McClaren and Newcastle...fact

leemark

And a good supporter can also lose a connection to the club and a feeling of it being a chore to go and not enjoy it.

​Then I would suggest you are very young and have yet to see DCFC really struggle. 

To say that watching DCFC pre McClaren was a chore suggests to me that you are a fair weather fan. 

Nothing wrong with that. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of us should readily acknowledge that life is too short to worry about such trivial things. Begrudgingly, and only begrudgingly, I hereby wish Mr MacLaren the best for the future.

Same from me too....cos boy is he gonna need luck!

cant wait to hear him say "we go again " 

McClaren interview on Sky.

"...........and then obviously the well documented one of January just gone where again the timing wasn't right, I had a job to do at Derby, we were on course doing that, I'd only been there just over a year and I felt at the time it wasn't right, we were top of the league, we were going to achieve what we wanted to achieve, get into the premier league and the job I wanted to finish, so it wasn't a case of turning Newcastle down at all it was a case of staying loyal to Derby and that's what I wanted to do"

I may be in a minority of one but I wish McClaren well.

And you too may yet change your mind as McClaren "chats" more openly about past events

McClaren interview on Sky.

"...........and then obviously the well documented one of January just gone where again the timing wasn't right, I had a job to do at Derby, we were on course doing that, I'd only been there just over a year and I felt at the time it wasn't right, we were top of the league, we were going to achieve what we wanted to achieve, get into the premier league and the job I wanted to finish, so it wasn't a case of turning Newcastle down at all it was a case of staying loyal to Derby and that's what I wanted to do"

I may be in a minority of one but I wish McClaren well.

​Uhh... from the tone it sounds like he didn't want to "pull a Jewell" so to speak and take over a basket case midseason, and have it permanently tarnish his reputation (hence not taking the job once our season was over). From what I've heard it's sounding more and more about protecting his own reputation rather than "being loyal" to us. He speaks like a man who already decided that it was where he was going, and it was more a matter of when, not if. 

I was 50/50 over Mac's sacking but now I'm 100% in favour.

Throughout the whole Newcastle rumours saga, all McClaren ever said was that he was under contract at Derby and whilst me and many others accepted this, that he was being pragmatic about things, it now does smack of disloyalty and courting his next appointment. I would even go as far as saying he even engineered his own dismissal because, you know, whilst under contract he wouldn't go anywhere.

The rumours of airborne coffee cups, the alarming dip in form, questionable selections and tactics, a total lack of cohesion in the coaching structure... they all don't sit right with me. The dressing room wasn't lost because of Bent, Ince and Lingard coming in, it was lost because of the management/coaching.

I could be grateful to Mac for the excitement he brought to the club but that excitement has become a bit sour at the eventual outcome. Personally I would rather give my gratitude to Sam and co. because in my eyes they're really the ones responsible for it all.

It was obvious where he would go when we sacked him really. It's also obvious some of the things he would say in the press conference but when it all comes together, in my mind it doesn't paint a pretty picture for Mac and his involvement in the last 3rd of our season.

Call it sour grapes if you will but I don't wish him well in his new job.

You're a player who just got offered to play in the premership but got told by your boss there is a plan to get there and we have to stick together.

You buy into that promise as a lot of your team mates have done the same you sign a 5 year contract in belief you can get there.

4-5 months later the boss who told you about this vision and plan to stick together turns his head at the 1st moment he gets and talks about loyalty? I'd underperform and feel let down as well! Yes I know they earn x amount of thousands but they are human.

I know he lost a lot of the dressing room as a few players have been honest one to one off the record. Like others have said I'm glad he put my loved back into D.C.F.C. but also glad he's gone. No 1's bigger then the club. With Clement I'm confident again and the way he speaks etc is good he actually has tatical know how from the looks of things.

I would say that by the 0-3 Reading defeat our players had downed tools for him totally. 

Bye Steve... Personally I would have fired you earlier. 

I don't care what he does in his career from now on. He has left Derby and it's done and dusted to me. Sure..played some nice football. The trashing of Forest will live long in the memory. But it felt sour in the end. Best to part company. 

They will do ok for at least part of next season but I don't think he has any staying power and it will end badly.  Having said that it would have to be a brilliant NUFC manager for it not to end badly I suppose given the expectations.

​Then I would suggest you are very young and have yet to see DCFC really struggle. 

To say that watching DCFC pre McClaren was a chore suggests to me that you are a fair weather fan. 

Nothing wrong with that. 

​Well I'm far from young and I'm currently on my 33rd consecutive year of having a season ticket so hardly a fair weather fan either, but I found the football towards the end of Clough's reign to be dull in the extreme and was turning up at the games due to a feeling of duty to my team rather than to be entertained - it was a chore and that feeling disappeared almost overnight when Mac arrived. I will always be grateful to Clough for the job he did in helping the club to get back on a solid footing, but Rush was right to make the change when he did and as is evident from what seems to have happened with Mac, would appear to be right again - as this is DCFC, only time will tell how wrong my expectations probably are.....

​Well I'm far from young and I'm currently on my 33rd consecutive year of having a season ticket so hardly a fair weather fan either, but I found the football towards the end of Clough's reign to be dull in the extreme and was turning up at the games due to a feeling of duty to my team rather than to be entertained - it was a chore and that feeling disappeared almost overnight when Mac arrived. I will always be grateful to Clough for the job he did in helping the club to get back on a solid footing, but Rush was right to make the change when he did and as is evident from what seems to have happened with Mac, would appear to be right again - as this is DCFC, only time will tell how wrong my expectations probably are.....

​after 33 years you will be getting used to getting the expectations wrong, like all of us :)

Karma will play its part in this.

Newcastle basket case set up will be the new nottingham forest next season.  They only allowed Sky Sports, 1 newspaper and their own media team to the 'press' conference.  Reeks like Billy Davis?

Ashley has stepped down from the board (still has overall ownerage), Steve is on the board, as well as being head coach, Ashley still involved with buying and selling of players.  Looks like a perfect balance...

Karma will play its part in this.

Newcastle basket case set up will be the new nottingham forest next season.  They only allowed Sky Sports, 1 newspaper and their own media team to the 'press' conference.  Reeks like Billy Davis?

Ashley has stepped down from the board (still has overall ownerage), Steve is on the board, as well as being head coach, Ashley still involved with buying and selling of players.  Looks like a perfect balance  storm

​There you go

I may nip down the bookies later and see what odds I can get on playing them in the 4th round of the league cup.  You just know it's gonna happen.

Glad to see the brainwashed among us have finally realised how he f**ked things up entirely from Feb onwards and not hiding behind the injuries excuse.  I'm thankful for the 12 months of great football he gave us, but from now on he's nothing but an odius little n0bjockey, and I hope the Geordies go down...

Archived