up with new tricks.  Add to that the fact that you are beating other people rather then the computer itself it is more satisfying. 

I'm not so good at Fortnite myself but do find it strangely compelling, especially late at night when you can jump in tired, not engage your brain to have some fun.  I much prefer MMORPGs (Star Wars Galaxies being my all time favourite) however and the same principle applies, you're playing with and against real life people building up your character or empire in a social environment - I know people from all over the world that I've kept in touch with for in some cases around 20 years who I've never met nor will probably ever meet in real life. 

For me at least, its turned a sad, lonely hobby into a bit of a social event.

59 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

If I had the time and the desire to game a few hours a day, I could hold my own online, but the times I do go online I tend to get destroyed and it annoys me so I avoid it.

I hear all about Fortnite from schools... Do not get the obsession.

I thought you weren't allowed near schools since the conviction? 

1 hour ago, DcfcJack said:

Glad someone else out there doesn't get fortnite, I'm the only one out of all my mates who doesn't play it and they talk about it a lot, maybe you need someone to play it with for it to be good, all by myself on playstation you see.

Same here. Most people I know are Xbox. 

But still can't get into the weird building mechanic. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Haven't played it much, only tried it because of the hype but didn't appeal with both the gameplay or building thing 

1 hour ago, mastah said:

I've only tried competitive racing in Forza 4 and it was an absolute blast. All competitors were on voice and were fully aware of where everyone else was on the track. VSCs were adhered to in the event of an accident and it was a good experience. 

The best experience I've had is F1. With full damage people tend to only sacrifice their race if they are being lapped. 

35 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Where do we go from here?

Don't worry, EA has been taking advantage for years too. 

Call Of Duty Black Ops Warfare Starter Pack Ultimate Zombie team unlock DLC.

I love it how we buy half a game now and then the rest of it in paid instalments. 

David could do a similar thing. You could unlock different fonts and more smilies. 

Edited by Alpha

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Don't worry, EA has been taking advantage for years too. 

Call Of Duty Black Ops Warfare Starter Pack Ultimate Zombie team unlock DLC.

I love it how we buy half a game now and then the rest of it in paid instalments. 

David could do a similar thing. You could unlock different fonts and more smilies. 

And we still pay a hefty price for an unfinished game. Just making mugs of us all and we lap it up.

Maybe call em Kitbags. A bit of cash his way and ol David will grant you entry to one of his many bags of tricks.

Watching a few of the E3 bits. I own an Xbox and a Switch, and have very little time for either at the minute, yet find myself wanting to get a PS4 just for the Spider-Man game. It looks like they’ve put Spidey into an Arkham game.

Microsoft have got some good stuff coming up. I’m disappointed the Switch won’t have a store for their huge back catalogue of old games, although we may yet see a subscription service for that.

On 13/06/2018 at 15:08, Alpha said:

Well I did put up a share your gamertag and PSN ID thread but not many have got involved. 

I will be your friend if you like. Won’t charge as it’s you. 

13 hours ago, David said:

Well I did put up a share your gamertag and PSN ID thread but not many have got involved. 

I will be your friend if you like. Won’t charge as it’s you. 

Sound!

Not seen that thread somehow. I skip the sticky threads because it's usually boring official stuff. You know, like rules and stuff because you are scared of Google and mates with Uncle Mel. Mans don't read rules

• 2 weeks later...

The International Olympic Committee is hosting an e-sports discussion summit in July

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/28/the-international-olympic-committee-is-hosting-an-e-sports-discussion-summit-in-july/

With the sheer amount of views, sponsorship and prize money involved in competitive gaming, no matter what your opinion as to whether gaming is a 'sport' its only a matter of time in my opinion.  Money talks n all that ?

Fortnite fans... for anyone that missed the rocket launching tonight this is a great video. 

What does Season 5 have in store for us...?  Aliens? Time Travel? Inter-dimension goofiness!  Whatever they do witnessing the event live was pretty special, everyone on the servers just stopped and looked up (well, apart from that 1 guy that now has the WR kills for knocking down a platform holding 48 people watching the event - there's always 1 lol ? )

Picked up a couple of RPGs in the Steam sale, been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverence. Its a remarkable game.

Looking forward to Forza Horizon 4.

Also watched a video about that VR Tetris game coming out, and it was far more interesting than I expected it to be. Not sure I'd play it, but it lead to VR being described in an interesting way. Discussing that the best VR games are not the ones where you are put in a 3D space, need 10ft of space around you and have to crane your neck to play; but rather the games that treat the headset like headphones for your eyes. To fully immerse you. I liked that description.

The Olympics should be a celebration of athleticism - there are already 'sports' debatably included. But theres a whole other thread on the topic of the inclusion of gaming I believe.

Also, Fortnite is awful.