SIGNED: Andreas Weimann

Ambitious

Andreas Weimann signing prediction  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa fans don't seem too bothered on Twitter. Some astounded they'd get £2mil for him. One guy says if Weimann is worth £2mil then Heskey is worth £70m

​They've seen him a lot more than any of us have, but it's incredibly difficult to judge attackers and wingers in the Premier League and judge how they would do in a new team in the Championship.

He's performed better than Ince in the Premier League, for example. I've always liked the look of Weimann whenever I've seen him. He's quick, tenacious, hard working and gets the odd goal.

I don't get the 'he's not a winger' comment, though. I'd say he's in the similar mould to Russell and Ward. I guess they aren't really RM, LMs but RW, LW is fine. 

From what I've seen of him he's a Jamie Mackie type player. Works his socks off but lacks quality, at least he did in the prem - in the champ it could be a different story.

Hi, Villa fan here. I'd say this is spot on and an apt example. 

There were high hopes surrounding Weimann when he broke through under McLeish and then the following season when he did quite well and ended the season with double-figures. With hindsight, he (and Agbonlahor) were made to look better than they were by Benteke, who created huge amounts of space by often occupying two centre-backs. However, it's all gone downhill since and quite frankly, he has been nothing short of horrendous for the past two seasons.

We've come to realise that Weimann has next to no technical ability or intelligence in possession. Nearly all attacks break down with him and his final ball is embarrassing at times. He also has a tendency to go missing, so much so that you only remember he is on the pitch around the hour mark. 

It's true that he is not a natural wide player but the problem is that he doesn't really boast the attributes to fare much better in any other position, at the moment anyway. His finishing ability used to be his greatest strength in the reserve team and during his breakthrough twelve months - Bent himself once descibed him as the most natural finisher he had trained with! However, he just seemed to abandon him and now he is completely hopeless in that department - as in row z from ten yards out hopeless. Maybe it can be put down to confidence but then he should've recomposed himself at some point in two years. The previous manager had a lot of faith in him too, he was basically a guaranteed starter regardless of form (annoyingly). 

On to his strengths and as eluded to, it is mainly his workrate, energy and pitch coverage. One thing I cannot fault him for is effort, he gives his all for pretty much every game. Tactically his defensive contribution can be useful for certain games. He does pick up decent positions off the ball at times as well. Despite all I've said, I do think he'll do well in the rough and tumble of the Championship. Should be a decent signing for you guys. He's just not Premier League quality ultimately. 

Anyway, that was my two pennies' worth. If you have any questions or require further clarification on anything, feel free to ask. 

Hi, Villa fan here. I'd say this is spot on and an apt example. 

There were high hopes surrounding Weimann when he broke through under McLeish and then the following season when he did quite well and ended the season with double-figures. With hindsight, he (and Agbonlahor) were made to look better than they were by Benteke, who created huge amounts of space by often occupying two centre-backs. However, it's all gone downhill since and quite frankly, he has been nothing short of horrendous for the past two seasons.

We've come to realise that Weimann has next to no technical ability or intelligence in possession. Nearly all attacks break down with him and his final ball is embarrassing at times. He also has a tendency to go missing, so much so that you only remember he is on the pitch around the hour mark. 

It's true that he is not a natural wide player but the problem is that he doesn't really boast the attributes to fare much better in any other position, at the moment anyway. His finishing ability used to be his greatest strength in the reserve team and during his breakthrough twelve months - Bent himself once descibed him as the most natural finisher he had trained with! However, he just seemed to abandon him and now he is completely hopeless in that department - as in row z from ten yards out hopeless. Maybe it can be put down to confidence but then he should've recomposed himself at some point in two years. The previous manager had a lot of faith in him too, he was basically a guaranteed starter regardless of form (annoyingly). 

On to his strengths and as eluded to, it is mainly his workrate, energy and pitch coverage. One thing I cannot fault him for is effort, he gives his all for pretty much every game. Tactically his defensive contribution can be useful for certain games. He does pick up decent positions off the ball at times as well. Despite all I've said, I do think he'll do well in the rough and tumble of the Championship. Should be a decent signing for you guys. He's just not Premier League quality ultimately. 

Anyway, that was my two pennies' worth. If you have any questions or require further clarification on anything, feel free to ask. 

Negatives - Sounds hopeless going forward

Positives - Could walk into our side as a full back  :ph34r:

Villa fans say he is very hardworking and he is a striker. Since moved out wide he's been awful. They also say he lacks real talent but puts in a shift.

sounds awfully like Conor Sammon to me. Worse actually; he won't play striker so be playing in a position he struggles in

not at all pleased with this

Players don't always perform for teams not suited to their style. We play nothing like Villa, and they spent the majority of their matches on the back-foot whereas we don't.

