Gaming

SaintRam

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

A pretty obvious one here, given your requirements, but Lego Star Wars (or any of the lego games really) seems like an ideal fit. It's really easy to pick up and play. Good simple fun and there's quite a bit of longevity if you find you like it and decide to try and get all the collectables.

Minecraft is basically lego, the video game. There's an almost limitless list of things you can do and build in that game. I've never tried split screen on a single console though, and it seems like it might be a little fiddly to set up.

There's a game called "A Way Out" that is specifically designed for two player co-op with puzzle and shooting segments. It got pretty good reviews. You do play as criminals who break out of prison, so there's quite a bit of murder and mature content.

The Halo 1-3 games are a great co-op experience in my opinion. As first person shooters go they're quite intuitive and pretty easy on the lower difficulty settings, but it will still be tough to pick it up initially if you aren't used to playing first person shooters.

Thanks for that. He has minecraft on his iPad and loves that. We have tried Lego Star Wars games on the iPad but never really fathomed them out. Perhaps better on a console? I might give that a try. I also thought about Star Wars episode 1 racers - older game but ‘re-released’ and meant to be ok. I thought a racing game would be ideal to get used to the controls. He’ll probably end up on fortnite though I would imagine! 

7 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Hi all

Have bought my 10 year old an Xbox one for his 10th birthday. His first games console and mine since the Spectrum 48k ( which I still have in the loft!)

Anyway, any recommendations on easy to play games suitable for a beginner? Looking for something we can play together offline, get used to the controls etc. We like Star Wars, he loves Lego, I am really tight and both of us now hate football. Any suggestions for games based on these parameters? Maybe good two player games or something?

I considered Battlefront, which I pretty muck know nothing about, but was worried it would be too complicated for a beginner and possibly age inappropriate. Squadrons seems a little tricky as well although, again, this is only based on what I have read.

Any advice welcome. 

I'd second the Lego series.

Me and my lad have had a blast playing Lego Marvel this past year.

He's also loved playing Rocket League. We learned together. It's tricky to get the hand eye coordination right at first. But preserve because when you crack it it is enormous fun.

6 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Thanks for that. He has minecraft on his iPad and loves that. We have tried Lego Star Wars games on the iPad but never really fathomed them out. Perhaps better on a console? I might give that a try. I also thought about Star Wars episode 1 racers - older game but ‘re-released’ and meant to be ok. I thought a racing game would be ideal to get used to the controls. He’ll probably end up on fortnite though I would imagine! 

Fortnite is pretty good tbh - maybe you can also get him into the creative that comes with it?  One of my lads had great fun designing his own maps etc.  

Also you should look at 'Save the World', its the solo/multiplayer PvE game that comes with Fortnite.  I've personally had hundreds of hours of fun with that and it teaches you to build/shoot etc without the pressure of some PvP god gunning you down before you realise you're under attack ? You can get it pretty cheap now-a-days or iirc you can pick it up free with a fortnite membership.

41 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd second the Lego series.

Me and my lad have had a blast playing Lego Marvel this past year.

He's also loved playing Rocket League. We learned together. It's tricky to get the hand eye coordination right at first. But preserve because when you crack it it is enormous fun.

Thanks. Which Star Wars Lego would you recommend?

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Fortnite is pretty good tbh - maybe you can also get him into the creative that comes with it?  One of my lads had great fun designing his own maps etc.  

Also you should look at 'Save the World', its the solo/multiplayer PvE game that comes with Fortnite.  I've personally had hundreds of hours of fun with that and it teaches you to build/shoot etc without the pressure of some PvP god gunning you down before you realise you're under attack ? You can get it pretty cheap now-a-days or iirc you can pick it up free with a fortnite membership.

Useful. His friend has been telling him about the creative aspect. Think he will enjoy that as he enjoys minecraft. I will look into the ‘save the world’ thing as sounds perfect. Thanks for your time. ?

2 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Thanks. Which Star Wars Lego would you recommend?

They’re going to release a new Lego Star Wars game later this year - the Skywalker Saga. That will be the one to get, as it will incorporate all 9 films. The original Lego Star Wars is quite dated now, originally being released on the PS2. I would go for the Force Awakens game, it’s short but good fun and has loads of replay value. Lego games on console are much better than handheld/iPad versions!

In terms of other Lego games, my 8 year old enjoys Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, Lego Harry Potter and Lego City. There are other Lego games that are worth looking into, but some are better than others.

Lego Worlds is similar to Minecraft but not as good. Minecraft is def worth picking up just for replayability.

Other than that, I would say try Game Pass and check out the family section. It has a bunch of games to try and see which ones stick. My 2 like building zoos on Zoo Tycoon which we found on there. Hope that helps

23 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Thought I’d resurrect this... I really like my PS4 but unfortunately I have 2 little people who use it for Disney+ 99% of the time! The majority of my money goes on them so I can’t really justify paying big bucks for the new releases... anyone got any recommendations of old games that would be cheap? I’m just about to finish Just Cause 3 which I paid the extortionate price of £4.49 for! 

