Gaming

SaintRam

52 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So, Red Dead. 

Love, like, loathe?

Rockstar ditched the schoolboy humour and gone for more realism which I like. 

Too many games about at the moment so I'll be picking up Red Dead when its some money off in the Xmas sales, assuming multiplayer has been released. Will have to report back at that time

11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Too many games about at the moment so I'll be picking up Red Dead when its some money off in the Xmas sales, assuming multiplayer has been released. Will have to report back at that time

Multiplayer is early November I think. Be interesting to see how it works now they've gone down the realism route. Lots of people play GTA online to just mess about. That will still happen here obviously but I don't think they'll be putting in jetpacks and monster trucks to support it

Not played much, got to the point where you can pick from 2 missions.

Much slowed start than the first, longer cutscenes, more cinematic stuff, controls also feel more clunky than usual for Rockstar. Imagine if they actually put time into smoothing things out...

Still fully into Black Ops at the minute though, probably be 80% into that and 20% into RDR2 as it’s supposed to be around 50hrs for just the main storyline, put maybe an hour a day in and take that easy 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Official reviews were megahyped, but comments like David's clunky controls suggest it might not be as good as it's made out?

Rockstar controls are always clunky to be fair, if you’ve played Grand Theft Auto it’s a bit worse than that. 

Will have to see and play with sensitivity settings, feels like I’m playing a sack of spuds. 

Might be because I’ve come from hours of fast paced Call of Duty which has super smooth controls. 

Interested to see others thoughts

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I not bought any brand new games in ages, but tempted with RDR2. What sort of price will it be after Xmas?

Official reviews were megahyped, but comments like David's clunky controls suggest it might not be as good as it's made out?

I've loved it so far. It's leaning more towards an RPG game than ever before. It wants you to go slow and really embrace some tedious chores that it somehow makes quite fun. 

It doesn't want you to massacre a town and see if you can get a horse to land on a train. It wants you to say good morning to a town and buy a train ticket. 

It's an RPG that pretended to be a GTA so nobody would be put off.

Played it for about 5 hours yesterday, reckon it's going to be the most overhyped game ever made but there's some good stuff.

As already noted the controls are just bloody horrible, never really had a problem with them on GTA. Getting around by car and holding down the right trigger is one thing, getting around by horse & cart and constantly having to press/hold the X button to keep pace is another, far more strenuous & RSI inducing thing - my thumb still aches now.

Not sure the health/stamina system is going to be anything other than a pain in the arse and it's already failed to explain its systems properly a few times, or flashed up instructions whilst I'm busy doing other things. 

For instance it took until I reached the first town to remember that there was even a dead eye shooting mode because, presumably, it had flashed up the instructions for that in a tiny box at the top left of the screen while I was deep in the midst of the earlier shootout, never to be shown again.

Hoping now I've hit the first town and been to the first pub (The Smithfield! Oh, alright, Smithfield's) I'll actually start to have some fun with it.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the first Red Dead Redemption. I picked up a copy so that I could fully appreciate the new game when I get it.

Wow. My favourite game of all time is Skyrim, particularly because of the world as a whole, but this has the best story of any game I’ve ever played. The map and the side quests aren’t particularly great (apart from the mysterious man (‘I Know You’) side quest) but the ending was gut-wrenching. Bloody love John Marston.

How have people found RDR2? I’m really looking forward to getting it over Christmas and, from what I’ve heard, Arthur is just as compelling a protagonist as John. I’ve also heard there are plenty of references to the first game.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts @Alpha, @David, @AmericanRam, @Matt H.

6 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Just finished the first Red Dead Redemption. I picked up a copy so that I could fully appreciate the new game when I get it.

Wow. My favourite game of all time is Skyrim, particularly because of the world as a whole, but this has the best story of any game I’ve ever played. The map and the side quests aren’t particularly great (apart from the mysterious man (‘I Know You’) side quest) but the ending was gut-wrenching. Bloody love John Marston.

How have people found RDR2? I’m really looking forward to getting it over Christmas and, from what I’ve heard, Arthur is just as compelling a protagonist as John. I’ve also heard there are plenty of references to the first game.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts @Alpha, @David, @AmericanRam, @Matt H.

RDR2 is awesome, a ton of stuff to do asides from the main story. I've put about 30 hours into it and still long ways from finishing it. Plus online beta is cool so far as well. Well worth  a purchase no doubt. I also highly recommend if you can find it playing Red Dead Revolver.

Looking forwards to playing RDR2 myself, still waiting for it to be announced on PC...

Anyone playing Fallout 76?  The reviews were mixed but imo almost all missed the point as most reviewed it as a typical Fallout game - its an MMO first and foremost and expects you to play with friends (although to be fair I have played a lot of it solo and its still good fun!)

