How should a fan behave when players don't perform?

Mostyn6

Vocally criticising players; Acceptable?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was frustrated and wondered why Martin was on the wing and no one was offering them self for the ball. I didn't boo thoe thought that was stupid. I looked around when it happened and I think most people around me thought WTF!

I guess we are expected to win all the time now especially since Martins back. People behind me was shouting for Martin to close the defenders down.. Jesus he's just came back from a injury and said last game he was huffing and puffing after a jog and they expect him to be Mr.Bolt.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was saying 'booo-urns'

I think you all know where I stand. I've shouted in exasperation, but booing our own players is something I could never do. I cannot see how it can help - what player, low on confidence and having a 'mare, is ever going to think "I'm having a stinker and they are booing me. I know what - I'll flick the 'play better' switch". On the contrary, they are likely to 'hide', not show for the ball, always take the 'safe' option.

I had the chance to ask McClaren, Keogh and Grant about this topic and how being negative at players effects them. For Grant and Keogh I think it is water off a duck's back, they just suck it up and get on with it, and don't take too much notice but for younger or more vulnerable players such as the full backs, it really gets to them, hence why we see Forsyth and Christie falling apart.

Grant also pointed out that the atmosphere at the Brighton match was unforgettable and the players felt that they were unbeatable with that support behind them. He said there was no way they would lose that match with that atmosphere. However, he also said that the players can sense when everyone is nervous, or it's really quiet and that it does affect their mentality.

How we act and what we say at matches affects the team. There's no getting away from that, and we should be grown up enough to act on it.

SUPPORT THE TEAM. Leave the negativity for here.

I had the chance to ask McClaren, Keogh and Grant about this topic and how being negative at players effects them. For Grant and Keogh I think it is water off a duck's back, they just suck it up and get on with it, and don't take too much notice but for younger or more vulnerable players such as the full backs, it really gets to them, hence why we see Forsyth and Christie falling apart.

Grant also pointed out that the atmosphere at the Brighton match was unforgettable and the players felt that they were unbeatable with that support behind them. He said there was no way they would lose that match with that atmosphere. However, he also said that the players can sense when everyone is nervous, or it's really quiet and that it does affect their mentality.

How we act and what we say at matches affects the team. There's no getting away from that, and we should be grown up enough to act on it.

SUPPORT THE TEAM. Leave the negativity for here.

​Has anyone from the club ever come out and said as much?. I can't get Radio Derby or EM today, so it may have been discussed.

If not, they should do. Nothing to lose surely and might just make people think twice at the matches. Fans need to understand it only makes it worse for the players.

I think they've said it indirectly when Rush/McClaren/Keogh urge everyone to get behind the team.

The problem is if they came out and said "we can hear what you're saying and it doesn't help", they would get lambasted for being soft, weak, etc. If Will Hughes was in the South Stand on Saturday, he will have been shocked by the amount of criticism he heard, whether it was justified or not.

We're all grown-ups we should be able to work out for ourselves that if you are being criticised publicly all the time, it will affect your performance. It's not rocket science.

Nobody is disputing that the players and manager were rubbish on Saturday, least of all them, but reminding them so negatively during the game is not going to make it better.

Impossible to vote as term 'vocal criticism' is not accurate enough.

Boo? No. Never.

Good ol' moaning? Of course. That's what football is about. Moan to players and ref so you don't have to do it to your missus.

Saturday was the worse I have ever heard at the Ipro a few games ago we was the loudest home fans a few clubs have said. A few games later we hardly sung was embarrasing. It was like the Watford game we just stopped singing like we knew they would equalise.

There press basically said Watford kept on beliving and it got them the goal. Against QPR they was singing all the way through the second half and I knew they would win it it's like the fans were making sure they win.

I'm starting to question our support maybe we do only sing when we're winning.. I think it was better when we wasn't so good regarding the support it seems around 6k+ fans have came back only to expect us to win every game. Hopefully they return to there arm chairs soon.

the manager shouts and boloxs them rigid from the side does he not? Why can't we? 

​...because the manager knows far more about football than any of us do and his criticism will be far more constructive than ''Alan'' in the East Stand booing or shouting abuse!

If we were in Wigan's position then I could advocate frustration on the level I saw on Saturday. I just don't see how you can boo off a team situated in the play-offs regardless of form. It makes us seem awful fans and if you had heard of any other club in the Championship doing the same, you would instantaneously slam them as arrogant. 

We all know it's not been a good run of games for us but it makes no sense to add extra pressure. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel, we've possibly got two key players coming back for the play-offs and we've got a very favourable run-in in order to get there. 

I still believe on our day, when fully fit, we have the best side in the division and hopefully come the play-offs we will be able to put a side out that represents that: Grant, Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick/Bryson, Ince, Russell and Martin. We'd even have Darren Bent to call on if we're desperate for a goal. 

Injuries have been harsh and significantly hurt our season but we're far, far from finished and now we know our fate, we should be looking forward rather than backward.

Can any one of us honestly say that they've never shouted anything negative once in a while - audibly contributing to a frustrated atmosphere? 

