Thank you Steve McClaren

-JW-

He's achieved nothing , as the special one would say he's been a success at being a failure , if your happy with last season your even sillier than I thought 

​what the hell are you babbling on about? Who cares what Mourinho once said about Wenger. We are not Arsenal. Before McClaren, we were the Championship equivalent of Sunderland, the last 2 seasons we have been equivalent of Southampton.

That may not be an achievement for you, I don't know your experiences as a Derby fan, I don't even know if you ARE a Derby fan ffs!

But as I say, the 2 best seasons in the last 8 were last season and this just gone!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost as if people haven't been supporting Derby for years. Achieved nothing? 

Where have some of you been? Seriously. Cus I was getting bored out my tree of thinking a draw away from home was a great result. I was bored of losing more than we won. I was bored. The atmosphere was rubbish. The numbers were dropping. Our seasons were over by February and all too often it became rigid 442 hoofball. 

Amongst all that we played one season of good percentage football where we were promoted after being beaten up at Wembley. We got humiliated and totally destroyed in the PL when everyone was laughing at us. 

So where have you been? Because if this is failing then what's success again? 

We're Derby. Get real. We will NEVER win the biggest trophies in football. We're highly unlikely to win the FA Cup or even League Cup anytime soon. We have spent less time in the Premier League than Wigan and Fulham. Swansea and Stoke have played in Europe while we were getting 55 points in the Championship. 

Where have you been? Did you just join us when we beat Forest 5-0? 

Where was you when 600 people were going to Coventry expecting defeat? 

Achieved nothing? No. Not unless you count a small thing like reminding everyone we exist!!!

It's almost as if people haven't been supporting Derby for years. Achieved nothing? 

Where have some of you been? Seriously. Cus I was getting bored out my tree of thinking a draw away from home was a great result. I was bored of losing more than we won. I was bored. The atmosphere was rubbish. The numbers were dropping. Our seasons were over by February and all too often it became rigid 442 hoofball. 

Amongst all that we played one season of good percentage football where we were promoted after being beaten up at Wembley. We got humiliated and totally destroyed in the PL when everyone was laughing at us. 

We're Derby. Get real. We will NEVER win the biggest trophies in football. We're highly unlikely to win the FA Cup or even League Cup anytime soon. We have spent less time in the Premier League than Wigan and Fulham. Swansea and Stoke have played in Europe while we were getting 55 points in the Championship. 

Achieved nothing? No. Not unless you count a small thing like reminding everyone we exist!!!

​You make it sound like we're getting Clough back. Hardly the case.

Last season was not enjoyable at any point for me. The football wasn't the same as 13/14, the style was gone, the passion was gone. The players looked like they'd never said two words to each other before. They were leggy and fatigued and they couldn't go two minutes without breaking down because they were absolutely shattered after a horrendous preseason schedule and constant overworking.

We won some games, more than we did under Clough. But we did it through luck quite frankly quite often. We finished 8th but it could have been much worse. I just want, much like you often say you do, to see enjoyable football at Derby, regardless of whether we go up or not. We had a taste of it in McClaren's first season. This season he took his eye off the ball and allowed Newcastle to openly court him for the second half of the season. He overworked our players. He gave them a million instructions and then wondered why they were making errors. He failed to deal with the pressure placed upon them like a good man manager should. He started slowly implementing "don't concede" style football. He panicked and got them hoofing on some occasions.

Put it this way, I'd rather be where we are now, in 8th place having played slightly better football, than being Boro in the playoff final having bored us all to death. McClaren abandoned everything that got us to where we were. Forget the players bottling it, HE bottled it this season.

​You make it sound like we're getting Clough back. Hardly the case.

Last season was not enjoyable at any point for me. The football wasn't the same as 13/14, the style was gone, the passion was gone. The players looked like they'd never said two words to each other before. They were leggy and fatigued and they couldn't go two minutes without breaking down because they were absolutely shattered after a horrendous preseason schedule and constant overworking.

We won some games, more than we did under Clough. But we did it through luck quite frankly quite often. We finished 8th but it could have been much worse. I just want, much like you often say you do, to see enjoyable football at Derby, regardless of whether we go up or not. We had a taste of it in McClaren's first season. This season he took his eye off the ball and allowed Newcastle to openly court him for the second half of the season. He overworked our players. He gave them a million instructions and then wondered why they were making errors. He failed to deal with the pressure placed upon them like a good man manager should. He started slowly implementing "don't concede" style football. He panicked and got them hoofing on some occasions.

Put it this way, I'd rather be where we are now, in 8th place having played slightly better football, than being Boro in the playoff final having bored us all to death. McClaren abandoned everything that got us to where we were. Forget the players bottling it, HE bottled it this season.

​you make it sound like we were in the bottom six all season! We weren't. In fact we were in the top six from virtually when the table was worth looking at until AFTER the 46th game!!

I think it's quite simple, we were a real leader in central defence and a good left back away from success. 

We still attacked well, we just stopped covering the frailties of a weak-minded defence.

I think some people are guilty of exaggerating the 'problems' of last season. You're one.

​Mate. Somedays I love you.

​what the hell are you babbling on about? Who cares what Mourinho once said about Wenger. We are not Arsenal. Before McClaren, we were the Championship equivalent of Sunderland, the last 2 seasons we have been equivalent of Southampton.

That may not be an achievement for you, I don't know your experiences as a Derby fan, I don't even know if you ARE a Derby fan ffs!

