Gaming

SaintRam

Just now, mastah said:

I regularly watch esports on Twitch and have seen the CoD World Championships at Insomnia during Easter and really like how much effort is put in to these events. OWL was a good show but the season just went on for way too long for my liking.

It was a great weekend, I would thoroughly recommend it if it comes back to London - kids are more into competitive gaming than me and they both said it was amazing (our 15yo said it was 'literally the best thing he's done in life ever' lol).

We're planning a trip to Insomnia next Easter now as well, never been before but looks good!

https://insomniagamingfestival.com/

50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

kids are more into competitive gaming than me and they both said it was amazing (our 15yo said it was 'literally the best thing he's done in life ever' lol).

It's a surprisingly good spectator sport to be honest. And with the rate it's growing, it will start to threaten smaller sports for popularity.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's a surprisingly good spectator sport to be honest. And with the rate it's growing, it will start to threaten smaller sports for popularity.

It was a very good watch.  I've been a gamer for 30+ years and its nice to see it slowly emerge from the bedroom to be something more mainstream - I just wish I was 30 years younger so I could try my hand at something more competitive, my reactions are to slow and I have way to many bad habits now to change!

With a 500k prize for yesterdays winners I recall the days of my Mum telling me to go outside and get some fresh air during the summer holidays, I think I'll question my kids wanting to go out and make sure they are sat in front of their PCs practising lol!

Just now, maxjam said:

It was a very good watch.  I've been a gamer for 30+ years and its nice to see it slowly emerge from the bedroom to be something more mainstream - I just wish I was 30 years younger so I could try my hand at something more competitive, my reactions are to slow and I have way to many bad habits now to change!

With a 500k prize for yesterdays winners I recall the days of my Mum telling me to go outside and get some fresh air during the summer holidays, I think I'll question my kids wanting to go out and make sure they are sat in front of their PCs practising lol!

I don't have age as an excuse for my lack of talent aha, my best claim to ''gaming skill'' is being champ 1 in rocket league... I think my generation is generally becoming more accepting of gaming in general, whereas there is still a bit of a stigma attached to it with the older generations, but seeing places like Wembley getting filled for esports events is incredibly impressive, and the production value is usually pretty top notch too.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

It was a great weekend, I would thoroughly recommend it if it comes back to London - kids are more into competitive gaming than me and they both said it was amazing (our 15yo said it was 'literally the best thing he's done in life ever' lol).

We're planning a trip to Insomnia next Easter now as well, never been before but looks good!

https://insomniagamingfestival.com/

The problem with Insomnia is that it obviously caters to a wider range of games. The main games playing when I went was Hearthstone and League of Legends -- games I have zero interest in. If I was to go Insomnia again, it would be to do BYOC.

Another season of Rocket League over.

They've now added ranked modes for all their wacky custom modes. I wonder if there'll be mini-tournaments in those at their future esports events.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Another season of Rocket League over.

They've now added ranked modes for all their wacky custom modes. I wonder if there'll be mini-tournaments in those at their future esports events.

People actually play those modes? Rumble is fun in the odd game, but I can't see it being a fun competitive mode.

Just now, Andicis said:

Rocket League is still pretty great! Much better than some of the other crap games people play like Fortnite for sure. Plus being the exclusive holder of the DCFC club tag means I have to keep playing.

It's never been great. Sorry.

And people probably think you're a Death Cab for Cutie fanboy

1 minute ago, David said:

It's never been great. Sorry.

And people probably think you're a Death Cab for Cutie fanboy

It's okay David, I understand a difficult game like Rocket League may require reactions too quick for an older gentleman as yourself ?.

I was asked about it by other Derby fans on one occasion to be fair...

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

It's okay David, I understand a difficult game like Rocket League may require reactions too quick for an older gentleman as yourself ?.

I was asked about it by other Derby fans on one occasion to be fair...

Quick reactions? ?

Behave, it's anticipating where the ball lands, positioning your car hoping that you don't get rear ended and hope the ball bounces right for you. 

Like the dodgems at the fair, can be a laugh for a couple of times, but after that the novelty wares off.

To think some people are still riding the dodgems 3 years later is nuts. Once you've been ranked Platinum, then what? Wait to get reset and reach Platinum again and maybe trade a novelty hat that sits on top of your car. 

Quick reactions? ?

Behave, it's anticipating where the ball lands, positioning your car hoping that you don't get rear ended and hope the ball bounces right for you. 

Like the dodgems at the fair, can be a laugh for a couple of times, but after that the novelty wares off.

To think some people are still riding the dodgems 3 years later is nuts. Once you've been ranked Platinum, then what? Wait to get reset and reach Platinum again and maybe trade a novelty hat that sits on top of your car. 

To be fair, if you end up stuck in platinum I can see it being boring... I'm going to keep playing for ranked, once I hit grand champ in dodgems, I'll be satisfied with it... I think you can argue very similar about Fifa games though. They're all extremely similar and repetitive. Grinding ultimate team for slightly better players each time definitely dragged.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, if you end up stuck in platinum I can see it being boring... I'm going to keep playing for ranked, once I hit grand champ in dodgems, I'll be satisfied with it... I think you can argue very similar about Fifa games though. They're all extremely similar and repetitive. Grinding ultimate team for slightly better players each time definitely dragged.

But you wouldn't still be playing FIFA 2015 today trying to stay in Division 1, you move on to FIFA 16 which will slightly tweak how the game is played. 

Call of Duty, hit max prestige and nowhere to go, sure you carry on playing it but only till the next one comes out and it's a different game.

Rocket League has been out 3 years, I guess ranked hasn't been out for the 3 but it's still essentially the same game for 3 years. 

When you're given that question, stuck on a desert island, you can take one film, one album and one game with you, which do you take. That's what it's like, still grinding away at Rocket League ?

Each to their own I guess. 

But you wouldn't still be playing FIFA 2015 today trying to stay in Division 1, you move on to FIFA 16 which will slightly tweak how the game is played. 

Call of Duty, hit max prestige and nowhere to go, sure you carry on playing it but only till the next one comes out and it's a different game.

Rocket League has been out 3 years, I guess ranked hasn't been out for the 3 but it's still essentially the same game for 3 years. 

When you're given that question, stuck on a desert island, you can take one film, one album and one game with you, which do you take. That's what it's like, still grinding away at Rocket League ?

Each to their own I guess. 

The gap between Fifa games is very slim I'd say, though Call of Duty is a fair point. I'll stick to my desert island grinding until I finally get there...

26 minutes ago, David said:

Quick reactions? ?

giphy.gif

EDIT: Actually, its also far worse than you think. Rocket League is the revamp of an older game. When Rocket League was launched, some people (the pros at launch) had been playing it for 7 years already. So some people have hit a decade.

Edited by SaintRam

5 minutes ago, David said:

giphy.gif

I play a lot of games, I can resist getting fanboy baited - had to deal with Rocket League disinterest from a few people over the years ? 

Once they add the cross-platform party system though you should get on and play with me and @Andicis - test those claims of reactions ? 

Edited by SaintRam

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I play a lot of games, I can resist getting fanboy baited - had to deal with Rocket League disinterest from a few people over the years ? 

Once they add the cross-platform party system though you should get on and play with me and @Andicis - test those claims of reactions ? 

Nice try to increase the play base but it's not happening. Blackout, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 76 all coming out, you know, new games to play?

I do understand why you are still playing it though, being a PC player you have to stick to games longer as it's too expensive to upgrade for the latest games to run properly. My guess is Rocket League runs fairly well still without crashing for you?