I bet we all have, so don't be telling fibs now.

It might not be booing, but it's still negative.

But of course it's going to happen, it's bloody inevitable because that's football innit? 

Should we try sitting in silence? I wonder how long that would last.

Can any one of us honestly say that they've never shouted anything negative once in a while - audibly contributing to a frustrated atmosphere? 

I bet we all have, so don't be telling fibs now.

It might not be booing, but it's still negative.

But of course it's going to happen, it's bloody inevitable because that's football innit? 

Should we try sitting in silence? I wonder how long that would last.

​We've been doing for the majority of the season, so why stop now? :ph34r:

I've never booed a Derby team, but I've really started watching my groans now.

Everyone groans when a player makes a mistake, it's one of the most noticeable noises at a football match. I was reading the Secret Player's book and he mentioned that groaning was one of the most demoralising sounds you could hear as a footballer, along with ironic cheering for substitutions.

I've noticed that Fozzy gets a lot of groans for his mistakes, so I've tried to cut out moaning or groaning when one of the lads makes a mistake.

It's only so going so far not booing though, when do we ever give positive reinforcement to people like Fozzy and Christie? I've never heard us chant Fozzy's name, or Christie's for that matter, even when we've seen them tearing it up for us. We could do with Nick's lot getting some support going for them, particularly now when they could actually bloody do with it.

Q) How should a fan behave when players don't perform?....A) The way he or she chooses to behave.

This has probably been posted before, if not worth a read.

These are the best and worst things about supporting a beautiful, godforsaken football club.

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/sports/supporting-a-football-team.html

There are giddying highs that come with devoting oneself to a football club. But for all the derby wins, transfer coups and collective joy, signing up to this lifetime contract is not without certain realities. Come 5pm on a Saturday, you can find your weekend in tatters, your mood thunderous and hundreds of pounds frittered away.

For you are a football fan. For many, there is no choice. For those at the precipice of making this commitment, read on. And read closely. These are the best and worst things about supporting a beautiful, godforsaken football club.

10. Good! That Beautiful Feeling of Belonging Enter a football stadium -- your football stadium -- and you’ll feel something. It’s your church. For a couple of hours, you can switch off from the stresses of work, your dwindling bank balance, the pressures of relationships or fatherhood or fitness. It’s escapism, but you’re escaping into a world where you and thousands of fellow disciples are driven by the same single goal. Where else would you take a stranger into your arms, screaming? Completely sober? Nowhere else. At the football you’re part of something. A completely ludicrous, wallet-emptying cult run by charlatans, sure. But it’s your cult.

9. Bad! The Money We Spend On Polyester Nonsence Life’s pretty expensive and you’re no longer seven-years-old. Which means there’s no positive argument for the £50 you’re about to spend on that replica shirt. And the extra £20 on a 21-year-old millionaire's name and number.

8. Good! It Provides Invaluable Small Talk You’re at a family event. Your partner’s family. You’re under pressure to both mingle and make a good impression. Without warning, your girlfriend will vanish, nudging you with her eyes towards her father and cousin. The three of you will exchange a few conversational jabs, before hurtling down into a massive great conversational cul-de-sac.
“So,” you’ll mutter, hopeful. “Paul, who do you support?” A silent prayer follows the enquiry.
A second passes. It feels like an hour.
“We’re all Arsenal fans. You’re Spurs, right?”
OH, THANK YOU, JESUS. It matters not that the whole lot of them follow your rivals. You’ll gladly discuss
Aaron Ramsey and Laurent pissing Koscielny all evening if it eliminates awkward silences and means your girlfriend’s father hasn’t the opportunity to ask any tricky questions about your “career”.

7. Bad! Avoiding Arguments With Friends Becomes Quite Difficult My Twitter drafts folder is packed with incandescent, vicious rebuttals to throwaway slights on my football team. Fortunately, Twitter affords one the few valuable seconds it takes to jab out all 140 furious characters to realise it’s probably not worth wrecking a 19-year friendship over the fact you have a difference of opinion over Mousa Dembélé’s end product.
The pub, however, is a very different story. You’ll likely find yourself defending your (completely mercenary) heroes with more fervour than you would your own sister’s honour. Thank god we all (sort of) support the same team every other summer.

6. Good! Your Keen Sence Of Geography The underrated upside to a fledgling football obsession. Are other nine-year-olds aware of the Basque/Spanish divide? Can they name upwards of 12 Italian cities? Do they know the difference between the flags of the Netherlands and Luxembourg? Sorry, what’s that? They can because they’re well rounded young people who weren’t maniacally learning the names of all the Bundesliga teams like a tiny Rain Man?

5. Bad! You Will Sulk Like A BabyI’m engaged to be married and I’m fairly surprised by this. I’m quite shocked and incredibly relieved my fiancée didn’t calmly stroll away forever after the first time I unleashed a hilariously immature strop following a Tottenham home defeat.
“They lost to Wigan?” she had said. “Aren’t they a bit rubbish?”That innocent enquiry sent me into silent, impotent fury that I spent a good week apologising for. Well, once the acute embarrassment of acting like an enormous baby in front of the woman I hoped I would one day marry eventually kicked in.Still,
she’ll certainly be well skilled at dealing with any toddlers we may parent.
PS. I didn't use the above video because I'm a Spurs fan. I promise

4.Good! Last Minute Winners  If there’s a purer form of elation in existence… well, there just isn’t so I don’t want to hear another word about it.

