Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Dubois quit, but no shame in that, could have risked permanent damage to that eye. I think his trainers have a lot to answer for - him quitting by taking a knee is not a good look compared to them throwing the towel in which they should have at least considered. Plus why not teach Dubois to move his head! He was eating jabs all night.

Warren is just crap. Saw Dubois as his cash cow so pushed him way too early. He was so disrespectful to Joyce afterwards as well. And the undercard was terrible

Oh Daniel, the biggest thing you had was that people feared your strength and you just flushed that all down the can. Like Tyson after Douglas, like Wilder after Fury, you will never be the same fighter again. You showed, against a tough, tough guy, that you don't really bang like people feared and to quit like you did showed you really don't like to take what you give. It wasn't a career ending fight for you but it was a career limiting fight.

As for Joyce, showed he is teak tough but has all the guile of a water buffalo. Moved more than he has ever done in his career but he's at the peak of where he will get to. Might get a shot at some point but Usyk would be daft to take him - cruiserweight hands against a granite chin means the best he can hope for is a points victory against an old and unknown fighter.

Ask yourself this, who would win between Joyce and Chsora? Del Boy all day long, so I see no living reason why any top level fighter would want to sully their card with one of these two. Indeed, Chisora vs Joyce or the winner of the Whyte / Poveyin rematch is about the most likely outcome for me.

On to the other half of the night - yes Tyson against Jones was better than expected and good for what it was, an exhibition fight. But all you need to know about it was that Snoop Dogg was ringside commentator - really, that tells you all you need to know.

Just now, Posh Ram said:

Dubois quit, but no shame in that, could have risked permanent damage to that eye. I think his trainers have a lot to answer for - him quitting by taking a knee is not a good look compared to them throwing the towel in which they should have at least considered. Plus why not teach Dubois to move his head! He was eating jabs all night.

Warren is just crap. Saw Dubois as his cash cow so pushed him way too early. He was so disrespectful to Joyce afterwards as well. And the undercard was terrible

Sums up Frank Warren. Dubois has never had to move his head. He's only had one fight before this where he's had to bite down on his gumshield. 

Totally pushed to satisfy Warren's ego and promises of getting fighters high rankings with the governing bodies

All he talks about is people being #4 with WBO and #5 with WBA. Like it actually means anything. 

Not fair on Dubois but it's kind of what they deserved. 

He has the power to beat Joyce but has never had to box his way into a position to use that power. Always been a bully. 

Joyce v Chisora would be decent but I don't see what Chisora would gain from it. 

2 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Disagree that there is no shame in that - I know it's easy for me to say sat on my sofa with a beer and some nachos but if you have built your brand on fear you can't quit on one knee, you just can't.

If you think Warren is bad, Sam Jones takes the biscuit - talking all over Joyce's post match interviews. Too much mouth by half. He has an East Midlands accent of some descruption, anyone know where he heralds from?

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Hughie Fury would beat both of them on points. He may have poor punch power but he's smarter and quick enough to beat them both at the same time. 

Joyce calling out Usyk. That would be easy work for Usyk. 

That'd be a bizarre spectacle because I'd be surprised if Usyk didn't take all 12 rounds. At the same time, he wouldn't hurt Joyce at all.  That chin is granite.

Joyce will probably be fast-tracked to a world title fight, lose, and then become a decent gatekeeper sort and make a bit of money at the tail-end of his career. Dubois losing his unbeaten record isn't a big deal as he was pushed too hard too quickly but he needs a new trainer and to get away from Frank Warren. If he rebuilds his confidence he can come again, but psychological side is key. Otherwise he'll be the next David Price

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Disagree that there is no shame in that - I know it's easy for me to say sat on my sofa with a beer and some nachos but if you have built your brand on fear you can't quit on one knee, you just can't.

If you think Warren is bad, Sam Jones takes the biscuit - talking all over Joyce's post match interviews. Too much mouth by half. He has an East Midlands accent of some descruption, anyone know where he heralds from?

Sam Jones just wants to be Eddie Hearn. Except he rides on the back of fighters rather than having the charisma and charm of an actual good promoter 

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I think the 'quitting' debate is a really difficult one in this situation. On the one hand, it looks awful from a branding perspective as you say. The best boxers have a screw loose and so would choose to go out 'on their shield'. It does suggest Dubois could be lacking a killer mentality.

At the same time, he's 23 and clearly wasn't ready for this fight. He looked shook up from the first time Joyce hit him. And going blind is not worth saving face, in a fight he probably would have lost anyway.

I think his trainers really let him down, you could tell Martin Bowers wanted him to tough it out and win/lose on points. He didn't show much ring IQ last night. Mouthing off about 'putting Joyce to sleep' is one thing but despite his lack of defence Joyce didn't wobble once. It's a massive step up to go from fighting bums who have probably agreed to throw in the towel after 2 rounds, to Joyce who is a top 25 HW and is never going to show Dubois that respect

19 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Derby it would seem

On 29/11/2020 at 12:06, Alpha said:

Hughie Fury would beat both of them on points. He may have poor punch power but he's smarter and quick enough to beat them both at the same time. 

Joyce calling out Usyk. That would be easy work for Usyk. 

Already fought in WBSS with no guards, it's on YouTube. Joyce is effective and better than he looks on the eye.

Found it amusing reading some of the predictions here, my opinion was if Dubois didn't get to Joyce early he'd get drowned in deep waters. Joyce is the most relentless HW out there along with Usyk. Constant pressure which Dubois has never faced, couple that with a granite chin you've got problems. Joyce is a beast very strong and technically better than a lot of people realised, was robbed of Olympic gold IMHO. Dubois looked shocked after the first few jabs and I think was demoralised as soon as Joyce walked through his right hand. Joyce's tactics were perfect, pressure constantly and take him deep and drown him in the later rounds.

Problem for Joyce now is all the titles are tied up for at least a couple of years and he's what? 36?

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Already fought in WBSS with no guards, it's on YouTube. Joyce is effective and better than he looks on the eye.

I've seen that. I still think Usyk wins on points 9/10. 

I don't think Usyk will have it all his own way at HW but I don't think Joyce beats the top guys.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've seen that. I still think Usyk wins on points 9/10. 

I don't think Usyk will have it all his own way at HW but I don't think Joyce beats the top guys.

To me Joyce is a B level fighter, good all rounder but will always fall short of the top tier. Got the chin and fitness to be tough to beat for anyone. Joyce vs Usyk would still be a good fight in my eyes because Joyce knows he can walk through Usyk's best shot, the range control pressure game Usyk deploys doesn't faze Joyce. I'd still pick Usyk on accuracy just to land the cleaner work but it'd still be intriguing to me.

Just catching up on this. Joyce did unspectacular but effective work. Dubois looks miles away. He was blowing out of his arse and looking troubled on his stool from about round four. He's only 23 but there is a lot of work to be done if he wants to challenge the upper echelons of the HW division. Binning whoever his trainer is and getting away from Warren would be a start.

As for Joyce, the titles are probably out of reach for him if only due to the fact fights are already planned out. I'd be interested to see him in with the likes of Whyte. He clearly has a great chin but seeing that tested by some proper punchers would be interesting.