How should a fan behave when players don't perform?

Mostyn6

Vocally criticising players; Acceptable?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is ok to get irritated at player's performances and discuss certain facets of their play.And that can be done without downright abusing players verbally.

I have never been to a Derby game in person but when I do I will not boo,moan,what have you at the players.No need;regardless of how aggravated fans are at performance,not as much as players themselves are.

Cheer the team on with all your heart and if results still do not happen,well damn...life goes on.

The one thing worse than booing is when supporters do ironic cheers when a player gets subbed off. Nothing more humiliating than that. I never boo, but I will make comments about how ***** certain players are playing. 

Don't like it, never will.

I hate it when it's about 3 minutes in and you start getting the groaning and moaning, or from the off X player is just gonna get it from the fans and what really gets me is often there's boos when the performance hasn't merited it. booing and verbally abusing your own players doesn't make you passionate, it makes you a doughnut.

It's a little bit about situation, timing and volume. Sometimes it's understandable - but i don't think it helps and i might be daft, but even if it's been dross on the pitch, if the crowd has give it a blooming good shout and sing I still go away with some sense of something, when it's just misery all round you get back to the station/car and it's just rubbish.

but that's just me, I don't even get that often as my life isn't in the area these days, and if you've paid your money you takes your choice I suppose.

Hold on!

i voted yes, but it never mentioned booing in the question, I don't boo, but I do moan, not out loud so 10 rows hear my opinion without the player being remotely at danger of hearing it though.

so it's a yes and no from me.

Don't get me wrong, I get incredibly frustrated watching Derby at times, like most other fans.

However, I would never boo the players. I honestly don't understand how that will benefit the team in any way. Players like Forsyth who were struggling on Saturday, you could tell their confidence was shot just from looking at their body language. How is berating a player through the medium of booing going to help boost his performance?

If we chanelled all the energy we used booing into positive encouragement for the players, we might see a significant improvement in their performances from that point onwards!

Booing is a modern thing. There's an expectation nowadays to win every game.

When football was on a more level playing field, before the poisoned chalice of SKY, you could have 6 or 7 teams in March still with a chance of winning the League. 

Fans are more fickle and measure themselves against their glory hunting mates who support Manchester or London.

There is a caustic, hyper-critical, unpleasant atmosphere at the moment, reflected in the nasty comments directed at keogh, and bryson etc.

the vitriol is beyond reasonable. I'm embarrassed on behalf of the fans.

There was a Derby fan behind me who shouted v brentford " get up Martin you fkn donkey".

He must have heard it.

with friends like that.......

I don't really buy the whole "They get paid well, so therefore should no longer have regular human flaws and sensitivities" attitude.

Same with the "let's all boo Eddie Lewis because in his mid 30s he can't compete with some of the best players in the world" brigade of yesteryear. It's down to the manager to pick the team and get the best out of them anyway.

No. 

People think players are careless and stupid.

They know when they've not played well. They do care. Perhaps not about the badge but you don't get to be a professional player without commitment. 

"Oh but he was out partying after"

What's he supposed to do? Hang himself? Have you cancelled your plans? 

Never get carried away with winning or losing. Never take praise or criticism too seriously. Best rules for a footballer. 

They don't want to let people down. Like anyone they want to be valued. 

All jeering and booing does is make people feel like they can't or don't want to perform well. They know whether you're happy with them or not. 

Do you think Forsyth needed booing on Saturday to tell him his passing was horrific. He'd know. 

Trouble is that we should be able to let the side know that we aren't happy with the effort and form that they are showing,  the manager shouts and boloxs them rigid from the side does he not? Why can't we? 

When Macca or Simmo ball them out should we be asking them to get behind the team?

Booing is not the answer, but we should be able to let them know it's unacceptable, just like the staff do.

shouting personal stuff isn't acceptable, like get up you fat barsteward, or YER shiiiiiite! but a few "pull YER socks up!" Should be acceptable, after all, we are the lifeblood of the club, they are playing for us aren't they?  Without fans there's no club.

Archived