Future Decided

Nuwtfly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say promotion was a divine right - your words.

I said that there would be an expectation of promotion. I know (over the past 49 seasons) that expectations, hopes and aspirations are usually different to reality. I have sometimes been elated, surprised, disgusted, and all other emotions at various times, at the outcome of a season!

I helped in gathering poll opinions at the iPro this season several times on the single question: "Where do you expect Derby County to finish at the end of this season?" and the last poll was taken before kick-off on the day of that (fateful) 2-2 draw with Brum.

Over 70% of fans polled expected Derby to finish in the top two of the Championship table; out of hundreds of fans, only TWO people expected Derby to finish as low as 6th or 7th - no-one expected them to finish lower. 

I didn't say I hadn't enjoyed the season or didn't get entertained, I already gave a goal count (100) I'm sure most feel we did, just as most were totally aghast at full-time last Saturday.

It's clear to me that some players just aren't good enough - and as club and coach stridently declare that promotion is the aim, here's to a squad that's up to the job next season :rolleyes:

I didn't say promotion was a divine right - your words.

I said that there would be an expectation of promotion. I know (over the past 49 seasons) that expectations, hopes and aspirations are usually different to reality. I have sometimes been elated, surprised, disgusted, and all other emotions at various times, at the outcome of a season!

I helped in gathering poll opinions at the iPro this season several times on the single question: "Where do you expect Derby County to finish at the end of this season?" and the last poll was taken before kick-off on the day of that (fateful) 2-2 draw with Brum.

Over 70% of fans polled expected Derby to finish in the top two of the Championship table; out of hundreds of fans, only TWO people expected Derby to finish as low as 6th or 7th - no-one expected them to finish lower. 

I didn't say I hadn't enjoyed the season or didn't get entertained, I already gave a goal count (100) I'm sure most feel we did, just as most were totally aghast at full-time last Saturday.

It's clear to me that some players just aren't good enough - and as club and coach stridently declare that promotion is the aim, here's to a squad that's up to the job next season :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have quoted mister thebeast who I was replying to.

i agree with most of your post, apart from I don't think we were that far off, that a summer won't put right. 

No...we were only a single point off...(though I didn't give us too much chance in the play-offs!)

Lots of potential in the squad - and still lots of room for improvement :cool:

We've come a long way in the past 2 seasons even if League position this time doesn't reflect it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/football/steve-mcclaren-to-reject-newcastle-5636410?

The 54-year-old is determined to put things right at the iPro Stadium next campaign after the Rams missed out on the Championship play-offs on Saturday

Steve McClaren has reportedly given Derby County assurances that he will remain in charge of the club next season.

The former England manager has been heavily linked with the Newcastle United job in recent weeks with the club spiralling towards relegation.

However, after watching his Rams side miss out on a place in the Championship play-offs, McClaren is determined to put matters right at Derby next season.

He will now hold talks with the club's bosses to discuss pre-season plans as well as summer transfer targets.

Getty [Darren Bent has his penalty kick saved]
Blow: Derby missed out on the play-offs following their 3-0 loss to Reading on Saturday

Speculation surrounding the 54-year-old's future has stemmed from Newcastle's woeful form under caretaker manager John Carver.

The Magpies have lost eight league games on the bounce under Carver and are just two points above north-east rivals Sunderland who sit in 18th.

After receiving the news that McClaren is unwilling to move to Tyneside, Newcastle released a statement confirming Carver will remain in charge.

Reuters [Newcastle manager John Carver]
Under fire: Newcastle wanted McClaren to take over from Carver

"Following the result at Leicester City on Saturday, there has been two days of frank dialogue with John Carver and senior players," the statement said.

"The outcome of those discussions is that the board, John Carver, his staff and players are absolutely focused on our current situation and the three hugely-important fixtures that remain this season, two of which are at St James' Park.

"All parties accept responsibility for the current situation but are determined, together, to ensure this club - your club - retains its Premier League status."

Will Steve McClaren regret not taking the Newcastle job?

What happens when the next premier league team sacks their manager and everyone creates the next round of hysteria? ??

​SM might actually use his noggin and dismiss it instantly. No matter how "disrespectful" it is to say you don't want to steal someone elses job. 

Just been confirmed that MacClaren will stay at Derby next season on Radio Derby and is now looking at new players.

Forgive me if someone else has commented on this as I can't be bothered to read through every post on this subject.

i can't see anything in the reports to indicate that Steve will definitely be here next season. All that I can see, is that he's turned down/not been appointed to take over at Newcastle for the rest of the current season.

What I have found interesting is Steve's comments, that he is contracted to Derby, and that he will continue until he's told otherwise. Could this mean that negotiations are going on in the background between the 2 clubs, and Steve's future is being decided for him?

He may not have the final say.

Not sure that top quality loans is a reason to get excited. What is wrong with developing our own youngsters?

​Erm, Bent; Ince; Wisdom; Lingard.. I've been excited by them at points this season.  See it as a nice perk, rather than an all-encompassing reasoning. 

Forgive me if someone else has commented on this as I can't be bothered to read through every post on this subject.

i can't see anything in the reports to indicate that Steve will definitely be here next season. All that I can see, is that he's turned down/not been appointed to take over at Newcastle for the rest of the current season.

What I have found interesting is Steve's comments, that he is contracted to Derby, and that he will continue until he's told otherwise. Could this mean that negotiations are going on in the background between the 2 clubs, and Steve's future is being decided for him?

He may not have the final say.

​well. the very same newspapers that reported the done deal to Newcastle are now reporting that McClaren is staying to win promotion next season.

If you choose to believe one of their stories but not the other, that says more about you than Steve McClaren.

​well. the very same newspapers that reported the done deal to Newcastle are now reporting that McClaren is staying to win promotion next season.

If you choose to believe one of their stories but not the other, that says more about you than Steve McClaren.

Ease up. Who said anything about believing the stories. I'm commenting on Steve McClarens comments, that he wants to stay and get things right, is contracted to Derby, and will stay until he is told otherwise. Your welcome to interpret your way and I will speculate that it could mean something else. My remarks are not aimed at Steve McClarens integrity. On the contrary, I'm suggesting that he may be traded in a similar way as any player, and knows that nothing in this industry is ever certain.

Archived