Gaming

SaintRam

2 minutes ago, David said:

Nice try to increase the play base but it's not happening. Blackout, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 76 all coming out, you know, new games to play?

I do understand why you are still playing it though, being a PC player you have to stick to games longer as it's too expensive to upgrade for the latest games to run properly. My guess is Rocket League runs fairly well still without crashing for you?

? 

I've had my PC unchanged for 3 years and have yet to run into a game that I can't run at over 100FPS on max settings. But cute effort ?

I will also be playing all of those games you listed too. As well as all the games I currently play. I don't have to move on from games when new ones come out, I don't have ADHD ? 

There are simply no other games that scratch the itch that Rocket League does. If a new game comes out that does, I will potentially move on, until then Rocket League will remain in my wheelhouse. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

?

I've had my PC unchanged for 3 years and have yet to run into a game that I can't run at over 100FPS on max settings. But cute effort ?

I will also be playing all of those games you listed too. As well as all the games I currently play. I don't have to move on from games when new ones come out, I don't have ADHD ? 

There are simply no other games that scratch the itch that Rocket League does. If a new game comes out that does, I will potentially move on, until then Rocket League will remain in my wheelhouse. 

Just as I thought, new graphics card is needed, ouch. Expensive those! ?

Just now, David said:

Just as I thought, new graphics card is needed, ouch. Expensive those! ?

I'll need a new Graphics Card about the same time you need new consoles ? PS5 will be out in the next two years. Will still be worse than current PCs.

Although, while PCs are vastly superior, I am a console gamer too cos console exclusives are mostly excellent, so I'll never bash them too hard. They serve a purpose. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The new Red Dead does look excellent, certainly one I'll be playing. Problem is, when you finish the story line, will there be much to do? The first Red Dead wasn't great after the story mode was done with.

That will be interesting to see, they lose a lot of the elements they turn into MP content on GTA with Red Dead. 

Definitely looking forward to trying it out though. I'll be sad if they don't have good MP content as I might struggle to finish the SP without it. Hard to finish SP stuff when people are constantly nagging you to play something MP with them.

Still haven't finished the ducking Witcher.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The new Red Dead does look excellent, certainly one I'll be playing. Problem is, when you finish the story line, will there be much to do? The first Red Dead wasn't great after the story mode was done with.

Yeah, that's why I will wait a bit before buying, let it drop in the sale after the initial hype, not that desperate.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That will be interesting to see, they lose a lot of the elements they turn into MP content on GTA with Red Dead. 

Definitely looking forward to trying it out though. I'll be sad if they don't have good MP content as I might struggle to finish the SP without it. Hard to finish SP stuff when people are constantly nagging you to play something MP with them.

Still haven't finished the ducking Witcher.

Yeah, good MP content is definitely a must for it, it has so much potential too. Other than dicking about in free roam with friends, the last one was severely lacking. The Witcher was so long, decent game though.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'll need a new Graphics Card about the same time you need new consoles ? PS5 will be out in the next two years. Will still be worse than current PCs.

Although, while PCs are vastly superior, I am a console gamer too cos console exclusives are mostly excellent, so I'll never bash them too hard. They serve a purpose. 

Depends on how you are judging them both I guess. 

For me I will take the comfort of the sofa without the crashes, or having to check my console spec to see if it will run the latest game.

Might have to sacrifice a few extra frames, but that's nothing.

I would still take a PS2 over the current high spec PC's.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Depends on how you are judging them both I guess. 

For me I will take the comfort of the sofa without the crashes, or having to check my console spec to see if it will run the latest game.

Might have to sacrifice a few extra frames, but that's nothing.

I would still take a PS2 over the current high spec PC's.

It's all preference. I'm not really a "PC Master Race" guy, I was just bantering back. As I said, I have consoles, I use them and enjoy them. I'd never play a FIFA/Madden on PC, for example. 

In my experience though, I've had more crashes on my consoles than on my PC - and I can play controller-friendly PC games on my sofa if I choose too. So its not like its all downsides.

I do accept though, that having to be aware of your spec rather than having 100% confidence every game you buy is going to run on your machine (which I do, in fairness, but I spent more money when I built my PC to make sure) no matter how long ago you bought it is a major advantage in terms of comfort factor.

The machine itself is also much cheaper, as you've alluded to previously. Which again is an advantage. Although they do make some of that back over its lifetime as I personally have found that games on consoles are more expensive. But not enough to negate the initial advantage, for sure.

Fair review of a Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro vs $500 PC here;

Personally, if I only had $500 to spend on a PC I wouldn't bother, I spend more than that on a graphics card alone ?

We've got a PS4 (used by our youngest for Fortnite and by everyone else for blurays) I've tried gaming on it but can't be doing with those little sticks, gimme the control and accuracy of a mouse and keyboard any day.  My PC also does a million* more things than a console does anyway so personally speaking the £2k-£3k investment every 3 or 4 years more than pays for itself compared to a buying the latest console.

* more-or-less ?

20 hours ago, maxjam said:

Fair review of a Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro vs $500 PC here;

Personally, if I only had $500 to spend on a PC I wouldn't bother, I spend more than that on a graphics card alone ?

We've got a PS4 (used by our youngest for Fortnite and by everyone else for blurays) I've tried gaming on it but can't be doing with those little sticks, gimme the control and accuracy of a mouse and keyboard any day.  My PC also does a million* more things than a console does anyway so personally speaking the £2k-£3k investment every 3 or 4 years more than pays for itself compared to a buying the latest console.

* more-or-less ?

That seems a bit frequent for a rig that high end. I spend similar but its more like 6 years.

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That seems a bit frequent for a rig that high end. I spend similar but its more like 6 years.

Oh yeah, complete overkill but my old PCs get passed onto our 2 lads so we're all using something relatively current.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Oh yeah, complete overkill but my old PCs get passed onto our 2 lads so we're all using something relatively current.

Ahhh that makes sense. 

Forza Horizon 4 is absolutely incredible. 

Completely loving every minute of it. Great modes for multiplayer races to really help balance out the experience if your friends wildly vary in competence. Looks amazing. Sounds amazing. Runs very smoothly.

I've yet to develop a criticism. 

And the Vega 64 is quicker than a 1080ti in this game as well. 

https://www.techspot.com/review/1716-forza-horizon-4-gpu-benchmarks/

Not that i have one! 

I can spend £400 quid on a video card but have been hanging on to my 280x for ages hoping for a Vega refresh to up clock speeds and lower power. Probably won't happen, might have to wait for Navi.

Will only get nVidia if i absolutely have no option, not a fan of their practices and hey, i like the underdog ? 

Edited by ColonelBlimp
added link

• 2 weeks later...

That Top Cashback app is pretty good. 

My broadband contract/offer with Sky is up next month, the price would go up a tenner a month. Thought I would shop around, I say shop around when I only really trust Sky, Virgin or BT and with Virgin not in our area yet I went to BT. 

Slightly slow speeds, for the same offer price I had at Sky for 18 months, plus a Amazon Echo and £80 Mastercard as a new customer. Bargain. Then the missus stopped me to fire up her TopCashback app, we went through that and got the same deal but she has £100 cash back now as well. 

A lot of shops have 1% offers here and there, nothing special but it's worth checking out for things like utility bills when switching.

As for gaming, actually really enjoying Black Ops 4, didn't play much of the last CoD, didn't really grip me, but this one has and I've not ventured outside of multiplayer yet. Some will call it lazy but I like that they have included a bunch of old maps from the off that you instantly recognise and know how to navigate and the spawns.