Budget

i-Ram

The budget was another disastrous leap towards a divided country. The future is going to be pretty awful for anyone who can't fend for themselves and the families that will have to care for them.....there's only been a very short period in british history where the poor and sick have had a chance of anything like a reasonable standard of living, unfortunately that is now coming to an end.

There's no point moaning about it now. Labour have moved too close to the Tories on the major issues to put up any sort of real alternative to the short termism of the "only way is austerity" brigade. They are more worried about selecting a leader that The Sun approves of than one that may act in the interests of the majority.

I personally have given up and accept the fact that its everyone for themselves now, the community spirit that used to bind us together has been sucked up by the Tory press representing the top 1% and divided us into a scared and fearful nation that instead of blaming those running the show, blame the people in the next street.

I may find the energy at some point to support localism to try and stem the worst of the vulture capitalists attacks on our way of life, maybe local co-ops will spring up with caring volunteers and people pooling resources to eke out some kind of caring society in a very small way, but at the moment, all i can see is a stark and vicious future with gated areas, private security patrols and ghetto's of Americanesque depravity with a terrified middle desperately trying to join one group and even more desperately trying to keep out of the other.

it's the im all right jack mentality of this country nowadays that gets me... 

Never ever ever known such a selfish country as the one I'm in at the minute. In many attitudes....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The budget was another disastrous leap towards a divided country. The future is going to be pretty awful for anyone who can't fend for themselves and the families that will have to care for them.....there's only been a very short period in british history where the poor and sick have had a chance of anything like a reasonable standard of living, unfortunately that is now coming to an end.

There's no point moaning about it now. Labour have moved too close to the Tories on the major issues to put up any sort of real alternative to the short termism of the "only way is austerity" brigade. They are more worried about selecting a leader that The Sun approves of than one that may act in the interests of the majority.

I personally have given up and accept the fact that its everyone for themselves now, the community spirit that used to bind us together has been sucked up by the Tory press representing the top 1% and divided us into a scared and fearful nation that instead of blaming those running the show, blame the people in the next street.

I may find the energy at some point to support localism to try and stem the worst of the vulture capitalists attacks on our way of life, maybe local co-ops will spring up with caring volunteers and people pooling resources to eke out some kind of caring society in a very small way, but at the moment, all i can see is a stark and vicious future with gated areas, private security patrols and ghetto's of Americanesque depravity with a terrified middle desperately trying to join one group and even more desperately trying to keep out of the other.

I've had several attempts to write a response to this but I am unable to construct any argument without risking it turning into the usual left vs right fisticuffs - and I'm not even that far to the right. So the delete key is my new best friend and I will bid you a respectful good day sir and move on.

Maybe next time I'll feel like biting properly;)

I do fear for the future for our kids though. We're all in the same boat on that at least.

Living wage idea is ******* stupid, no reason why everyone over 18 shouldn't have the same minimum wage. You're an adult, you should be paid as one. So heres the genius part, lets add in another wage bracket for 25+ because 24 year olds dont deserve as much. Such pointless arbitrary lines.

I am a student but im fine with grants going, no reason for them to exist when it can be a loan that you just wont pay back (Can you tell that I'm not eligible for a grant?)

I'm a big fan of the idea of localism, from a capitalist look of view. 

I I like to see small micro enterprises given a chance to operate with ink local areas, for example. 

In fact a lit of the work I did in social care was around this. We set up micro provider associations, innovation grants for micro enterprises, caring co-ops , where people are able to pool their personal budgets, among other things, and a programme called  time banking, where I do an hour of work for you, you do an hour for someone else, and the do an hour for me. 

The odd thing is, this is all done in the spirit of austerity. By encouraging communities to do things for themselves, it's less that the actual government have to spoon feed them, and it's ultimately cheaper. 

Mine minute people are saying 'what's happened to our benefits' the next they're saying, 'what happened to the community spirit that bound us together'. Well when you're earning £40,000 a year in benefits, with the government providing everything publicly for you, what incentive do you have to ever have to knock on your neighbours door for anything?

localism and community action is definitely the way to go, and I think the Tories are all about that. 

My initial thoughts to the budget were "fair enough" and a 7/10. However, reading the conclusion of the IFS yesterday, I'm shocked by some of the implications:

The IFS analysis suggests that those in work - but receiving low salaries - will be the worst-affected.

Those in the second poorest category are likely to lose more than £1,200 a year. By contrast, the richest 10% stand to lose less than £400 each. And those in the second wealthiest category will be better off, by more than £100.

I'm all for incentivising people into work and working for longer but this just looks like someone in Govt did their sums wrong *he says hopefully*

What's defined as a low salary? Below the national average?

