Gaming

SaintRam

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

The Epic Sale has started along with their 15 free games giveaway...

Today's free game is Cities Skylines - knocking on a bit now, but a damn fine game non-the-less ?

The sale is excellent value as well, good discounts on many games and unlimited £10 vouchers to further reduce the price of games costing £14.99 or more.  Just picked up Destroy All Humans for £6.50 and Star Wars Squadrons for £10.99 and they won't be the last I buy before the sales over!

Are these deals on xbox one?

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Are these deals on xbox one?

Dunno tbh.

I just checked my Epic account and I can connect it to xbox, so I guess you might be able to get the Epic Store on your xbox - but I don't have one so can't say for sure.  Can't imagine the deals would be PC only though if you can access it on xbox.

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Dunno tbh.

I just checked my Epic account and I can connect it to xbox, so I guess you might be able to get the Epic Store on your xbox - but I don't have one so can't say for sure.  Can't imagine the deals would be PC only though if you can access it on xbox.

Cheers I'll take a look.

If you've got a high end PC, Cyberpunk actually a very good game.

Shortish main story, about 15-20hrs long but the side quests shouldn't really be considered side quests as they add a lot of content and background information to individual characters and the story.

I've only experienced a few relatively minor bugs myself, mostly fixed by a quick save/reload and would whole-heartedly recommend it.  If you're in any doubt however, wait 6 months or so for any bugs to get patched out and pick it up for half price!

Not sure what its like on PS5 or the new Xbox, but anyone thinking of playing it on last gen consoles should steer well clear - hence the refunds.  Shocking it got released in that state tbh ?

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of stock for any game console, not just the new gen releases, I was struggling to find a PS4 for under £200, and that’s just the basic model. After many weeks of searching, however, I have bought a PS4 Pro for a good price. Means I can now play all the first party titles I have missed out on being on Xbox. Anyone got any recommendations for favourite PS4 games?

I’ve so far bought Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted (Nathan Drake collection) and Witcher 3. Got a backlog there to keep me busy for now. Don’t do well with scary stuff so not sure if I will enjoy Last of Us...

Side note - anyone with a console they don’t use anymore, stick it on eBay. You will make some good money at the minute!

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

Due to lack of stock for any game console, not just the new gen releases, I was struggling to find a PS4 for under £200, and that’s just the basic model. After many weeks of searching, however, I have bought a PS4 Pro for a good price. Means I can now play all the first party titles I have missed out on being on Xbox. Anyone got any recommendations for favourite PS4 games?

I’ve so far bought Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted (Nathan Drake collection) and Witcher 3. Got a backlog there to keep me busy for now. Don’t do well with scary stuff so not sure if I will enjoy Last of Us...

Side note - anyone with a console they don’t use anymore, stick it on eBay. You will make some good money at the minute!

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my favourite games, just bought it for a second time in the Epic sale to play it on my PC ?

As for good PS4 games I guess that depends on your taste but I can recommend Fortnite (free!), Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey, GTAV, Monster Hunter World, Dishonored 2, Doom Eternal.

On 18/12/2020 at 18:53, maxjam said:

Leaked list of Epic Store freebie games - can't confirm if its right or not but the first two are correct.

Some very good games on the list ?

This leaked list turned out to be correct ?

Final day today and Epic are giving away Jurassic World Evolution. I bought this at launch and probably have 50+ hours into it - excellent game if you like the genre.

On 31/12/2020 at 18:38, maxjam said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my favourite games, just bought it for a second time in the Epic sale to play it on my PC ?

As for good PS4 games I guess that depends on your taste but I can recommend Fortnite (free!), Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey, GTAV, Monster Hunter World, Dishonored 2, Doom Eternal.

I’ve played most of those on Xbox. Although may have to go back to Red Dead as I’ve not got very far and stopped playing when life got busy. Odyssey too, started well but just didn’t have the time.

Uncharted 1 was really good (for a PS3 era game) but what is up with the scares at end? No spoilers, but my word, I wasn’t expecting it. Just started Horizon, very good so far. Gorgeous looking game.

50 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I’ve played most of those on Xbox. Although may have to go back to Red Dead as I’ve not got very far and stopped playing when life got busy. Odyssey too, started well but just didn’t have the time.

Uncharted 1 was really good (for a PS3 era game) but what is up with the scares at end? No spoilers, but my word, I wasn’t expecting it. Just started Horizon, very good so far. Gorgeous looking game.

I picked up Immortals Fenyx Rising at the end of the Epic sale as well, you can add that to the list of excellent games as well - Zelda Breath of the Wild vibes, but on PC!

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Can anyone advise on this gaming laptop?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/series/nitro5

It's literally half the price of most gaming laptops but I'm only looking for a starter one for my kid (he's only 10 but has just got into coding - I know nothing about any of this).

Is this a decent buy for a starter or is it junk?

@SaintRam probably builds gaming computers in his sleep. I'm sure he could answer your question.

44 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

It's literally half the price of most gaming laptops but I'm only looking for a starter one for my kid (he's only 10 but has just got into coding - I know nothing about any of this).

Which model ? Although for a starter they should all be sufficient.

If he wants it for coding, then that's also different from gaming, he will be using the keyboard a lot so worth considering, but if also wants it for gaming as well, the  different story. 

10 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Which model ? Although for a starter they should all be sufficient.

If he wants it for coding, then that's also different from gaming, he will be using the keyboard a lot so worth considering, but if also wants it for gaming as well, the  different story. 

Mainly gaming I reckon. Minecraft, fortnite, basic coding... 

Cheapest model - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205931-pdt.html?awc=1599_1610800350_c1f1438d87c4f83dc69e750c52c8c267&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~S8~Editorial Content~158752~SHAREIGHT+(Octer)

Edited by Beetroot

1 hour ago, Beetroot said:

I'm always wary of these things - I followed the link and checked out the spec. The really important thing for gaming is the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and the ad says "up to Ge-force 30 series". These are the latest, much heralded and the pics show they are very good indeed. The model names are GE3070 3080 and 3090. It looks like from a quick squint around that the lowest price for this bit of the laptop alone is $499!!

When I clicked on the grey button to "View all models" none of the 4 that wee displayed had the Ge-force 30 series GPU - they were older specs. Which are supposedly much inferior.......tech nerd link attached for further information.

www.vrfocus.com/2020/09/nvidia-geforce-rtx-spec-comparison-30-series-vs-20-series/

Might explain why they look so cheap - need to check the detailed component serial numbers line by line, or you might be buying old tech mate, having been lured in by a "new tech" ad.

6 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

I'm pretty sure there are plenty more people with expertise in this area than me, but it looks sufficient for what you need it for, if that's basic gaming. 

For me it's good value for what you are getting, but you wouldn't be running some of the latest games in maximum settings. 

52 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm always wary of these things - I followed the link and checked out the spec. The really important thing for gaming is the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and the ad says "up to Ge-force 30 series". These are the latest, much heralded and the pics show they are very good indeed. The model names are GE3070 3080 and 3090. It looks like from a quick squint around that the lowest price for this bit of the laptop alone is $499!!

When I clicked on the grey button to "View all models" none of the 4 that wee displayed had the Ge-force 30 series GPU - they were older specs. Which are supposedly much inferior.......tech nerd link attached for further information.

www.vrfocus.com/2020/09/nvidia-geforce-rtx-spec-comparison-30-series-vs-20-series/

Might explain why they look so cheap - need to check the detailed component serial numbers line by line, or you might be buying old tech mate, having been lured in by a "new tech" ad.

Junk then?