McClaren and Newcastle...fact

leemark

...in you opinion.

And that's great, that's what the forum is for. I personally believe he is a slippery piece of work and if he told me tomorrow was Friday, I'd go and check.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's what I feel. Are we to stop posting what we feel in case somebody disagrees with our post and rips us to shreds ? Or worse....ridicules our theories/ thoughts on any subject ?

Sorry me 'owd, I like your posts and I'll continue to enjoy them but one shouldn't try to come over all ITK on stuff because it differs from your take on it. :) 

​That isnt in his opinion.

The first half of the post is as close to fact as we're ever going to get (confirmed or reported from the club in other words).

Fans have chosen to read the situation as him being disloyal and snakey, which is fair enough, I understand their point of view, but a lot of it is completely unsubstantiated. Those people are making a lot of assumptions with little evidence to back it up.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it’s worth, I was in Newcastle yesterday and the cabbie that drove me back to the station was adamant that he knew a bloke who worked at the club and he assures him that Newcastle contributed a healthy slice towards McClaren’s compensation

1)      He’s a Geordie cabbie.

2)      Why would they do that?

But then 3) what a weird rumour to come out of Newcastle if there isn’t some truth to it. They would surely want to be seen to be doing no such thing

Just sayin what I heard (from a cab driver) - don't shoot me

not read all the thread but SM has as good as said in the DET that there was an opportunity to go in Jan but the timing wasn't right. Just after the quote about being at Twente and not going because Newcastle got relegated - and throwing in the loyalty line afterwards.

to me it reads he always wanted the Newcastle job but only on the Prem, and if Newcastle had been comfortable in Jan he'd have gone

​Naive about what? There's too many contradictions in the 'made up' version for me.

Why would we pay someone off who has a 'verbal agreement' to go somewhere else. That's the one that genuinely baffles me. 

If the move to Newcastle was always going to happen, due to this 'verbal agreement' then we should have stuck with McClaren until it came into fruition. 

My own conspiracy theory: 

Newcastle came in for McClaren, as said, but he didn't want to go without a promotion on his CV. At this point everything is hunky dory.

Newspaper speculation lingers on for much longer than worth it. He's constantly asked. He constantly says he's got a job to do here - nothing more, nothing less. 

Fans, who were in truly spectacularly c**tish fashion last season, expect him to do some sort of 'I'm not going ******* anywhere' speech and then the relationship between some fans and manager strain.

Pressure increases and injuries increase, we just lack the balance and resilience as a side to win matches and we generally look poor. Fans actually believe that somehow a few newspaper clippings can affect players and relationship strains between fans and McClaren even more.

We miss out on the play-offs in emphatic fashion and Morris, who is a fan and will have been frustrated by that, looks to replacements. I think he liked the look of Clement and decided fairly early on he wanted a change.

When McClaren turned down Newcastle for the second time, following the season ending, Morris had expected him to take the job. When he didn't, I just think he had his heart set on change and gave him the boot.

I believe he was paid off as he genuinely wasn't wanted here. I also think he had the full support of Sam Rush, who I expect like Forsyth, Bent...etc is sad to see him leave.

​How about a different hypothesis, below is my hypothetical take on what may have happened. Keep in mind this is just hypotheticals and speculation, and should be seen more as fanfiction than a claim of what may or may not have happened, and could probably be released as fan fiction under the name, 50 Shades of Brollies:

McClaren was sounded out back in January. He understandably didn't want to take over Newcastle in the mess they were in, and saw staying with us until the end of the season, in the form we were in with promotion a very real possibility for his CV, as the safer choice for the time being, and understandably the best move for his career at the time. 

At this point Newcastle took a wait and see approach, McClaren kept on his merry way as our manager, and everything kept going as it should. For a time at least. Maybe McClaren didn't completely knock back Newcastle, maybe the board there thought they were in with a chance of it, and maybe McClaren didn't fully rule it out himself, instead asking them to wait until the end of the season, and they'd talk then. Completely understandable, as stated above, from a career perspective, and it gives a feel good factor around him too if he's seen to "remain loyal". 

