Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Best performance yet from AJ. Boxed smart, broke his heart then put him away. He said he'd been working hard on his skillset over the two lockdowns and that was pretty clear tonight. Any worries I had dismissed early doors and now onto the main event vs Fury. What a fight that'll be. Had thought it might be relatively straightforward for Tyson but I think AJ has put a marker down tonight. It could be an absolute classic.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Pulev has AJ raging. Thats a bad reaction from a fighter to be carrying on. It should stop at the final bell. They both gave it everything, it wasn't your night, take your frustration back to Bulgaria and recharge 

Switched off buddy - what happened? 

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Switched off buddy - what happened? 

AJ went over to the corner and there was some talking. Then AJ suddenly reared up and clearly left the corner with half a mind to get involved.

He was then agitated all the way through the interview and back to the changing room. Even stopping to give a Pulev poster a quick punch. Looked fuming.

You know Joshua, he has a real nasty streak in him and I don't think he's been this animated since the Whyte war. 

Fair enough Pulev shouldn't meekly accept defeat but just shake hands and be frustrated privately. If he coulda then he woulda. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The best AJ has looked for ages. He had the mean streak in him tonight but also retained the control that saw him box around Ruiz in Saudi. As for Pulev, the bloke is a nutter. 

I love AJ's nasty streak. I'm glad he's taken some hate and he doesn't hide his nastiness so well now. He's a thug turned pro boxer at the end of the day and people expect these guys to be perfect. Now, just like Fury, he fights to please himself. 

A treble uppercut!!! wtf!!?

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m an extremely casual boxing fan, but even I can’t wait for AJ vs Fury. It will be great, won’t it?

It will be epic. Absolutely epic. They need to delay Usyk. This fight held in the UK would be like the world Cup or Olympics. 

2 great champions, closely matched fighting for undisputed while boxing is at an all time high. 2 great characters too. Different but both inspirational. 

I think Joshua learned a lot from fighting Ruiz tbh. He is so much better at lighter weights, some fights before he was built like a body builder with a lot of unnecessary bulk and muscle slowing him down. Proper fight tonight. Anybody who thinks it's going to be easy for Tyson Fury is deluding themselves in my opinion, absolutely buzzing. Please do it at Wembley. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

I think Joshua learned a lot from fighting Ruiz tbh. He is so much better at lighter weights, some fights before he was built like a body builder with a lot of unnecessary bulk and muscle slowing him down. Proper fight tonight. Anybody who thinks it's going to be easy for Tyson Fury is deluding themselves in my opinion, absolutely buzzing. Please do it at Wembley. 

It's interesting as I think until tonight, a lot of fight fans would have thought that Tyson's superior ring craft would mean he would most likely prevail, but AJ has taken his medicine from the first Ruiz fight, so to speak, and we now have a meaner, more focussed and immeasurably more technical fighter on our hands. I thought Ruiz 2 was an improvement but last night, for me, was streets ahead of anything I've seen from him. I've never seen him so calm and ruthless. That right hand to end it was almost casual!! I'm now buzzing for the Fury fight. Let's hope politics and greed don't rob us and Hearn delivers as promised. 

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's interesting as I think until tonight, a lot of fight fans would have thought that Tyson's superior ring craft would mean he would most likely prevail, but AJ has taken his medicine from the first Ruiz fight, so to speak, and we now have a meaner, more focussed and immeasurably more technical fighter on our hands. I thought Ruiz 2 was an improvement but last night, for me, was streets ahead of anything I've seen from him. I've never seen him so calm and ruthless. That right hand to end it was almost casual!! I'm now buzzing for the Fury fight. Let's hope politics and greed don't rob us and Hearn delivers as promised. 

I think the only stumbling block will be Frank Warren and Bob Arum's egos that they want to present the show. Frank will make it as awkward as possible because holding onto Tyson's ankles is his only real income

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I think the only stumbling block will be Frank Warren and Bob Arum's egos that they want to present the show. Frank will make it as awkward as possible because holding onto Tyson's ankles is his only real income

Can't be doing with Frank Warren at all, but I think Tyson will force things through if Warren starts putting the fight at risk. One of the reasons the fight is so intriguing is that both fighters are thinking in terms of legacies. Neither really needs the money anymore, though of course it's a factor and neither really seem to be 'what if' kind of guys. I also think it'll be Tyson's swansong.

Please Lord don't let it be a manufactured trilogy - one fight, one winner and one amazing night for British boxing - is that too much to ask for? 

