How should a fan behave when players don't perform?

Mostyn6

Vocally criticising players; Acceptable?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​this is where you are so so wrong it's embarrassing!

What are you paying for when you buy a match ticket? If you think you're paying for a victory, you're wrong! if you think you're paying for goals, you're wrong!

It's very different to paying for a meal, because when you're the customer in the restaurant, your entitled to get what you paid for, if they don't give you what you ordered, you get your money back, if the standard is not high, you don't go back, which is what you should consider when it comes to football.

When you pay for football, all you are entitled to expect is 2 teams on the pitch, you're not even entitled to a full 90 minutes! 

If you expect certain results and performances, that is your own dumb luck cos you're not entitled to them. If you don't appreciate the standard, then don't come back... seriously. Stay away. The club doesn't need happy clappers, but it doesn't need disloyal traitors trying to sabotage the most important thing a footballer has - confidence!

​It's not embarrassing. Not remotely.

No, you're not entitled to see a win or goals or a good performance. You're right about that. But you're not entitled to a good meal at a restaurant either. You're entitled to a meal. You're not entitled to enjoy it. You're paying to be fed.

I know of practically no other scenario than football (maybe paying taxes), where the expectation is for people to pay up and not utter a word of complaint.  Hand your money over at the turnstile and shut the **** up.  And if you choose not to go you're a **** fan.

Bankers? Boo! Robbing millionaire ********!  Footballers? Yay, superheroes!!

Why do so many football fans, who get paid a pittance compared to players, constantly need to shield those players from criticism?  Football players get paid a ******* fortune, no matter how crap they are at their job compared to their peers.  Claude Davis has more money than most of us will ever see in our lives, and he was utter ****. And I mean diabolical. The worst player I've ever seen pull on a shirt for this club. Couldn't pass it 5 yards, had no positional sense, head like a 50p piece. Millionaire no doubt.  Everyone could see he was toss. We all knew it. Yet rather than being outraged that a player so utterly, shamefully bad was on the pitch earning an eye-watering sum of money, what we should really think about is how we might hurt his feelings. Unbelievable.

​It's not embarrassing. Not remotely.
No, you're not entitled to see a win or goals or a good performance. You're right about that. But you're not entitled to a good meal at a restaurant either. You're entitled to a meal. You're not entitled to enjoy it. You're paying to be fed.

I know of practically no other scenario than football (maybe paying taxes), where the expectation is for people to pay up and not utter a word of complaint.  Hand your money over at the turnstile and shut the **** up.  And if you choose not to go you're a **** fan.

Bankers? Boo! Robbing millionaire ********!  Footballers? Yay, superheroes!!

Why do so many football fans, who get paid a pittance compared to players, constantly need to shield those players from criticism?  Football players get paid a ******* fortune, no matter how crap they are at their job compared to their peers.  Claude Davis has more money than most of us will ever see in our lives, and he was utter ****. And I mean diabolical. The worst player I've ever seen pull on a shirt for this club. Couldn't pass it 5 yards, had no positional sense, head like a 50p piece. Millionaire no doubt.  Everyone could see he was toss. We all knew it. Yet rather than being outraged that a player so utterly, shamefully bad was on the pitch earning an eye-watering sum of money, what we should really think about is how we might hurt his feelings. Unbelievable.

​there's nothing in your reasoning that I can logically argue with. All I can point out is the following:-

1, Claude was in a poor team underachieving. The likes of Christie and Forsyth have been part of a team overachieving and playing well.

2, ONCE Derby fans boo or single out a player during game time, his career at Derby is effectively over. He'll never perform again in a Derby shirt. Go through history and check. THIS season, Grant, Forsyth, Keogh, Buxton, Shotton, Christie, Mascarell, Bryson, Dawkins, Hendrick and even Martin have been subject to abuse and being singled out for criticism vocally DURING a match. For saying we spent most of the season in the top 2 or 3, that is absolutely mental. Derby fans should've been the happiest fans in the league considering the pain we've endured, but no, we are too busy demanding unrealistic results!

It doesn't make them play better. That's why getting on their backs with booing and jeering shouldn't happen?

Do you want Forsyth to play well?

Do you think he doesn't know he was rubbish on Saturday?

Do you think booing him is more likely to make him think a) I've not been trying to win or succeed so I might start now. I need to please these people! Or b) I'm trying ffs!!! I'm not losing on purpose. I didn't pick myself. But now I'm so scared of making mistakes because everyone hates me that I just don't really want the ball at all. I wish you'd all **** off.  