Of course, what was to follow was the loss of key players to injuries, and the form started to drop. With this, a tough run of games coming up, and the media sniffing the proverbial blood on the water speculation starts to mount. An air of tension builds around the club. Maybe it built both in the stands and in the dressing room. McClaren not completely ruling out the Newcastle job certainly didn't help. With the wheels starting to fall off though, and tension about his future building, problems began to snowball, and he may well have lost the dressing room at some point, who knows. In any case, it's at this point that things truly start falling apart. 

So we get into the final stages of the season, we've gone from promotion favourites to hanging onto the playoffs for dear life, despite having not been out of the top 6 since September. Speculation is still mounting, people are talking, some are even saying that the deal is good as done, some even saying it's already done. The sense of loyalty and commitment about the club is gone, the players aren't sure what's to follow. The momentum's gone, the confidence is gone, and it seems very plausible that their manager may well be too. The wheels are off and the side come crashing down to 8th. A record points total for 8th, but 8th none the less. 

Now, the season is over, Newcastle are in dire straits and still see McClaren as their next man in. With our season over, they may well assume that McClaren might want to take up the role now. But of course, that doesn't fit motives for not taking it originally as speculated above. If he didn't want the Newcastle job because he didn't want to trade a potential promotion on his CV for a potential relegation, now with Newcastle in very real trouble was surely not the time to take over. So very much to lose, so very little to gain in terms of his career. From here, considering the above hypotheticals, he would be fully expected to turn Newcastle down again. If he wants the job, he wants it after the season is over. 

Now, enter the hypothetical Derby boardroom. They have proven themselves to be astute, they have proven themselves to be decisive, and after that collapse they certainly don't want to let that slip. They've got their own shortlist, and have in fact sounded out their own candidate to replace Steve when he potentially goes. There's only one problem, Newcastle aren't going to want to pay compensation if he's not coming immediately, and McClaren, as speculated above, isn't going to go down that route for obvious reasons. The board are as such left in a bit of a bind. They don't want McClaren lingering for months, waiting for the right time, Newcastle are clever, and they're patient, and may well force us to reduce compensation by dragging this on, at a great detriment to preparations for next season. Clement, and other possible targets may well be quite in demand, and the board need to act quickly, even if an agreement in principle has been reached, as to give them job security for next season too. 

The situation is hard for Derby board now. McClaren is of proven quality and in demand, but of unknown loyalty to the cause. If he is off to Newcastle, it's better it happens immediately, if it drags on it could prevent them from getting their first choice replacement in, and could slow down preparations for 2015-16. On the other hand any change could end badly for the side, and ideally McClaren would remain, and would lead us in his third season with the club. They hold a meeting with the head coach to ascertain his loyalty, and whatever was said, ultimately ended with the decision being made for him to leave the club. Who knows what the terms of him leaving would end up being, but the important point for the board was decisive action based on the evidence at hand, and to bring in this first choice candidate sooner, rather than later, to make sure the club were not late off the starting block for next season. 

I don't know, just trashy football fanfiction...

I can't agree with this, are you saying they didn't care about getting into the play offs?

Lets not forget these players had forfeited their match day bonus payments for an improved promotion based scheme.  Most professional players on driven by money, not loyalty to a manager or club.  Imo they didn't stop playing for the manager, they just stopped playing, probably down to it suddenly dawning on them that they were in last chance saloon, and the pressure got to them.

SM made mistakes in them months, maybe he took his eye off the ball, so to speak, but the players should and were good enough to get into the play offs as a minimum, the effort was there, just not the end product.

Yes Leeds... That's what Im saying. 

Of course you are right, players " should" get on with the job no matter what..but they don't. 

Plenty of people get hacked off at work with their boss and start doing less or get negative towards what they are supposed to be doing. Just because it's football doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

These players don't care for the club like we do. 

And yours and my version of " effort" must differ vastly if what you saw v Reading last game was suitable to you. 

Lingard linked with a loan move to Newcastle - now that would be odd. 

He barely got a start/much of a game here, so I don't see why Mac would go back in for him. 

Because Lingard is a player of the quality that Ashley deserves. :p

Archived