McClaren IN (if he doesn't leave!)

Mostyn6

Lots of expected negativity in here, but people need to take a step back in my opinion and look at the bigger picture.

You may be one of those who thinks McClaren has taken us backwards, and he should be sacked or resign, but I think the opposite.

What has happened to us is a blessing in disguise. Had be managed to go up, we'd have been inclined to stick with this group of players in the Premier league. Which would have been an absolute disaster. The thing now is that we KNOW that certain players don't have the mental wherewithal to take us further.

McClaren is the man for me. He has only had ONE full season and ONE summer transfer window. People are reacting as if he's spent millions on transfers, but he hasn't in truth. The club tried to be cute in the transfer window with some clever loans, and they nearly pulled it off. What they need now is to put in a proper recruitment effort this coming summer and clear out those that bare the scars of the Clough era, the play-off loss and this epic choke we've just completed.

My main worry if McClaren leaves is that the next manager comes in and relies on the same players that have failed.

My main pro for keeping McClaren is that there's no way he will stick with what he's got in central defence and midfield.

McClaren IN

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are overrating macclaren a lot. Yes he is an ok manager but nothing more than that. Not a great tactician,not a great motivator,not great at picking players to sign,very stubborn. I think it is for the best if he goes. A new manager with new ideas is needed

I have no problem with sm staying (or going for that matter).  I share your view that he must have identified where we need improving.  I am yet to be convinced that he has the 'eye' to do so.

(i'd like to know who acquired albentosa. I'm sure it's probably too early to say definitely but i'm not impressed at all.)

I have no problem with sm staying (or going for that matter).  I share your view that he must have identified where we need improving.  I am yet to be convinced that he has the 'eye' to do so.

(i'd like to know who acquired albentosa. I'm sure it's probably too early to say definitely but i'm not impressed at all.)

​Albentosa, Warrnock, Shotton? Just why?

​Albentosa, Warrnock, Shotton? Just why?

Because we appointed chris evans to go around signing players.

We now don't know if these players are the players that the manager / head coach even wanted.

i think we have to assume that he was happy with them.

All people involved off the pitch seem very switched on from what I can tell, and wouldn't just go out and get players unless McClaren has said he is interested in them. I think the only player I was surprised at was Warnock signing, but I guess he wanted a better back up than Naylor, seemed unneeded though.

Can't think of any of the players who have come in and done a bad job really. Shotton has been great seeing as he is a back up, people seem to expect so much from players who have been having to start which normally wouldn't. 

I think almost all of the players injured would of started today if they weren't injured, obviously excluding duplicate positions. They really did hit us hard, it's part of football, but we have certainly been out of luck with injurys this season, but we should still have made the playoffs. 

Lots of expected negativity in here, but people need to take a step back in my opinion and look at the bigger picture.

You may be one of those who thinks McClaren has taken us backwards, and he should be sacked or resign, but I think the opposite.

What has happened to us is a blessing in disguise. Had be managed to go up, we'd have been inclined to stick with this group of players in the Premier league. Which would have been an absolute disaster. The thing now is that we KNOW that certain players don't have the mental wherewithal to take us further.

McClaren is the man for me. He has only had ONE full season and ONE summer transfer window. People are reacting as if he's spent millions on transfers, but he hasn't in truth. The club tried to be cute in the transfer window with some clever loans, and they nearly pulled it off. What they need now is to put in a proper recruitment effort this coming summer and clear out those that bare the scars of the Clough era, the play-off loss and this epic choke we've just completed.

My main worry if McClaren leaves is that the next manager comes in and relies on the same players that have failed.

My main pro for keeping McClaren is that there's no way he will stick with what he's got in central defence and midfield.

McClaren IN

​I agree 100 per cent. Just hope he's learned from his mistakes, has the guts to get rid of those not up to it and has the financial to replace them without spending silly money. 

We seem to have found the only non-footballing Spanish centre back that exists.

The lads played his whole career in country where a specific style is played. He has had to deal with technical, skilful players at a slow to medium tempo. 

Hes then moved to a different country, and played a few matches where everything is different. Sure, he was poor today, but I think he needs a preseason to integrate with squad and leant some English. Then we can judge him next season

Thing is if you're upset with the players we've brought in, that problem isn't going to go away by sacking our manager. We have a system in place and an infrastructure, and there are people within that who are also accountable for that. Some of our signings have been brilliant, some okay, and only one or two have been baffling. I definitely think they've been integrated poorly. But still, if you're one of those types who love to play the blame game, it's not just the manager at fault there.

I wanted him out until I heard his post-match interview, mainly just because I was pissed off. It was very revealing hearing him repeating words like "talking" and "learning". Thankfully, he's not hot-headed Harold from Heanor booing his nut off in the North Stand. He knows what's wrong better than any of us, and if the first 14 months or so of his time here proved anything, it's that Steve learns from his past mistakes and makes changes to his own approach.

He's cocked it up this season, no doubt about it. So have the players. Doesn't mean we need to sack everyone though.

Until today, I kind of agreed with the OP, but having been at the game today, I just think that that display was not just to do with personnel, tactics, individual or collective skill.

hes lost the dressing room. 

Considering what was at stake today, we were worse than headless chickens.

normally, when we've lost or drawn a game that we should've won over the last few months, the one thing you couldn't doubt, was our tempo, energy and will.

There was none of that today. 

It just feels like there's something toxic at the heart of this.

I don't want him to be sacked. I don't want him to leave. But if he isn't 100% focused, then he should just leave. But this comes down to him and the club. They will have a meeting about this season, which will focus heavily on the last 16 games. At which point I think they might just sack him. That's how this league is. 

Until today, I kind of agreed with the OP, but having been at the game today, I just think that that display was not just to do with personnel, tactics, individual or collective skill.

hes lost the dressing room. 

Considering what was at stake today, we were worse than headless chickens.

normally, when we've lost or drawn a game that we should've won over the last few months, the one thing you couldn't doubt, was our tempo, energy and will.

There was none of that today. 

It just feels like there's something toxic at the heart of this.

​I wouldnt think we would have come back against the likes of Brenford, Millwall & Hudderfield if the players didnt have any passion or desire. Teams that are down and out have no character to get back into games. Today was just a step too far.

There are many reason why we failed this season but I dont think Mclaren has lost the team.

First up great post mostyn somebody looking at things sensible and calmly pity a few more cannot cool down a little and if needed take a few days before posting.

Having said that there has been a few good points made and of course some cannot see that has a whole the team lacks the neccesary mentality to suceeed.

Certain need to leave some who we would like to stay may want to go  and of course the back four needs major surgery.Off the four that played today I would say let go Keogh and Forsythe our captain is never that and for me sums up the mentality issue but I was never his greatest fan.

Albentossa needs time if you can read the LA Marcia article on the  eibars decline and how highly they rate him.Of course it could  be that  he just does not fit the club  these have happened over the years but I remember the criticism of  nish and Chris Powell when they first arrived.

A DM midfielder a must but a experiencedlet Hendrick go and bring in another midfielder.

Another forward two wide men too

Ward, Sammon,Warnock,Naylor,Eustace,Buxton and the loans leave. Has for Christie he needs to get his confidence back.

So a  changed team next year but not drastically but more winners please

Archived