Someone is always going to lose out, and it's frustrating. I know someone who's on benefits, not worked in 20 years, claims disability allowance, agoraphobic when the health visitor comes around but still managed to go out almost everyday shopping, and have just received a payment of 5k, and an increase in benefits of £307 per month, and just had a lovely new bathroom suite fitted..what incentive would this individual have to work (The minority spoiling it for the genuine majority)

And then there's people out there working 40+ hours a week to get 18k a year to live off and support families, and are looking to lose out substantially.

Personally just plod along with it each year, if there's any changes for me, I just adapt my lifestyle accordingly... and try to be as naive as possible to the benefits otherwise just end up getting irate at the system.

My initial thoughts to the budget were "fair enough" and a 7/10. However, reading the conclusion of the IFS yesterday, I'm shocked by some of the implications:

The IFS analysis suggests that those in work - but receiving low salaries - will be the worst-affected.

Those in the second poorest category are likely to lose more than £1,200 a year. By contrast, the richest 10% stand to lose less than £400 each. And those in the second wealthiest category will be better off, by more than £100.

I'm all for incentivising people into work and working for longer but this just looks like someone in Govt did their sums wrong *he says hopefully*

No - this is the tories, they knew exactly what they were doing. Their agenda is to keep the poor where they are and siphon all the money upwards, whilst making it look like they aren't

Does this look like the face of a man who is stoked to be helping the poor people better themselves?

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10375593.ece/alternates/w620/v2-IDS fist pump.JPG

As you say it's an "I'm alright Jack" society today. Prime example was the budget, more smoke and mirrors than a knackered old Vespa. 

It doesn't affect me but some people who think they are alright are going to get hit, they just haven't looked at the small details and cause and effect issues this budget brings. 

It's all about the headlines. However even some Tories aren't happy with it. 

No - this is the tories, they knew exactly what they were doing. Their agenda is to keep the poor where they are and siphon all the money upwards, whilst making it look like they aren't

Does this look like the face of a man who is stoked to be helping the poor people better themselves?

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10375593.ece/alternates/w620/v2-IDS fist pump.JPG

Ian Duncan Smith is a complete and utter *******. I am very cynical of politicians in general and thought at my age i'd seen it all.....my god, that **** has really raised the bar in sheer sausageishness.

Absolute ******* disgrace. If Cameron doesn't sack him or make him retire soon, then that one picture will come back to haunt this government more than they're divisive regressive policies ever will.

i think Ian Duncan Smith fist pumping was out of order, we knew this budget would cause more misery, more austerity and he shown utter disrespect by his actions.

Given today's story that Cameron want to opt out of EU labour laws I'd say there's going to be a hell of a lot of misery for the low paid and the British workforce in general. 

I'm starting to think emigration is a good option. 

Wouldn't this be a good time for Labour to leave no stone unturned in their search for a believable and genuine leader that's got the people you mention as their priority Ramarena ?

I want to vote Labour but never will while the Harman's, Cooper's and Burnham's are in the positions they've carved out for themselves. For me they are not as bad as Duncan Smith but they are not far behind.

Wouldn't this be a good time for Labour to leave no stone unturned in their search for a believable and genuine leader that's got the people you mention as their priority Ramarena ?

I want to vote Labour but never will while the Harman's, Cooper's and Burnham's are in the positions they've carved out for themselves. For me they are not as bad as Duncan Smith but they are not far behind.

I dunno, I've never voted Labour so haven't been following the leadership contest that closely. I agree with you on the one's you mention and Kendall should just cross over to the blue team as that's where her heart clearly is. 

From what I have seen, Corbyn is the man you want as opposition leader, he could stick it to Cameron and put him on the rack and as we all know Cameron does not like the proles getting uppity, he loses his rag when called out over his many failures.

But I doubt Corbyn is electable, given the way the public has been manipulated into a shift to the right. 

In reality we need a new centre left party from the ashes of the Libs and Labour that can find a common cause with the workers of Britain, because they are going to get a really rough ride over the next few years. 

Sadly the Neo Liberals have won the battle, hopefully they won't win the war. 

Given today's story that Cameron want to opt out of EU labour laws I'd say there's going to be a hell of a lot of misery for the low paid and the British workforce in general. 

I'm starting to think emigration is a good option

yeah I tried that and fell flat on my arse.

I was expecting pensions tax relief to become 30% for everybody (floated by the Lib Dems a while ago I think), this was the only issue I really had any interest in as that would have been a big cost to my family (savers not spenders).

Interesting that this country allows a bunch of highly privilage, spoilt brats that have never needed to work for anything, appart from their own self serving agendas to set the agenda for the whole country and for parts of society they do not care for or understand, and are not willing to.

And the others are of little better use.

#noneoftheabove

Archived