Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Oh feck off Darren Barker. 

Povetkin looks old, Povetkin has lost his speed, Povetkin's punch resistance is down, Hunter was too fast for him... Sky Sports pundits all week writing him off. 

Povetkin is so old he kept up with the Forrest Gump of boxing, Hughie Fury. 

He's lost so much speed that he smashed Joshua in the face a dozen times in 9 minutes. 

His punch resistance is so low based on... no? Just more poo then, Darren?

The same Michael Hunter that Povetkin caught up with and started bossing? 

Yeah, maybe don't stick with the narrative brief when the narrative is full of poo. 

All that work, all that chasing, all those dangerous fights, all that drug/suspension poo only to fall at the last hurdle. 

Whyte should be a peoples champion anyway for giving these types of fights. Hopefully his comeback can be vs Darren Barker or Froch who are paid for expert opinion and to tell people Povetkin is past it based on 2 World title losses (1 to a legend) and 6/12 rounds vs Michael Hunter.

Gutted

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You called this perfectly. It was stupid to take and Whyte has been punished for it.

Gutted for him though. He really is great for boxing because he gets fights made. 

They say styles make fights and these two were built for fireworks. 

Just don't see who thought Povetkin would be a good idea. He tags everyone and he's hard as nails. Pick someone like Ruiz Jnr, Breazeale, Parker or even Ortiz. People who will eat a jab all night if he needs to take it on points. Big names who have slow feet. 

Not bloody Povetkin who always comes up and under. A short HW with vast experience and a solid KO record!?! Nightmare for Whyte because he always fights fire with fire rather than walk away. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Gutted for him though. He really is great for boxing because he gets fights made. 

Just don't see who thought Povetkin would be a good idea. He tags everyone and he's hard as nails. Pick someone like Ruiz Jnr, Breazeale, Parker or even Ortiz. People who will eat a jab all night if he needs to take it on points. Big names who have slow feet. 

Not bloody Povetkin who always comes up and under. A short HW with vast experience and a solid KO record!?! Nightmare for Whyte because he always fights fire with fire rather than walk away. 

Plenty of big UK fights in the horizon.

Depending how the world belts get split in the next 18 months, he will get a title shot eventually. 

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Whyte deserved his title shot. He'd earned it over the years and now he won't get it. Like you said, it was crazy to take Povetkin. That guy only loses to the best of the best, Hunter was hugely quicker than him but as soon as Povetkin figured him he was winning comfortably. Povetkin is not an easy name to take. Whyte honestly was fighting well, but Povetkin was nuts for the knockout. What a slip under the guard and what a shot. But Povetkin isn't the guy to challenge Fury/AJ, hopefully it means we see them fight sooner?

I thought Whyte was bossing it, but I reckon Dillian bought that too. Got sloppy, got tagged by a worldy punch.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, far more than watching AJ pat Andy Ruiz in the face for 12 rounds.

I hope he gets his rematch, and I hope he wins. He's just short of the top class I reckon, but he's absolutely top value for the sport.

3 hours ago, Needlesh said:

I thought Whyte was bossing it, but I reckon Dillian bought that too. Got sloppy, got tagged by a worldy punch.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, far more than watching AJ pat Andy Ruiz in the face for 12 rounds.

I hope he gets his rematch, and I hope he wins. He's just short of the top class I reckon, but he's absolutely top value for the sport.

Yeah I don't think he's a world champion in the making. He's perhaps the new Chisora. Entertaining, tough, very tough if motivated but ultimately an opponent for World Champions. Bridesmaid but never a bride type thing

Really hope he proves us wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing that Logan Paul has enough followers to sell this to that either believe he can land a punch or think it's interesting to see how long he can last

Everybody else won't care.  There is no reason to buy it. But these YouTube and twitch stars... People drink their content like crazy. 

It will be like the most boring fight in WWE history. A fight with no stunts, a predetermined outcome and nothing on the line. 

And people who do everything Logan Paul says will buy it in the millions

On 27/09/2020 at 11:02, CWC1983 said:

Strange ko by Taylor last night. 

I didn't really see the shot that caused the damage. 

Hopefully some big names lined up for him from now on. 

He's one hell of a fighter isn't he? I didn't see this fight but seen pretty much all his others since Dave Ryan.

Did you see the WSS cruiserweight final? Thought it was a little bit underwhelming

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's one hell of a fighter isn't he? I didn't see this fight but seen pretty much all his others since Dave Ryan.

Did you see the WSS cruiserweight final? Thought it was a little bit underwhelming

As a fighter he is brilliant. I'm not keen on some of the stuff he posts on twitter. 

No, I didn't see the WSS fights. I think there's a Matchroom card this weekend though. 

On 02/10/2020 at 17:57, Andicis said:

Looking forward to this one.

Me too. Should be good.

I don't think Joyce looks like a former Olympic boxer. Maybe he's just never needed to box against his opponents? 

I'd go with Dubois on age. Reckon it will either go the distance or very near before Joyce eventually tires. 

You know they're both going to be getting punched a lot

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Me too. Should be good.

I don't think Joyce looks like a former Olympic boxer. Maybe he's just never needed to box against his opponents? 

I'd go with Dubois on age. Reckon it will either go the distance or very near before Joyce eventually tires. 

You know they're both going to be getting punched a lot

I struggle to watch Joyce fight. I think he's so slow and tedious. A lot of people rate him clearly, but I've never thought he's up to much. Dubois is power and aggression. Not a lot of defending. A whole lot of fun to watch. It's on BT Sport 1 and not pay for view, which is lovely.