Future Decided

Nuwtfly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"

STEVE McClaren will be head coach of Derby County next season.

McClaren has been strongly linked with a move to Newcastle United this summer but he has assured the club he is ready for a third crack at promotion with the Rams.

He watched on as Derby missed out on a place in the Championship play offs on Saturday.

Afterwards, he said his intention was to be at club next season and put things right.

Plans to do that are already under way.

There have been meetings today to discuss pre-season arrangements and transfer targets, and McClaren is due to meet the players individually tomorrow to discuss plans moving forward .

Speculation over the future of McClaren at Derby has been rife since January once the Newcastle's  interest in him surfaced.

Reports earlier today said the former England manager turned down the chance to take charge of Newcastle for the final three games of this season as they look to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

He was, according to reports, sounded out on Sunday over the prospect of answering an SOS call from the north east club as they look to halt a run of eight consecutive defeats.

McClaren, who still has two years on his contract to run, is expected to attend the club's awards dinner at the iPro Stadium tonight.

Newcastle have today announced that John Carver will remain in charge for the remaining three games.

Newcastle issued a statement to clarify the current situation.

It reads: "Following the result at Leicester City on Saturday, there has been two days of frank dialogue with John Carver and senior players.

"The outcome of those discussions is that the board, John Carver, his staff and players are absolutely focused on our current situation and the three hugely-important fixtures that remain this season, two of which are at St James' Park.

"All parties accept responsibility for the current situation but are determined, together, to ensure this club - your club - retains its Premier League status.

"That is the only focus at this time."

Said I wanted him to stay as long as all this Newcastle ******** was sorted out fast, and it has been.

I'm happy about this. 

The permanent signings NEED to be better if we want to achieve promotion though.

​Couldn't have put it better myself

It took Watford 3 tries to get promoted after their p/o final loss and  as long as I'm alive I'll back the side and I will back Steve for next season. Lets hope we can have a good transfer window and injury-free pre-season (Thorne plz)...

Why would people be unhappy with this decision? We've got one of the country's best coaches committing to us for another season and there being a good chance of another promotion push with quality players coming through the door. 

The rumours were all ********. WHAT A SURPRISE!

I expect The Sun, The Daily Mail, and the like to continue with their rubbish though until Newcastle appoint someone permanently.

If Thorne isn't a crock, and plays all/most of the season we WILL go up!

Archived