As @maxjam recommends, if you haven’t played Horizon Zero Dawn, do it and be ready to give up 60+ hours. I picked up a PS4 recently as I wanted to play the Sony exclusives, particularly Spiderman and God of War. Managed to get Horizon cheaply as I had heard good things. It’s possibly one of my fave games of all time. Brilliant, as I said, cheap at the minute. A lot of the PS exclusives are really good quality and cheap too. 

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Anyone actually been able to buy a PS5?

Not a hope so far. I’m enjoying the PS4 at the minute so happy to wait, especially as they’re still developing games for it. Will look to pick one up Autumn/Winter if any deals appear. Any luck yourself?

2 minutes ago, r4derby said:

As @maxjam recommends, if you haven’t played Horizon Zero Dawn, do it and be ready to give up 60+ hours. I picked up a PS4 recently as I wanted to play the Sony exclusives, particularly Spiderman and God of War. Managed to get Horizon cheaply as I had heard good things. It’s possibly one of my fave games of all time. Brilliant, as I said, cheap at the minute. A lot of the PS exclusives are really good quality and cheap too. 

I’ve downloaded it as it’s free atm. I like gaming but have no interest in paying £100 or so with all the dlc too. Looking forward to playing it when the kids give me time to! 

3 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I’ve downloaded it as it’s free atm. I like gaming but have no interest in paying £100 or so with all the dlc too. Looking forward to playing it when the kids give me time to! 

I have the same issue. Enjoy playing Minecraft and Lego games on the Xbox with them, but it’s good to get to an evening and play an hour or 2 on other things. As I said, I played a couple of hour slots of Horizon, and was still going months later. Warning - it can take a while to get going. There’s a lull after first few hours but after you open up map and start getting upgrades, you’ll find the game really takes off.

7 hours ago, r4derby said:

They’re going to release a new Lego Star Wars game later this year - the Skywalker Saga. That will be the one to get, as it will incorporate all 9 films. The original Lego Star Wars is quite dated now, originally being released on the PS2. I would go for the Force Awakens game, it’s short but good fun and has loads of replay value. Lego games on console are much better than handheld/iPad versions!

In terms of other Lego games, my 8 year old enjoys Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, Lego Harry Potter and Lego City. There are other Lego games that are worth looking into, but some are better than others.

Lego Worlds is similar to Minecraft but not as good. Minecraft is def worth picking up just for replayability.

Other than that, I would say try Game Pass and check out the family section. It has a bunch of games to try and see which ones stick. My 2 like building zoos on Zoo Tycoon which we found on there. Hope that helps

Thanks for your time. Some useful suggestions. 

7 hours ago, r4derby said:

Not a hope so far. I’m enjoying the PS4 at the minute so happy to wait, especially as they’re still developing games for it. Will look to pick one up Autumn/Winter if any deals appear. Any luck yourself?

Wasn't too interested when first released as was moving house but started looking a month or so ago and every time there's a "stock drop", which you have to be on Twitter to know about seems they're snapped up in seconds by bots.

Can't really believe this is still a problem 6 months after release. 

There's some shady looking websites that seem to be selling them at inflated prices but don't really want to use them.

Would have pre ordered one if I'd known it would be such a hassle.

Don't really understand why you can't put your name down with Game/Curry's etc and wait for one to turn up.

11 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Wasn't too interested when first released as was moving house but started looking a month or so ago and every time there's a "stock drop", which you have to be on Twitter to know about seems they're snapped up in seconds by bots.

There's some shady looking websites that seem to be selling them at inflated prices but don't really want to use them.

Don't really understand why you can't put your name down with Game/Curry's etc and wait for one to turn up.

I know, it’s frustrating that companies don’t have a queue of people waiting to buy one already to stop the bots snapping them up. It’s strange that scalpers are still doing it anyway, as I know a couple of people paid £650 plus at Christmas for one (as many did) but no one is interested in paying over the odds anymore.

In the end, it’s still an issue because I’m not sure how much Sony cares. There consoles are getting sold at rapid pace for the retail price, so it doesn’t matter (really) who is buying them. They must realise that not as many players are using the system and do something (eventually)...

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

I know, it’s frustrating that companies don’t have a queue of people waiting to buy one already to stop the bots snapping them up. It’s strange that scalpers are still doing it anyway, as I know a couple of people paid £650 plus at Christmas for one (as many did) but no one is interested in paying over the odds anymore.

In the end, it’s still an issue because I’m not sure how much Sony cares. There consoles are getting sold at rapid pace for the retail price, so it doesn’t matter (really) who is buying them. They must realise that not as many players are using the system and do something (eventually)...

Its out of their hands tbh, their has been a global chip shortage going on for a while now effecting everything;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/21/global-shortage-in-computer-chips-reaches-crisis-point#:~:text=The shortage in chips%2C the,the coronavirus pandemic first hit.&text=“There is a perfect storm,demand factors going on here.

22 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Anyway, any recommendations on easy to play games suitable for a beginner? 

Not sure about "easy" because I haven't played it yet, but It Takes Two is a new game, which has got really good reviews. Made by the same people as Anon's game A Way Out which he suggested.