3. Bad! It Can Sometimes Bring Out The Very Worst In Your Fellow Man Attending games of football has meant I’ve heard chants starring Hitler “coming to get you”, gas chambers, how it should have been Emmanuel Adebayor “shot dead in Togo”, allegations of paedophilia and plenty more besides. And, whilst I’m a Spurs fan, I’m not for a moment suggesting it’s those nasty away fans solely guilty. Pretty much every set of supporters are responsible for the type of nonsense that makes you wonder whether you’ll bother exposing your unborn children to the face-contorted hate that can fill our stadiums. Yes, there are some brilliantly quick, sharp and genuinely witty songs at football, but often, it’s just grim.

2.Good!It Instills Great Passion It’s good to care about something this much. Imagine how dull life would be without it. No one’s frantically reloading Twitter to find out how a movie was, or pumping their fist to a satisfying conclusion of EastEnders. Being able to love something this deeply is a good thing. That’s why we’re all so capable of transferring the same passion to all areas of our life, right?

1.Bad!When Your Favourite Player Laeves You(Sorry Leaves Your Club) Just why does solemnly staring at pictures of him wearing his new shirt feel like furiously clicking through an ex-girlfriend’s wedding pictures?

No, we should never show displeasure.  Just like when you go to a restaurant and the food is crap and you get treated badly.  What you should do in that scenario is remember that the chef and all the staff are precious little darlings, walk in the kitchen and start chanting "come on team, cook me a good meal - I know you can do it!"

Or when you buy a product that doesn't work from a shop. Instead of complaining, tell them how you think they're wonderful. If you don't, it will probably only make their product and service worse.

But remember: if you're a football fan, don't support your team too much. Don't invade the pitch when you've finally got something to shout about after years of boredom despite your ongoing support, like those Villa fans did. And don't - perish the thought - let off flares at the match. Flares! *gasp*. What a bunch of animals.

Football fans: don't support your team enough and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth. Support your team too much and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth.

I've never booed a Derby team, but I've really started watching my groans now.

Everyone groans when a player makes a mistake, it's one of the most noticeable noises at a football match. I was reading the Secret Player's book and he mentioned that groaning was one of the most demoralising sounds you could hear as a footballer, along with ironic cheering for substitutions.

I've noticed that Fozzy gets a lot of groans for his mistakes, so I've tried to cut out moaning or groaning when one of the lads makes a mistake.

It's only so going so far not booing though, when do we ever give positive reinforcement to people like Fozzy and Christie? I've never heard us chant Fozzy's name, or Christie's for that matter, even when we've seen them tearing it up for us. We could do with Nick's lot getting some support going for them, particularly now when they could actually bloody do with it.

​Good book the secret footballer, it makes you think a lot more about why a team maybe playing badly or an indivdual player randomly gets sent off for a horrendous out of the blue tackle. I think some people see footballers as just a fifa or football manager player, they only see them for their attributes and they forget that they are human and that maybe their are reasons beyond football for a bad performance. Also they way some people talk about players who are on bad form you think they had committed atrocious crimes, Christie makes a mistake and according to people on twitter is a tunt. Its weird how in football you get this ridiculous abuse but its no where near as bad in like Rugby.

No, we should never show displeasure.  Just like when you go to a restaurant and the food is crap and you get treated badly.  What you should do in that scenario is remember that the chef and all the staff are precious little darlings, walk in the kitchen and start chanting "come on team, cook me a good meal - I know you can do it!"

Or when you buy a product that doesn't work from a shop. Instead of complaining, tell them how you think they're wonderful. If you don't, it will probably only make their product and service worse.

But remember: if you're a football fan, don't support your team too much. Don't invade the pitch when you've finally got something to shout about after years of boredom despite your ongoing support, like those Villa fans did. And don't - perish the thought - let off flares at the match. Flares! *gasp*. What a bunch of animals.

Football fans: don't support your team enough and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth. Support your team too much and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth.

​this is where you are so so wrong it's embarrassing!

What are you paying for when you buy a match ticket? If you think you're paying for a victory, you're wrong! if you think you're paying for goals, you're wrong!

It's very different to paying for a meal, because when you're the customer in the restaurant, your entitled to get what you paid for, if they don't give you what you ordered, you get your money back, if the standard is not high, you don't go back, which is what you should consider when it comes to football.

When you pay for football, all you are entitled to expect is 2 teams on the pitch, you're not even entitled to a full 90 minutes! 

If you expect certain results and performances, that is your own dumb luck cos you're not entitled to them. If you don't appreciate the standard, then don't come back... seriously. Stay away. The club doesn't need happy clappers, but it doesn't need disloyal traitors trying to sabotage the most important thing a footballer has - confidence!

Archived