DeAndre Yedlin

Ambitious

Harkes? Surely you mean?

And he was a perfectly good player who made numerous premier league appearances... I suspect he'd be a very good championship CM...

You clearly never saw him play for us in the 2nd tier.

Also every player we seem to loan of spurs seems to struggle here. Wasn't the last one really highly rated, the right back Adam Smith?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also every player we seem to loan of spurs seems to struggle here. Wasn't the last one really highly rated, the right back Adam Smith?

Yep, the one who got promoted this season with Bournemouth - sometimes wonder whether we do enough as a crowd to give our new players/loaners time to adjust - particularly those under 23.

Yep, the one who got promoted this season with Bournemouth - sometimes wonder whether we do enough as a crowd to give our new players/loaners time to adjust - particularly those under 23.

He's made 7 starts in 18 months, and arguably his biggest contribution was giving away a last minute penalty v Sheff Wed

He's made 7 starts in 18 months, and arguably his biggest contribution was giving away a last minute penalty v Sheff Wed

He also found himself behind Francis for the right back role - difficult player to shift given his steady performances, which caught our scout's attention.  Sound young player, who represented us (England) at various levels.  He will be a good player given a chance to settle.

El Hamdaoui wasn't too bad, until he got injured. Livermore and Carroll both less than useless (Livermore more than Carroll)

Evidence would be three seasons watching him play football. You don't have to have been played at RB/LB/RW/LW to have the opportunity to show you can put a good ball into the box.

I've taken into account his general passing ability, short and long. I've considered his performance in that odd game at right back last season. I've recollected the times he had the ball on the wing (even when playing CB) and what he's done with the ball in those situations.

I've thought about how many times I've seen him succesfuly cross a ball into the box, which would be round about zero, and come to a conclusion that despite the attributes he could bring to the position, accurate and threatening crossing, and beating players one on one in attacking situations are not amongst them.

Where is your evidence that he can cross a ball? I'm not the one trying to claim he should be regularly played in a position that he hasn't played for 5 seasons, the onus of finding evidence is on you, not me.

Confused, has he played there this past season or hasn't he?

If he's played at centre back all the time he's been at Derby, he will have had extremely limited opportunities to cross a ball into the opposition's box from a wide position.

It's well known that he has played as a right-back regularly during his career, albiet not at Derby. I'm not saying that we should definitely play him there, I'm saying he could do a job there. 

El Hamdaoui wasn't too bad, until he got injured. Livermore and Carroll both less than useless (Livermore more than Carroll)

El Hamdaoui was good mate he was looking the part , then got injured , mmm now where has that happened before  mmm ?

Confused, has he played there this past season or hasn't he?

If he's played at centre back all the time he's been at Derby, he will have had extremely limited opportunities to cross a ball into the opposition's box from a wide position.

It's well known that he has played as a right-back regularly during his career, albiet not at Derby. I'm not saying that we should definitely play him there, I'm saying he could do a job there. 

I see you've decided to feign idiocy and a lack of comprehension as some sort of obtuse way of appearing to be clever. Confused? I doubt it.

You know full well I meant that he hasn't regularly played at RB (for no more than half of one match) in the last 5 years - that is definitely 5 (2 at Coventry, 3 here) but probably even longer.  Unfortunately (maybe!) I can't recall his entire career.

There's usually a good reason people change positions - often it's because they lose the physical abilities to play one and so move, but that's certainly not the case with Keogh. It stands to reason then that he's moved because his footballing attributes are far more suited to CB, indicating (you guessed it) that his footballing attributes are not really suited to RB - backed up by everything I've seen of him in three seasons at Derby.

'Our system' is a little bit of a moot point, but if our system this coming season also relies on the RB/LB to provide overlapping width and to deliver balls into the box then there is simply no evidence that Keogh 'could do a job' performing that role, whether he played as RB 6, 7 years ago or not.

Keogh's RB days are long behind him, and better left there, much like Warnock's DM days are in the dim and distant past (with the exception of about 30 minutes there in one game last season, before you attempt to be 'clever' again)

EVERY player (bar the goalkeeper) will find themselves with the ball out wide and in a position to put it in the box a number of times over a season. Keogh likes to get forward and will have had more opportunities than most CBs. I'm still waiting for you to find some examples of Keogh putting a good ball into the box, from any area of the pitch!

last one was Dawkins. He was mint on loan just took his foot off the gas a bit when he landed permanent move 

I did... And found him solid, a little lacking in flair but a decent enough hard working midfielder...

After 2 decent enough seasons for us in the 2nd tier he played for then Premier League West Ham so he can't have been that bad...

I did... And found him solid, a little lacking in flair but a decent enough hard working midfielder...

After 2 decent enough seasons for us in the 2nd tier he played for then Premier League West Ham so he can't have been that bad...

I always thought he was poor and, he came with a reputation but as a wide midfielder he didn't ever offer anything. His last game for us, I think away to Pompey he got took off by Jim smith after about 30 mins and was never seen again. He played 12 games for West Ham on loan but I haven't a clue how he did there. 

Yedlin was mint at the World Cup - an absolute star. He looked totally amazing.

One thing I would say is never sign anyone on the basis of their World Cup performances. Almost always you find they flattered to deceive. Seriously though, we have Christie, Shotton, Ssewankambo, Baird, Keogh who can all play right back. I think that's enough. We saw at the start of last season that Christie can be an excellent right back (and has broken into the Repubic setup). Shotton has played a lot of Premier League games at right back in a solid defensive team. Sswewankambo plays for the Swedish U21s and comes with a Chelsea pedigree and first division experience in Holland. Baird has massive experience and is an international defender. Keogh can do a job there if called upon and is another international defender.

It would be madness, madness I tell thee, to take someone on loan and develop them in this position for another club, ignoring our own very good resources. Let the coaches do their work and we should have the best right back options in the division as it is.

Surely it will take eight games to gel a side together well. It will be fine to start not too well as long as the strikers have their shooting boots on. What I mean is that we need solid defenders in the team from the off.

Archived