Thank you Steve McClaren

-JW-

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too. But I wasn't in autopilot like a lot of us have been for a lot of previous years. 

It's always the worst to finish the season on a bad run. Norwich were poor at the start but are finishing on a buzz. Wolves were poor when Dicko was injured but they won't remember that. They'll be thinking how they only just missed out and next season they'll fancy themselves. 

We are really forgetting what a good season we had here. 

It wasn't as great as the season before. But that football was bordering on modern legend because the years around it have been terrible.  

Last season was good. It just wasn't amazing like the one before. It'd have been nice to have Grant, Thorne, Hughes, Russell and Martin start one game. They were brilliant together. We were spoilt in Mac's first season.

Yeah good points but the thing that's done it for me was he skirted around the questions when asked about the Newcastle speculation. Then after the last game of the season he declared his 100% commitment to Derby. Three months too late in my book.

There's one over here :)

although my rekindled love has been sorely tested by our idiotic 80% of fans over the last couple of months.

The press circus surrounding football isn't helping my mood either, it almost makes you long for those mediocre days again when nobody was interested in us.

​I must be thick or summat curb, what have "our idiotic 80% of fans" done wrong.

In my little world it looks like 30,000 of us turned up every other week and spent a fair proportion of our time singing Stevie Mac's Barmy Army.....i really don't get that its the fans fault that Rush and McClaren have fell out.

​I must be thick or summat curb, what have "our idiotic 80% of fans" done wrong.

In my little world it looks like 30,000 of us turned up every other week and spent a fair proportion of our time singing Stevie Mac's Barmy Army.....i really don't get that its the fans fault that Rush and McClaren have fell out.

​We've had our fair share of idiots in the minority but it seems fans are finding it so easy to blame fans. I don't get it either. We're all Derby aren't we? Why is the kneejerk reaction to blame each other?

​I'm missing summat here.

What's it got to do with us fans?

There never was any serious criticism from Derby supporters (other than the odd moan or groan about individual player errors and maybe the odd selection/tactical decision, that happens everywhere, all the time).

I don't personally know of any who would have called for his head on the basis of a poor finish and missing out on the play offs, indeed, i would say its the opposite, nearly all of us wanted him to do his 2 years, get us promoted, then sign a new contract to embed us in the top flight.

All of this has come from Steve and the club - no fans are demanding him to be sacked, this is not a populist campaign against a manager.

The meeting yesterday wasn't called because there is a mob gathering outside the Ground threatening to lynch Sam Rush if he doesn't sack Steve........

No, whatever is going on, whatever sequence of events led to this farce, it is NOT down to us fans in any shape or form.

​I don't see where I suggested it was to do with us fans? The worst it's ever got is the odd phone call on Radio Derby and the odd thread on here. It's hardly the peasant's revolt. And I never said it was, and it's not down to us fans. Maybe you're getting me muddled up with some other posters because that's definitely not my view and I agree with this post here?

I just feel, very strongly, that his time here has been underrated by many and I don't think people's opinions are a fair reflection of what he's done. If he goes, it will be down to the board, not a dozen or so irritable posts on a forum. Doesn't change my point though that it's a shame Steve may not get a chance to prove some of the doubters wrong, or at least give it a go.

​I think it was mostyn who started the rumour that it was the fans fault…and then one or two posters started repeating the rumour and then…

I've seen and heard lots of moaning this season. I've often wondered if there's many people actually enjoying it. And that was when we were winning. 

​That must be Valley Ram most of the time then.

as I recently mentioned approx 3 months ago. I had my doubts that Steve would show us any more loyalty than most players and jump ship at the first opportunity to manage a so called bigger club.I did how ever expect him to do rather better with Derby than his 8th position and had some what expected us to be at least in the play offs,not that we would have been capable of beating any of the teams that finished above us with our woeful defence which has been nothing less than an embarrassment for most of this season.

I had hoped his previous history with the club as a player and working with Jim ,given the fact that we also gave him his first chance back in British management may have yielded some loyalty from him but don't believe this to have been given.Rumours for months and much speculation have been given associating Steve with the Newcastle job and despite his vast experience in the public eye ,he has shown a lack of professionalism in either.

NOT refuting these rumours and confirming his intent to stay at Derby

OR

Being very cunning ,keeping avenues open for his departure whilst in the employment of Derby County Fc.

Their is no doubt the last two seasons have been a revelation to a some what lethargic and uninspiring Derby County during the last few years.However I am sure his managing of the team with so much uncertainty during the last few months of will he stay or will he go has been detrimental towards our performances and at best has not set a good example to any of the squad.How can you expect players to commit and give 100 percent with so much uncertainty about the manager.

If Steve does go to Newcastle or now speculation of West Ham good luck to him ,I personally don't want him at the club dispite his efforts if at any given opportunity he is going to jump ship,better to go now than during the start of a new campaign.I only thought he would have had more sense than to work with Ashley ,a job few managers would take unless desperate.

Some might think he has not resigned or made a positive move to leave the club and wishes to stay 100 percent ,however his ability to show this has been lacking from a man of his experience and the fact he his now wanting a 1 million pound pay output dispite having a nother job to go too (. Suspected) shows his lack of interest in Derby County  FC.

Thanks Steve for the enjoyment during the last 2 seasons but am afraid you have left a bitter taste in the way you conducted yourself most recently.

Ram164,

''I think you have got the wrong end of the stick'' - The Sunday after the Reading game Mac he was not interested in the Toon job and still had a job to finish here, rebuilding started on the Tuesday and Rush declared '' Derby review must not be too draconian in any assessment''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32701715

Then a few weeks later Mel Morris gets involved and suddenly Mac is told to came in on Thursday night for crisis talks regarding his future, then somebody lets slip to the media what going on and the seculation starts, yet the board who wanted the crisis talks, do nothing, don't sack Mac but also don't back him either.

Completely unprofessionly for a club to do this........

Ram164,

''I think you have got the wrong end of the stick'' - The Sunday after the Reading game Mac he was not interested in the Toon job and still had a job to finish here, rebuilding started on the Tuesday and Rush declared '' Derby review must not be too draconian in any assessment''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32701715

Then a few weeks later Mel Morris gets involved and suddenly Mac is told to came in on Thursday night for crisis talks regarding his future, then somebody lets slip to the media what going on and the seculation starts, yet the board who wanted the crisis talks, do nothing, don't sack Mac but also don't back him either.

Completely unprofessionly for a club to do this........​

After the Reading game Mac obviously had support from Rush, the transfer rumours and the talk of next season obviously meant that the board were ready to give financial backing to him.

It means that something had to have happened recently, because the board seemed to have backed Mac until something happened last week, it all seems very strange. 

Archived