Thank you Steve McClaren

-JW-

He ruined our season, so for me it's good riddance.

No plan B in the championship is very poor management.

He ruined the season he made possible. 

How did Nigel's plan A-Z work out because we went through systems under him like it was a race. 

54% win ratio. This season's points tally would have got us in the play offs in any season but this one. He's probably the second best manager we've had in 20 years. That's if the best is Billy Davies. 

I like very poor management. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​He inherited a good team that was made slightly better. Some of his signings were dreadful. 

Bloody hell... If some of his signings were dreadful I wonder if you accidentally blacked out for the previous 7/8 seasons

Bloody hell... If some of his signings were dreadful I wonder if you accidentally blacked out for the previous 7/8 seasons

shocking isn't it. 

How come this good team never got near the top 6 before? How come they could only dream of a goal difference and points tally that we had? 

I think it's extremely harsh to get the boot after finishing 3rd and 8th in his two seasons. The dreadful run in meant there were a number of questions to answer next season, but I thought McClaren would get the chance to put things right.

I am genuinely surprised that this looks likely to happen. I thought we might lose McClaren through him taking a Premiership job, but I didn't see this coming.

Just to think two years ago, people were happy with a + GD

2 years ago we lost more games than we won. And 3 years ago. And 4... etc etc. 

Statistically Mac's Derby has pretty much destroyed any other Derby in the last 20 years. 

But then, I suppose he achieved that by playing Mick Mccarthy style hoofball? 

On the face of it, McClaren's sacking is one of the most ill judged I can remember. 

However, it's clearly not as straight forward as missing out on the playoffs and being given the boot. 

85 and 77 points are great returns and while the second proved to only be good enough for 8th, it doesn't warrant a sacking. We don't know the ins and outs to the McClaren and Newcastle stuff but I fear that it's rubbed someone up the wrong way. Someone willing to pay big in order to get rid of that rub, too. 

I will wish him all the best and hope he understands that 80% of Derby fans wouldn't have even contemplated this. He will go on and do well, undoubtedly. 

Its very regrettable but a totally self-inflicted wound.

how many times did he have the chance to kill it dead? 

Management is about so much more than just coaching, and losing has a very destructive effect.

shocking isn't it. 

How come this good team never got near the top 6 before? How come they could only dream of a goal difference and points tally that we had? 

Tell me about it.... On a different blooming planet...

Short memories....

None of us really knows what has been going on behind the scenes.

New loan signings came in at the end of last season, plus a foreign import. Prior to that the team had been quite settled. All of a sudden we were shipping goals with a side geared towards goalscorers rather than team players.

It's pretty hard for a manager who has been close but not achieved success like McClaren. 

A new Chairman comes in and it might be him that doubts our future under Steve. A bit like Strauss and Moores in the cricket.

I don't think Sam Rush would take this decision lightly.I also suspect McClaren is a proud man who won't go quietly.

Let's let them sort the situation out, welcome Clement in and get back to wondering which Galactico is coming in the close season.

Just hope Paul Clement turns out to be the great coach of unquestioning loyalty to the club, with a long list of loan signings ready to join as soon as player is injured (still can't believe McClaren didn't try to sign Lambert and Adevayor!! When he KNEW Bent was going to be injured!), of faultless tactical ability and the magic cure to a squad decimated by injury that we all expected McClaren to be.

Hands down the best manager we've had in my living memory - by pretty much any way you'd want to measure it. Sadly, a two-month disaster period seems to have completely skewed the view of most fans who seem to forget that without him, we probably wouldn't have got this outrageous sense of entitlement and expectation which seems to govern our behaviour lately. The sad part for me is that Steve will never have a chance to put it right. He'll be remembered for the playoff final in 2014 and the last two months of this seasons, but for me he'll always be associated with my happiest memories as a Derby fan.

if he goes.....

​I'm missing summat here.

What's it got to do with us fans?

There never was any serious criticism from Derby supporters (other than the odd moan or groan about individual player errors and maybe the odd selection/tactical decision, that happens everywhere, all the time).

I don't personally know of any who would have called for his head on the basis of a poor finish and missing out on the play offs, indeed, i would say its the opposite, nearly all of us wanted him to do his 2 years, get us promoted, then sign a new contract to embed us in the top flight.

All of this has come from Steve and the club - no fans are demanding him to be sacked, this is not a populist campaign against a manager.

The meeting yesterday wasn't called because there is a mob gathering outside the Ground threatening to lynch Sam Rush if he doesn't sack Steve........

No, whatever is going on, whatever sequence of events led to this farce, it is NOT down to us fans in any shape or form.

Glad if he stays, don't mind if he goes. I'm so sure he ****** our season up with regards to the Newcastle etc.

No ones bigger then the club like Brett W says he isn't the only manager in the world.

To be fair to Steve he literally brought the feel good factor it's the 1st time in a long time I felt everyone from the club to the fans wanted the same thing. Everything was getting done to achive this all the right noises etc.I'm glad we still have Rush he's the key at the moment.

Can't be true mostyn said he would be in charge next season ?

he was clueless and can assure you any new manager will come in buy defenders and promotion will be guaranteed 

​you're a saddo mate. Potentially massive time like this, and you're worried about what you think I once said, which I never actually said!

You say McClaren is clueless, yet he's provided our 3rd and 5th best season in the past 15 years, and 1st & 2nd best seasons in the past 8 seasons.

Anyone who thinks McClaren is a failure is clueless! He may not be an overwhelming success, but he's certainly no failure.

I know many people that had literally given up supporting Derby before McClaren turned up, that are now in love with Derby County again. 

​you're a saddo mate. Potentially massive time like this, and you're worried about what you think I once said, which I never actually said!

You say McClaren is clueless, yet he's provided our 3rd and 5th best season in the past 15 years, and 1st & 2nd best seasons in the past 8 seasons.

Anyone who thinks McClaren is a failure is clueless! He may not be an overwhelming success, but he's certainly no failure.

I know many people that had literally given up supporting Derby before McClaren turned up, that are now in love with Derby County again. 

Totally agree... The last paragraph especially. Rings true with a lot of people I know.

Got to agree with you Mostyn there. The gates were low the feeling around the place was awful. Old people and young people all flooding back.

Helped with the club and the management team all saying the right things and delivering on there promises.

You won't be saying that a year from now when Rams in premiership 

but defenders who can defend and win the league easily 

​I wont be saying what in year?????????????????????

Please make sense when you feel the need to quote !

He's achieved nothing , as the special one would say he's been a success at being a failure , if your happy with last season your even sillier than I thought 

He's achieved nothing , as the special one would say he's been a success at being a failure

​Does that include Bryson? :) (I'm not counting Scottish 1st Division Runner up as success)

Archived