If you want to boo then boo. But I'd rather players played without fear or nervousness. Even more so if they're rubbish in the first place. A scared rubbish player! 

Of course there's moments where we get frustrated and shout our displeasure.  We all do it. 

But to make a player feel like ****? How does that help us as a club or team improve? 

They can sense frustration and tension. They hear hundreds of moans and groans at a misplaced pass. They know if they aren't doing well. That's sound.  

What isn't sound or helpful is when we do it so much that they don't really want to play for us. Which has been the case this season that they are out there, giving the effort, following instructions against another team doing exactly the same and they're getting **** for it. 

Rather than inspiring them to make more effort it actually works the other way. They don't want to play. 

But the people booing Forsyth are too thick to think that much.  "It's the I've paid my money and I AM DERBY" mentality. "He's on £20,000 per week!!" 

So? At what point do you become paid enough to take mountains of **** off people? He's not paid to take abuse. But it comes with the job. Players accept that. 

When we began playing football did we do it for the money? Did we consider that one day we might have thousands of people abusing us and our families? But if you get really good at it then the chance to earn money comes. Do you turn it down for a job in ASDA? 

It's an emotional game and there will always be outbursts. But to actually target individuals to hammer. What's the goal? Whats the gain? 

Rather than boo or complain, I sit quietly in my seat while rocking gently backward and forward and quietly sobbing - has the side effect of also getting me a bit more room as people for some reason don't want to sit too close to me....

It doesn't make them play better. That's why getting on their backs with booing and jeering shouldn't happen?

Do you want Forsyth to play well?

Do you think he doesn't know he was rubbish on Saturday?

Do you think booing him is more likely to make him think a) I've not been trying to win or succeed so I might start now. I need to please these people! Or b) I'm trying ffs!!! I'm not losing on purpose. I didn't pick myself. But now I'm so scared of making mistakes because everyone hates me that I just don't really want the ball at all. I wish you'd all **** off.  

If you want to boo then boo. But I'd rather players played without fear or nervousness. Even more so if they're rubbish in the first place. A scared rubbish player! 

Of course there's moments where we get frustrated and shout our displeasure.  We all do it. 

But to make a player feel like ****? How does that help us as a club or team improve? 

They can sense frustration and tension. They hear hundreds of moans and groans at a misplaced pass. They know if they aren't doing well. That's sound.  

What isn't sound or helpful is when we do it so much that they don't really want to play for us. Which has been the case this season that they are out there, giving the effort, following instructions against another team doing exactly the same and they're getting **** for it. 

Rather than inspiring them to make more effort it actually works the other way. They don't want to play. 

But the people booing Forsyth are too thick to think that much.  "It's the I've paid my money and I AM DERBY" mentality. "He's on £20,000 per week!!" 

So? At what point do you become paid enough to take mountains of **** off people? He's not paid to take abuse. But it comes with the job. Players accept that. 

When we began playing football did we do it for the money? Did we consider that one day we might have thousands of people abusing us and our families? But if you get really good at it then the chance to earn money comes. Do you turn it down for a job in ASDA? 

It's an emotional game and there will always be outbursts. But to actually target individuals to hammer. What's the goal? Whats the gain? 

​Top post and do we get any bonus points for getting the amount of questions you asked in that post right? :D

At Saturday's match I heard a bit of booing and some blokes on the row in front of us were moaning at almost every move Derby made (or didn't as the case may be).

At one point a rather portly gent said summat like "I could've scored from there all day long".

I said to Pete " He must be a brilliant player then."

When Rammie walked among us someone said "Ayup Rammie, why don't you go on and score one for us?"

Some fans were booing Keogh at one point and Pete said "I like him as a player I do." I watched him carefully and realised that he was putting everything he had into the game as well as giving instructions to other players. His work rate was amazing if anyone cared to watch him rather than boo him.

It was great to see so many true fans applaud Tommy Smith when he came on as sub for Brentford. Many years ago I heard Man City "supporters chant "City reject!" at Franny Lee who had been one of their finest players ever!

The Brentford supporters made more noise than our 28,000 fans and really got behind their team.

Derby stole two points off Brentford, but I would never consider booing the team I support, win lose or draw.

There is a caustic, hyper-critical, unpleasant atmosphere at the moment, reflected in the nasty comments directed at keogh, and bryson etc.

the vitriol is beyond reasonable. I'm embarrassed on behalf of the fans.