I assume we've pinpointed him because he fits our system, our style of play. Maybe we can get the best out of him whereas Villa couldn't, afterall it's not the first time we've grabbed a player who's failed elsewhere.

Martin, Thorne, Forsyth, Ward in years gone by were all deemed surplus to requirements elsewhere and have gone on to perfrom much better at Derby. 

Thorne wasn't surplus to requirements elsewhere

Where would he fit into team? 2mn a lot  to pay for a 3rd choice striker who sounds no better than Thomas 

Thorne is a fantastic DM in a three-man midfield. WBA play ywo in the middle.

Do you think if WBA played a three-man midfield they would have got rid of arguably the best DM outside the Premier League for so cheap?

They sold because he was surplus to requirements, they had no position for him. That's the thing when a club has a system, regardless of how good a player is if he doesn't fit he's sold.

Where would Weimann fit in the team? He's predominantly a wide-forward, so naturally in one of our wide forward roles where we're looking extremely thin on numbers.

$2m is not a lot of money for an important cog in a promotion-winning team. He might not be a star player, but we're allegedly interested because he fits our style perfectly.

I'd rather spent $2m on him than $2m on Bent who clearly doesn't fit our system.

Thorne wasn't surplus to requirements elsewhere

Where would he fit into team? 2mn a lot  to pay for a 3rd choice striker who sounds no better than Thomas 

Get real, Thomas is miles off our first team, this guy has at least proven himself in spells in the Premier league

Hendrick is probably our most underrated player. I Can't see how anyone values Weimann more than him? He's hard working but if our ambition is to be in the premiership then what's the point in buying a player who is subpar and might be good in this league, whereas Hendrick has lots of ability, talent and potential to be a top player in the prem. Without Hendrick then assuming we don't sell Hughes then the only other attacking midfielder we'll have will be fooking Bryson.

​Couldn't disagree more. Hendrick is our most overrated player and easily so. Top prem player? Don't know what causes this, maybe him coming through academy? Yes, he can be excellent. Has been about five times in his 160 games for us.

If we get Weimann to replace (and upgrade) Ward and money to replace Hendrick, that would be among the best deals we have made.

On villa forum they say he is  central striker. He struggles as a wide player. Can't see him getting in ahead of Martin or Bent.

We have no idea what system(s) Clement will play. So can't say Bent won't fit in. He scored a load of goals last season and I would be delighted if Bent re-signed.

I would like us to sign Barton. Think we need someone to cover for Thorne absences (or rotate as i worry about Thorne regularly playing twice a week and breaking down)

Don't get the hype about Hendrick, and certainly don't think he is underrated. 

I have said many times that for a man of his size, he is bundled off the ball far too often. His body isn't in balance, and that makes him far too top heavy. I would suggest that even though Hughes is far smaller, he is in proportion and is probably harder to shoulder off the ball fairly. 

Scores the odd screamer, but so did Jordan Stewart. Goes missing in games and doesn't seem to have the discipline  to stay in position when asked to play the holding role. 

If we get a decent offer, I would gratefully accept it. 

On villa forum they say he is  central striker. He struggles as a wide player. Can't see him getting in ahead of Martin or Bent.

We have no idea what system(s) Clement will play. So can't say Bent won't fit in. He scored a load of goals last season and I would be delighted if Bent re-signed.

I would like us to sign Barton. Think we need someone to cover for Thorne absences (or rotate as i worry about Thorne regularly playing twice a week and breaking down)

We don't really play outright wingers though, like a 442 villa side. More like right and left forwards

If Bryson can reproduce his 2013/14 season, it'd be like the best new signing ever, ifs and buts though

​We desperately missed midfielders running past Martin and bursting into the box. Bryson in the season before last was a master at it. I have read he was told to hold his position more this last season and that, coupled with injuries, did for his season.

If PC gives him that attacking role again I for one am all for it.

He also has a tendency to go missing, so much so that you only remember he is on the pitch around the hour mark. 

On to his strengths and as eluded to, it is mainly his workrate, energy and pitch coverage. One thing I cannot fault him for is effort, he gives his all for pretty much every game.

​This confuses me. 

​We desperately missed midfielders running past Martin and bursting into the box. Bryson in the season before last was a master at it. I have read he was told to hold his position more this last season and that, coupled with injuries, did for his season.

If PC gives him that attacking role again I for one am all for it.

​I agree. 

It's all about timing, and I honestly don't think you can teach that. Lampard was the absolute king of it. Never had pace, never had buckets of strength, but his ability to arrive at the edge of the box at the exact millisecond was uncanny. 

I'd like to see more of that in Hughes game too. 

Archived