How should a fan behave when players don't perform?

Mostyn6

Vocally criticising players; Acceptable?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​this is where you are so so wrong it's embarrassing!

What are you paying for when you buy a match ticket? If you think you're paying for a victory, you're wrong! if you think you're paying for goals, you're wrong!

It's very different to paying for a meal, because when you're the customer in the restaurant, your entitled to get what you paid for, if they don't give you what you ordered, you get your money back, if the standard is not high, you don't go back, which is what you should consider when it comes to football.

When you pay for football, all you are entitled to expect is 2 teams on the pitch, you're not even entitled to a full 90 minutes!

If you expect certain results and performances, that is your own dumb luck cos you're not entitled to them. If you don't appreciate the standard, then don't come back... seriously. Stay away. The club doesn't need happy clappers, but it doesn't need disloyal traitors trying to sabotage the most important thing a footballer has - confidence!

​You may not be entitled to a good performance, but you're certainly entitled to expect one.

Think of your job. Your employer is entitled to pay you, regardless of your performance. You aren't entitled to be a good performer, but if you perform poorly, the key stakeholders of your employer (ie your customers) aren't going to be very happy, and will voice their displeasure, quite rightly. If, in your disciplinary, you said that your poor performance was down to customers slagging you off, you'd be sacked on the spot.

To blame the fans for continued poor performances is moronic. Fans have a right to voice displeasure if performances are not good enough. Expectations are high after last season, there's nothing wrong with that, with a former England manager who has expierence in Leagues across Europe, it's not too much to expect a challenge for automatic promotion from the second tier of English football.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​see, I cannot agree. If you (and others) genuinely thought that, you/they wouldn't be so adamant we need Chris Martin or George Thorne etc to succeed.

We have talent, undoubtedly, but do we have better talent than the 4 teams above us?

In terms of ability I think overall we're head and shoulders above the competition... I think in terms of desire and motivation maybe we're lacking... and we're certainly missing a big hardman in the centre which teams in the championship seem to need...

I think the game against Brentford really summed it up... They played a tactically great formation against us... Andre Grey looked average at best up top but gave our defence the slip over and over again... and their defence was middling in ability but high on desire... however they set up with 6 strong defensive players (two proper DMs) and allowed their creative 3 to flourish... On the flip side we played two midfielders who can't tackle as DMs and then played a formation which meant their defence had an easy time dealing with our 4 attackers...

Idle speculation but I wonder whether the combo of the majority of the team being on long contracts plus the added tag of 'favourites' from early doors has shaken the team or made them complacent

​You may not be entitled to a good performance, but you're certainly entitled to expect one.

Think of your job. Your employer is entitled to pay you, regardless of your performance. You aren't entitled to be a good performer, but if you perform poorly, the key stakeholders of your employer (ie your customers) aren't going to be very happy, and will voice their displeasure, quite rightly. If, in your disciplinary, you said that your poor performance was down to customers slagging you off, you'd be sacked on the spot.

To blame the fans for continued poor performances is moronic. Fans have a right to voice displeasure if performances are not good enough. Expectations are high after last season, there's nothing wrong with that, with a former England manager who has expierence in Leagues across Europe, it's not too much to expect a challenge for automatic promotion from the second tier of English football.

​you miss so many points, it's compounding things. 

When you buy a match ticket, you are entitled to watch 22 men kick a football around, nothing more nothing less. As a rule, each team is required to try to win. Performances are subjective. The best performance doesn't always mean the right result, hence the saying "it's a results business". If you go to the cinema and don't enjoy the film, do you get your money back? NO. Do you abuse the cinema staff? NO! 

Interesting you mention the normal working environment. Do you have a job? Do you ever make mistakes? I bet you make more mistakes than Craig Forysth does.

​you miss so many points, it's compounding things.

When you buy a match ticket, you are entitled to watch 22 men kick a football around, nothing more nothing less. As a rule, each team is required to try to win. Performances are subjective. The best performance doesn't always mean the right result, hence the saying "it's a results business". If you go to the cinema and don't enjoy the film, do you get your money back? NO. Do you abuse the cinema staff? NO!

Interesting you mention the normal working environment. Do you have a job? Do you ever make mistakes? I bet you make more mistakes than Craig Forysth does.

​Yes I have a job, I never said I was perfect, but I don't make the same mistakes over and over again and face no action for it. And if I underperformed and it my clients were affected, I'd certainly know about it. And I would ensure that I didn't make the same mistakes. In any case, mistakes are only part of the team's current struggles, it's a lack of ideas and effort that's getting to people.

The cinema scenario is completely irrelevant. The staff don't make the films. That would be the same as abusing the stewards or the bar staff after a Derby game. But you will go and tell all your friends not to waste their money going to see it, thus the filmmakers ultimately lose out (I guess it would depend on how the cinema pays them to allow them to screen it, but let's assume it's a % of the cinema's takings).

Performances are subjective, effort is not. I'd agree that you shouldn't boo if the team is putting the effort in but has been bested by a team who's done their homework. Whilst Brentford were well drilled on Saturday, we looked like a mid-table team who had one foot on the beach, not the one who was actually above them. It's the fight that was missing.

​Yes I have a job, I never said I was perfect, but I don't make the same mistakes over and over again and face no action for it. And if I underperformed and it my clients were affected, I'd certainly know about it. And I would ensure that I didn't make the same mistakes. In any case, mistakes are only part of the team's current struggles, it's a lack of ideas and effort that's getting to people.

The cinema scenario is completely irrelevant. The staff don't make the films. That would be the same as abusing the stewards or the bar staff after a Derby game. But you will go and tell all your friends not to waste their money going to see it, thus the filmmakers ultimately lose out (I guess it would depend on how the cinema pays them to allow them to screen it, but let's assume it's a % of the cinema's takings).

Performances are subjective, effort is not. I'd agree that you shouldn't boo if the team is putting the effort in but has been bested by a team who's done their homework. Whilst Brentford were well drilled on Saturday, we looked like a mid-table team who had one foot on the beach, not the one who was actually above them. It's the fight that was missing.

​I think it's as relevant as the players do not decide what YOU (the spectator) deems as acceptable. 

I also disagree about your assessment, there was no lack of effort whatsoever, and certainly not from the players facing flak, it was lack of quality, composure and confidence that I saw. Effort was never in doubt.

For the record, I've been saying for a season that Forysth (and Keogh) need to be dropped, but I would never do anything during a game to make them play worse, which by singling them out, fans are doing.

​I think it's as relevant as the players do not decide what YOU (the spectator) deems as acceptable.

I also disagree about your assessment, there was no lack of effort whatsoever, and certainly not from the players facing flak, it was lack of quality, composure and confidence that I saw. Effort was never in doubt.

For the record, I've been saying for a season that Forysth (and Keogh) need to be dropped, but I would never do anything during a game to make them play worse, which by singling them out, fans are doing.

​If any grown person can't decide what's an accpetable performance level in their chosen job/career then they shouldn't be in that job. The players can influence their performance there and then, cinema staff aren't paid to act out their own endings which they feel will improve a particular film.

We ran out of ideas after 10 mintures and resorted to hoofing it, which we've been deriding other sides for. And again, the same mistakes, losing the ball in the middle, no cover for the player who lost the ball, standing off them when they attacked. It was a good hit but he was allowed to shoot under no pressure, he was going to at least get it on target. Suggests that it's not being addressed in training, ok that's not just the player's fault, but the least you expect people to do when they make mistakes is to admit to them and learn from them.

Archived