There was a Derby fan behind me who shouted v brentford " get up Martin you fkn donkey".

He must have heard it.

with friends like that.......

​If you hear it again, turn round and say something.  Easy to say, but the true fans need to stand up against the moronic booers.  They are not true fans, an empty seat is better than an idiot who boos their own team, they need to clear off permanently

No, we should never show displeasure.  Just like when you go to a restaurant and the food is crap and you get treated badly.  What you should do in that scenario is remember that the chef and all the staff are precious little darlings, walk in the kitchen and start chanting "come on team, cook me a good meal - I know you can do it!"

Or when you buy a product that doesn't work from a shop. Instead of complaining, tell them how you think they're wonderful. If you don't, it will probably only make their product and service worse.

But remember: if you're a football fan, don't support your team too much. Don't invade the pitch when you've finally got something to shout about after years of boredom despite your ongoing support, like those Villa fans did. And don't - perish the thought - let off flares at the match. Flares! *gasp*. What a bunch of animals.

Football fans: don't support your team enough and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth. Support your team too much and we'll consider you the scum of the Earth.

​are you really from Little Eaton?  Used to breed intelligent folk when I lived there

​If you hear it again, turn round and say something.  Easy to say, but the true fans need to stand up against the moronic booers.  They are not true fans, an empty seat is better than an idiot who boos their own team, they need to clear off permanently

The guy was in his late 30s early 40s.

i turned around open mouthed, scowling in disbelief, but before snyone could say anything, his father (presumably? - "there goes my spore theory") said "you tell'em jeff " or whatever his name was.

these are adults supposedly.

Rather than boo or complain, I sit quietly in my seat while rocking gently backward and forward and quietly sobbing - has the side effect of also getting me a bit more room as people for some reason don't want to sit too close to me....

Oooh ......i think i sit next to you.

​I do that too! And then retreat back to a dark room at home and do... well very much the same... for at least 12 hours...

I have never and will never booed a Derby player.  I agree when someone said that 30,000 groaning at the same time has a big impact.  We all (or most of us) do that, it is a natural reaction.

It is weird though, we are a good side challenging for promotion but some of the recent games have been some of the most frustrating to watch, partly because we are a good team and are underperforming and partly because expectations have been raised.  During the Middlesboro game I was that frustrated I'd have left after they scored if it wasn't my mate driving home, and I have never left a game early.  During the Brentford game me and my mate were so frustrated we were reduced to laughing as the same player gave the ball away time after time.

​I do that too! And then retreat back to a dark room at home and do... well very much the same... for at least 12 hours...

​I know you say it in jest, but there are genuinely people saying "that's the worst I've EVER seen Derby play".

Which is absolutely rubbish! I remember games under John Gregory! I remember games under Phil Brown! I remember games under Paul Jewell! I remember games under Nigel Clough! Each and every one of those managers regularly oversaw way worse performances than what we've had under McClaren.

Fans love moaning, fans like to feel sorry for themselves so they can vent. Some fans would rather us lose so they can direct all the misery in their lives to the players!

​I know you say it in jest, but there are genuinely people saying "that's the worst I've EVER seen Derby play".

Which is absolutely rubbish! I remember games under John Gregory! I remember games under Phil Brown! I remember games under Paul Jewell! I remember games under Nigel Clough! Each and every one of those managers regularly oversaw way worse performances than what we've had under McClaren.

Fans love moaning, fans like to feel sorry for themselves so they can vent. Some fans would rather us lose so they can direct all the misery in their lives to the players!

​Oh I remember how dreadful we've been... I went to most of the games in the 11 point season... I still just about remember the season before Jim Smith arrived which was fairly dire...

What's MUCH more depressing now though is that in terms of footballing ability we have an incredibly talented group of players now... We should have romped this league... Yet somehow we've failed to live up to the standards we occasionally set...

​Oh I remember how dreadful we've been... I went to most of the games in the 11 point season... I still just about remember the season before Jim Smith arrived which was fairly dire...

What's MUCH more depressing now though is that in terms of footballing ability we have an incredibly talented group of players now... We should have romped this league... Yet somehow we've failed to live up to the standards we occasionally set...

​see, I cannot agree. If you (and others) genuinely thought that, you/they wouldn't be so adamant we need Chris Martin or George Thorne etc to succeed.

We have talent, undoubtedly, but do we have better talent than the 4 teams above us?

Archived