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Can't be doing with Frank Warren at all, but I think Tyson will force things through if Warren starts putting the fight at risk. One of the reasons the fight is so intriguing is that both fighters are thinking in terms of legacies. Neither really needs the money anymore, though of course it's a factor and neither really seem to be 'what if' kind of guys. I also think it'll be Tyson's swansong.

Please Lord don't let it be a manufactured trilogy - one fight, one winner and one amazing night for British boxing - is that too much to ask for? 

Mate, it will be a 2 fight deal at least. You can bet on that. One abroad to the highest bidder. Eddie needs a new yacht 

On 13/12/2020 at 17:45, Alpha said:

Mate, it will be a 2 fight deal at least. You can bet on that. One abroad to the highest bidder. Eddie needs a new yacht 

I know you're right buddy but I'm not a massive fan of the whole two fight deal thing, unless of course it's an epic battle where one fighter just about shades it. In fairness, I won't complain too much as long as we do get the fight as by rights, Usyk was meant to be next up for AJ - I doubt he'd be terribly happy either but I think both Tyson and AJ would beat him relatively comfortably anyway.

Annoyingly, they seem to be contemplating another fight in Saudi first up which also sucks. Hearn's been gushing soundbites about having to get the fight done as it's the fight everyone here wants to see, then instead of Wembley, they horse-trade the rights for petrodollars. How many yachts does Eddie need? Heyho, I suppose it'll all be forgotten on the night if the fight is even half as good as it promises to be.

AJ vs Fury won't happen without a crowd, they need the gate receipts to maximise the profits and keep the purses high.

Fury is now probably the most overrated HW in the division now after beating Wilder who was literally tailored made for him, Wilder relies on one punch and has poor fundamentals which is a dream for Fury. The only win I rate highly on Fury's CV is Wlad but even then I feel like he beat Wlad more mentally than physically. Don't get me wrong I think Fury is very good but a few years ago he was the laughing stock of the division and nobody thought he'd do anything after he got dropped by Steve Cunningham. Also I feel he overplayed his mental illness to gain favour in face of scrutiny of his out of date beliefs on homosexuality, he's been riding on that for a couple of years now. I don't buy this peoples champ crap he's coming out with. Fury has been put down by much softer shots than AJ but seems to escape the criticism that is aimed at AJ.

I think it'll be a great fight but ultimately I think AJ will rough him up and knock him out, if it goes the distance you obviously favour Fury. AJ always performs better against the taller guys as his career has shown, very underwhelming against the shorter HWs he's faced. AJ likes a taller fighter where he can slip under the shots and unload the combos. No way will Fury get close to AJ and try and lean on him as he'd get uppercutted in to the stratosphere. It'll be Fury on the backfoot twitching like a mad man letting constant jabs go.

Have to disagree with most of what you said about Fury as I'm a big fan (as I am of Joshua) and he says a lot of things that resonate with me. 

As for the fight i just think its a great match. Both have shown weakness and strengths and have also shown they can adapt. 

Both have made hard fights look easy and easy fights look hard. Neither are flawless. 

I think the only reason Fury's weakness isn't spoken about is down to how, let's be honest, he's not the man to beat. I personally would put money on him rather AJ but AJ has the better CV, has the belts and is the #1 imo. 0L's are overrated in the sport. 

I don't think either is overrated. They're are no other HW's to place above them.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Have to disagree with most of what you said about Fury as I'm a big fan (as I am of Joshua) and he says a lot of things that resonate with me. 

As for the fight i just think its a great match. Both have shown weakness and strengths and have also shown they can adapt. 

Both have made hard fights look easy and easy fights look hard. Neither are flawless. 

I think the only reason Fury's weakness isn't spoken about is down to how, let's be honest, he's not the man to beat. I personally would put money on him rather AJ but AJ has the better CV, has the belts and is the #1 imo. 0L's are overrated in the sport. 

I don't think either is overrated. They're are no other HW's to place above them.

It would be fair to say though that Joshua got those belts because Fury had to surrender them having put on 10 stone and shoved half the Guinness factory down his gullet.  He also hasn't lost to an appalling out of shape boxer who most reasonable amateurs would have gone 10 rounds with.  Not sure has the same armoury and ability to switch tactic as Fury.  I think this may be a reasonably easy 6/7 round fight for him if it's in the next five months. The best chance Joshua has is to make the fight in 8/9 months .  Inactivity makes Fury sluggish.