Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I watched Fight camp on Sky last night. 

Thought it was pretty good, all things considered.

Most of the bouts were decent fights and the Jonny Nelson 10 min talk about boxing and BLM was excellent. 

I fell asleep and missed it. I was only really interested in Gill and Eggington anyway. 

By the time Eggington hangs up the gloves he will have a face like melted wax. Entertaining, likeable fighter but takes far too much punishment. Knew he'd lose ?

On 02/08/2020 at 12:22, Alpha said:

I fell asleep and missed it. I was only really interested in Gill and Eggington anyway. 

By the time Eggington hangs up the gloves he will have a face like melted wax. Entertaining, likeable fighter but takes far too much punishment. Knew he'd lose ?

Eggington actually looked like he'd made good improvements, Cheeseman just wanted a bit more due to it being his last effort before potentially retiring early.

• 2 weeks later...

I  caught the last 2 bouts on last nights card. 

Barrett v Donovan was a really good fight. 

Felix Cash performed well against Welborn, he looks a talent, although I couldnt understand a word of his interview. I guess he's from the travelling community. 

I like the boxing without the fans. 

You hear so much more from the ring and ringside than normal, its fascinating. 

Big heavyweight fight for the first time in forever. 

Got a bad feeling about this one. I think they'll be a bar fight or two and I think Povetkin has the tougher chin. Only a mad man would want to fight Povetkin. He's horribly tough. Much easier to avoid him. All Whyte had to do was tick over but he's got stainless steel nuts. I hope he wins and gets the shot he deserves. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Big heavyweight fight for the first time in forever. 

Got a bad feeling about this one. I think they'll be a bar fight or two and I think Povetkin has the tougher chin. Only a mad man would want to fight Povetkin. He's horribly tough. Much easier to avoid him. All Whyte had to do was tick over but he's got stainless steel nuts. I hope he wins and gets the shot he deserves. 

Shame we lost the Bakole fight against Kuzmin, would have been a decent scrap. Povetkin's last chance surely now, he'll be bang up for this one. Get the feeling both guys will get dropped.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Shame we lost the Bakole fight against Kuzmin, would have been a decent scrap. Povetkin's last chance surely now, he'll be bang up for this one. Get the feeling both guys will get dropped.

Do you reckon Bakole will do well? 

To me he looks a bit like the Joyce/Dubois category of expecting to win every trade. Just think at some level below world level they will all find an opponent that fights just as hard but a little smarter.

I already thought Dubois was very lucky in one of his fights (I think it was Lartey but not 100%) where his chin was actually tested and didn't look too great for a guy who's defence is to throw more hooks

They all look like they expect to blast everyone out quicker than they can be hit.

Dubois v Joyce should be good in October. I think age/stamina will decide it.

Edited by Alpha

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I already thought Dubois was very lucky in one of his fights (I think it was Lartey but not 100%) where his chin was actually tested and didn't look too great for a guy who's defence is to throw more hooks

I love watching Dubois fight ?, no nous, no ring intelligence, just standing in the middle throwing bombs at people. Past the bums he's being fed he'll suffer. I do hope he'll do Joyce because I can't stand watching Joyce fight.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I love watching Dubois fight ?, no nous, no ring intelligence, just standing in the middle throwing bombs at people. Past the bums he's being fed he'll suffer. I do hope he'll do Joyce because I can't stand watching Joyce fight.

I have completely the different assessment to you, he has shown good improvements and lately proved his boxing ability. Good guard in exchanges and probably my favourite jab in the division, his jab is heavier than some guys leads. I think he'll go on to be a top fighter, I didn't rate him early on but he is maturing really well.

Edited by tomsdubs

Just now, tomsdubs said:

I have completely the different assessment to you, he had shown good improvements and lately proved his boxing ability. Good guard in exchanges and probably my gf

That's fair enough. I've seen Dubois fight 3 times now, and particularly vs Gorman and Lartey I just thought he was trading far too much and taking quite a lot of hits himself. He's a big puncher so it'll work for now but I do fear for him vs other good opponents. He's still young though so I can see him improving over time.

Can't wait for tomorrow night. It's been good to have boxing back and there's been some good scraps but when the biggest names are back or the heavy division kicks off... the big nights are something else.

C'mon Dillian, lad. Don't fall at the last hurdle. 

Pressure on Katie Taylor too. 

Head says Povetkin by KO in 10.

Heart says Whyte on points. 

Agree with @tomsdubs, I think both will probably touch the canvas. 

Two brawlers should be a war. 

On 21/08/2020 at 18:22, Alpha said:

Can't wait for tomorrow night. It's been good to have boxing back and there's been some good scraps but when the biggest names are back or the heavy division kicks off... the big nights are something else.

C'mon Dillian, lad. Don't fall at the last hurdle. 

Pressure on Katie Taylor too. 

Head says Povetkin by KO in 10.

Heart says Whyte on points. 

Agree with @tomsdubs, I think both will probably touch the canvas. 

Two brawlers should be a war. 

Thought Taylor lost that one tbh

On 18/08/2020 at 10:28, Alpha said:

You called this perfectly. It was stupid to take and Whyte has been punished for it.