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Looking forwards to playing RDR2 myself, still waiting for it to be announced on PC...

Anyone playing Fallout 76?  The reviews were mixed but imo almost all missed the point as most reviewed it as a typical Fallout game - its an MMO first and foremost and expects you to play with friends (although to be fair I have played a lot of it solo and its still good fun!)

Probably have to wait a year or two for RDR2 to be announced on PC, but I will be waiting with you.

Fallout 76 is just the same as any other MMO - boring as hell and full of monotonous BS. They made an odd choice not to include any NPCs though.

27 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Fallout 76 is just the same as any other MMO - boring as hell and full of monotonous BS. They made an odd choice not to include any NPCs though.

Depends on your point of view I guess, most of my favourite games are MMOs - I like to play with other people and have a laugh doing whatever it is we're doing.  There are some very good solo games, far better and deeper than MMOs but they never hold my attention for very long as I get bored playing by myself.

Fallout 76 actually has a lot of quests in it, you might not get them from an NPC as such (although there are plenty of robots willing to talk to you and give you a mission!) but there are far more than I'll ever do.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Depends on your point of view I guess, most of my favourite games are MMOs - I like to play with other people and have a laugh doing whatever it is we're doing.  There are some very good solo games, far better and deeper than MMOs but they never hold my attention for very long as I get bored playing by myself.

Fallout 76 actually has a lot of quests in it, you might not get them from an NPC as such (although there are plenty of robots willing to talk to you and give you a mission!) but there are far more than I'll ever do.

The only MMO I ever liked was the first guild wars and that was because they had a level cap of 20. Guild Wars 2 ruined it by making you grind for levels like all the rest of them. I only like other people in games if they are my friends - I don't care much to see "poopfeast420" spinning in circles and screaming constantly - not very immersive.

Bethesda could basically have just added co-op to a normal fallout game and most people would have been ecstatic with that. Instead all reviews I've seen suggest it is a boring, soulless, bug ridden, lazy piece of crap. The reason they have robots instead of proper NPCs is because it's easier to animate and much less work to implement.

I have however also read a lot of reviews complaining that it's online only and no mods allowed - of course it is - it's an mmo for christ sake. I don't what people were expecting. I avoided buying it, because I already knew I wouldn't like it - I can;t believe people thought this was going to be the same as a normal fallout game just online.

11 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Still not finished it but it's better than the first one. I know it's bound to have more features and better graphics etc but in terms of enjoyment I've had more out of it. It's slower pace is better imo. 

When you first play it you'll be missing John Marston. You'll think Arthur is a dull old man in comparison. Takes a while for him to shine but I think he's even better than John. 

There's many tie ins with the first game. A handful of characters appear. Although they don't make you nostalgic so much apart from the first meeting with John. New characters are the stars of the show. 

I loved RDR and I thought about giving it a blast in the build up to this one. I've always thought I'd go back and play it but not now. It would feel like an arcade version now. 

It's good. Nothing beats The Last Of Us though. 

Weirdly I've been smashing PUBG mobile. Started off as something to do sat in a car park and now I sit there playing it on my phone when I could play it on PC or PS4. Too easy to pick up and play. Plus I'm better than I am on PC or console. Don't win that many but finish in the top 10 a lot with 5 kills most games. Swear people are cheating!

I'm loving RDR2, I'm really enjoying the storyline, the world is just amazingly crafted and there is a huge amount of to do. Not played any of the multiplayer, just purely on the story mode. Played a lot of hours and still not finished it. It's weird you can become attached to an in game horse. Definitely better than the first, it just feels more interactive.

Anyone else playing Smash Ultimate? Came out on Friday, and it's a great game so far. It has all the characters from all the old games, and a huge amount of maps to choose from. 

I'm a fan of MMO's in general - but Fallout76 is complete tripe.

I'm a huge Fallout fan too. 

Although the real devs of Fallout, Obsidian, are making a new single player game with a similar vibe - so that's exciting.

Had no time to foray into RDR2. Got a Switch though recently, so that's been fun.

For any PC gamers here - I recommend Origins new premiere subscription service. Can turn it on and off (monthly payments of £15) - and you get access to every EA game, in its entirety, as if you bought the most expensive version - as long as the subscription is active.

Feel like playing BFV for a couple of weeks, but don't think you'll play it long enough to justify the £60-£100? - pay £15, cancel the sub, then play it freely for a month.

A great option for folks who don't play EA games predominantly. 

Will include Anthem when that's released in Feb too (and you get into the early access if you're subscribed a week before it's release).