Gaming

SaintRam

2 minutes ago, David said:

Bots to inflate the numbers. Why give away a popular game? Makes no sense. 

Because in-game purchases are the real moneymakers, especially for EPIC who now own Rocket League, who created the 'Live' shop for Fortnite (it only has a few things in it a time and they rotate, creating the illusion that people only have a limited window to get the things they want) and now have it implemented in Rocket League.

It's an especially predatory type of in-game purchasing model that means they can give vouchers to people adding it to their account and be confident the increase in traffic will massively boost their profits. 

Edited by SaintRam

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Because in-game purchases are the real moneymakers, especially for EPIC who now own Rocket League, who created the 'Live' shop for Fortnite (it only has a few things in it a time and they rotate, creating the illusion that people only have a limited window to get the things they want) and now have it implemented in Rocket League.

It's an especially predatory type of in-game purchasing model that means they can give vouchers to people adding it to their account and be confident the increase in traffic will massively boost their profits. 

Rather play Fortnite and pay money to make myself look like a Unicorn than bouncing a ball off a car over and over again

Just now, David said:

Rather play Fortnite and pay money to make myself look like a Unicorn than bouncing a ball off a car over and over again

That's your prerogative mate; was just chiming in on the business decisions.

I've never played Fortnite, personally. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's your prerogative mate; was just chiming in on the business decisions.

I've never played Fortnite, personally. 

Better business decision would be to make the game more enjoyable though wouldn’t it? That way you can charge for the game and in app purchases ?

11 minutes ago, David said:

Better business decision would be to make the game more enjoyable though wouldn’t it? That way you can charge for the game and in app purchases ?

The game is what it is. ? 

And they were charging for both for a while there. Few years at least.

Epics shop is just so good at getting £££ out of kids; and the target audience for that kind of shop are far more likely to pick up a free game than a paid one - regardless of its popularity. 

Fortnite would have flopped if it was a paid game; instead its(I think) the most popular game of all time and makes about a billion a year or something mad.

Edited by SaintRam

4 minutes ago, David said:

Ahh so Rocket League is a kids game? Probably explains why I don’t enjoy it 

Unless you play RPGs or advanced sim games, every multiplayer game's audience has a majority of under 18s. 

Edited by SaintRam

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Fortnite would have flopped if it was a paid game; instead its(I think) the most popular game of all time and makes about a billion a year or something mad.

Probably in America and maybe Europe too, but due to China alone League of Legends is the biggest game of all time. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Tell the truth David, you couldn't get out of silver and gave it up! 

I'd be very surprised if he played any ranked. If memory serves he was done with it after about 2 weeks ? 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Probably in America and maybe Europe too, but due to China alone League of Legends is the biggest game of all time. 

Ah yeah; I was probably misremembering it from some mobile gaming context.

Of course LoL is the most popular game of all time; also because its free ? Man I used to love LoL.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I'd be very surprised if he played any ranked. If memory serves he was done with it after about 2 weeks ? 

I've been playing regularly since 2016, though I hate what they've done with the update (they've made the GUI so much worse than it was), I still have a lot of fun playing. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Ah yeah; I was probably misremembering it from some mobile gaming context.

Of course LoL is the most popular game of all time; also because its free ? Man I used to love LoL.

One of those games that if you stop playing you can never get back into because of the skill floor being kinda high. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I've been playing regularly since 2016, though I hate what they've done with the update (they've made the GUI so much worse than it was), I still have a lot of fun playing. 

Been playing since launch. Accumulated myself up to the top 1% in saves and wins, top 1.2 in MVPs. Bottom 2% in shot to goal ratio ? 

Defensively minded, honest ?

Just now, SaintRam said:

Been playing since launch. Accumulated myself up to the top 1% in saves and wins, top 1.2 in MVPs. Bottom 2% in shot to goal ratio ? 

Defensively minded, honest ?

Played much ranked? I've been stuck at Diamond 2/Diamond 3 for a year or so now. Got close to reaching Champ but never good enough to actually reach it. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Played much ranked? I've been stuck at Diamond 2/Diamond 3 for a year or so now. Got close to reaching Champ but never good enough to actually reach it. 

Yeah, basically all ranked. I hate people constantly dropping in and out in quickplay.

https://rocketleague.tracker.network/rocket-league/profile/steam/76561198004227100/overview

I've been hovering around Champ 3 past couple of seasons - but I'm really quite bad in terms of technical ability/aerial control for the level I play at so the the step into Grand Champion doesn't seem likely.

Edited by SaintRam

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Yeah, basically all ranked. I hate people constantly dropping in and out in quickplay.

https://rocketleague.tracker.network/rocket-league/profile/steam/76561198004227100/overview

I've been hovering around Champ 3 past couple of seasons - but I'm really quite bad in terms of technical ability/aerial control for the level I play at the the step into Grand Champion doesn't seem likely.

They're adding some more ranks at the top aren't they? You might get into GC in the new season just from the new rank distributions, I'm hoping that'll be enough to push me into champ. I'm the same in terms of aerial, I always preferred to play by taking a lot of shots and just playing fast, but as such my air dribbling is terrible. 

I tend to play 2v2 only, I prefer how much more of the ball you get on that mode.

Just now, Andicis said:

They're adding some more ranks at the top aren't they? You might get into GC in the new season just from the new rank distributions, I'm hoping that'll be enough to push me into champ. I'm the same in terms of aerial, I always preferred to play by taking a lot of shots and just playing fast, but as such my air dribbling is terrible. 

I tend to play 2v2 only, I prefer how much more of the ball you get on that mode.

I only like playing 2v2 when I'm playing with someone else, which isn't often. So always 3v3 for me.

I'll 2v2 with you sometime, if you like. I doubt I have any MMR in that mode.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I only like playing 2v2 when I'm playing with someone else, which isn't often. So always 3v3 for me.

I'll 2v2 with you sometime, if you like. I doubt I have any MMR in that mode.

Sounds fun to me. I find 3v3 is a lot more chaotic, and I've always been a bit greedy for the ball. I get bad luck in 1v1. I quite often come up against GC/Champ players despite only being plat 1, then they put 10 past me and it puts me off the mode for a few months.

1 hour ago, David said:

Bots to inflate the numbers. Why give away a popular game? Makes no sense. 

It’s been out for ages, was given away to the majority of PS4 players with PS Plus years ago. Makes complete sense to switch to a F2P model to capture all those that haven’t played thus far and get them spending on the endless customisation instead.