But as I say, the 2 best seasons in the last 8 were last season and this just gone!

​He isn't a Derby fan - he's quite obviously related or at least very close (I'm going to guess younger brother or cousin) to Craig Bryson, and he will support him through thick and thin. That much is obvious from his #ITK posts a day or two before Craig joined Derby. I don't blame him for that - I used to think that my cousin was the greatest footballer in the world and was certain to go on to captain Derby County. Then the Rams bought Roy McFarland and a year or two later he was out of the club without ever having played for the first team, and very shortly after that he retired from professional football.

​you're a saddo mate. Potentially massive time like this, and you're worried about what you think I once said, which I never actually said!

You say McClaren is clueless, yet he's provided our 3rd and 5th best season in the past 15 years, and 1st & 2nd best seasons in the past 8 seasons.

Anyone who thinks McClaren is a failure is clueless! He may not be an overwhelming success, but he's certainly no failure.

I know many people that had literally given up supporting Derby before McClaren turned up, that are now in love with Derby County again. 

​The gates dropped to the 23k mark. Roughly where we was prior to promotion in 2007.

When you say people had "given" up on supporting Derby County, what you mean is they stopped coming because we weren't doing too well. 

Chance of promotion or Premiership? Derby is easily a 30k club.

Mid table championship? 23k

I'm afraid this is what happens to most football clubs pro rata.

​you're a saddo mate. Potentially massive time like this, and you're worried about what you think I once said, which I never actually said!

You say McClaren is clueless, yet he's provided our 3rd and 5th best season in the past 15 years, and 1st & 2nd best seasons in the past 8 seasons.

Anyone who thinks McClaren is a failure is clueless! He may not be an overwhelming success, but he's certainly no failure.

I know many people that had literally given up supporting Derby before McClaren turned up, that are now in love with Derby County again. 

There's one over here :)

although my rekindled love has been sorely tested by our idiotic 80% of fans over the last couple of months.

The press circus surrounding football isn't helping my mood either, it almost makes you long for those mediocre days again when nobody was interested in us.

You didn't enjoy Huddersfield? Are you kidding?

despite the losses, Wolves, Leeds, Boro, Fulham, I've still watched us win more away games this season than the last 10 years put together, and enjoyed it far more.

If you go to away games regularly, you should expect a few losses/poor displays.

​The gates dropped to the 23k mark. Roughly where we was prior to promotion in 2007.

When you say people had "given" up on supporting Derby County, what you mean is they stopped coming because we weren't doing too well. 

Chance of promotion or Premiership? Derby is easily a 30k club.

Mid table championship? 23k

I'm afraid this is what happens to most football clubs pro rata.

​nope, I don't. I know what I meant, and I meant what I wrote. I'm talking genuinely bemused and uninspired by what was and wasn't happening.

I lost a bit of enthusiasm this season after Fulham away, Brighton, wolves, Huddersfield millwall etc.

Me too. But I wasn't in autopilot like a lot of us have been for a lot of previous years. 

It's always the worst to finish the season on a bad run. Norwich were poor at the start but are finishing on a buzz. Wolves were poor when Dicko was injured but they won't remember that. They'll be thinking how they only just missed out and next season they'll fancy themselves. 

We are really forgetting what a good season we had here. 

It wasn't as great as the season before. But that football was bordering on modern legend because the years around it have been terrible.  

Last season was good. It just wasn't amazing like the one before. It'd have been nice to have Grant, Thorne, Hughes, Russell and Martin start one game. They were brilliant together. We were spoilt in Mac's first season.

Thank you McClaren for that second leg play off game against Brighton.

In a game of that importance to put on the performance we did. Incredible.

One brilliant and one good season. Should be rightly remembered as our best manager since Jim Smith.

You didn't enjoy Huddersfield? Are you kidding?

despite the losses, Wolves, Leeds, Boro, Fulham, I've still watched us win more away games this season than the last 10 years put together, and enjoyed it far more.

If you go to away games regularly, you should expect a few losses/poor displays.

​Huddersfield was an absolutely amazing game.

I hated it.

Nearly a year ago he stood on the Wembley pitch with the rest of our players applauding QPR players. He said he wanted the players to feel what humility was like. Twelve months on I do feel sorry for someone who spoke what he saw very eloquently. He has had some bad luck with injuries; made some questionable team decisions but I feel still could take us into the Promised Land. Thanks Steeeeeve for making DCFC a team who is being talked about when it comes to promotion. If it is Newcastle, or indeed West Ham I thank you for the last 18 months. However we need to look to the future. Try to keep as many of our players as possible and add some steel in defence. I love this club with a passion. DCFC will be talked about in the future as a PREMIERSHIP CLUB. Next season is OURS. Embrace it because it is going to happen. The king is dead. Long live the king!

Damnation.  Sorry Rob, I should have checked.  Max Lowe's been called up for the England under 18's, Jamie Hanson for the England under 20's and the Rams Lotto's worth £10m this weekend.

Other than THOSE things, nothing's actually happened

Enjoy your bank holiday

Damnation.  Sorry Rob, I should have checked.  Max Lowe's been called up for the England under 18's, Jamie Hanson for the England under 20's and the Rams Lotto's worth £10m this weekend.

Other than THOSE things, nothing's actually happened

Enjoy your bank holiday

Don't forget Hughsey made the squad for the England U-21 tournament.

Archived