Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Joe Calzaghe never really got the attention he deserved. He came along at a time where the best were getting past it and he was able to pick them off. He was just a great fighter stood on his own with no real prime great fighters to have super fights with. Great fighter though. 

Froch v Calzaghe would have been incredible. He's hard as nails isn't he, Froch. So tough. He really was a warrior. But a complete Bamford. I can't stand his constant pouting at camera and he's arrogant as owt. 

I'd put money on Calzaghe when both in their prime. It wouldn't be the war that Froch would want. I reckon Calzaghe is the smarter boxer with the skills to win rounds while having plenty of toughness to deal with Froch success. 

Andre Ward haunts Froch. A guy who just refused to get sucked in and just boxed his way through. Calzaghe to do the same. 

Although now the years have passed I bet Froch would rather fight him now than back in his own prime. He may have a plastic nose but I bet his chin is still concrete

Never understood how Froch has ended up being paid to play lip service. He only seems to want to talk about himself which is an awful trait for a pundit. 

Had actually forgotten about how badly he was schooled by Ward. I suppose Kessler was the perfect opponent in some ways for Froch as he was as happy to make a fight an absolute war and in fairness, it made for great viewing. I think it's fair to say that although Froch is held in high regard and rightly so, he'd be so much more well liked and regarded if he could just hold his yap for 5 minutes.

Back on Haney, looking at his Boxrec, there's nothing there yet to suggest he's got any claims to even fight Loma let alone beat him. Once he's dismantled a Jorge Linares or two he'll have a fair claim but right now he's just white noise IMO. 

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Never understood how Froch has ended up being paid to play lip service. He only seems to want to talk about himself which is an awful trait for a pundit. 

Had actually forgotten about how badly he was schooled by Ward. I suppose Kessler was the perfect opponent in some ways for Froch as he was as happy to make a fight an absolute war and in fairness, it made for great viewing. I think it's fair to say that although Froch is held in high regard and rightly so, he'd be so much more well liked and regarded if he could just hold his yap for 5 minutes.

Back on Haney, looking at his Boxrec, there's nothing there yet to suggest he's got any claims to even fight Loma let alone beat him. Once he's dismantled a Jorge Linares or two he'll have a fair claim but right now he's just white noise IMO. 

Think with Haney it's all just promise isn't it? He's strong, hard working and sweet shot selection. But he's still in the stage of show fights where he can make errors. His first live opponent he wants Loma? Fight a few top 20 fighters before going for a guy who's won over 400 fights, 2 Olympic gold medals, 3 weight world titles and multiple other gold medals in major events.

See Wilder's comments? He is such a poorly managed fighter. He needs better advice. It wasn't him that lost you know?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

image.png.3f40b7cd08284f0af6a80b67674177e9.png

Another one that the boxing purists might not like, but I think this will be interesting, albeit slow and lumbering.

I just think it's a bit of a mockery of how dangerous the sport can be once you introduce pro rules. 

I expect them both to gas out early. That muscle and weight will use their energy within a round I reckon. 

One of them to be on his arse before the end of the 3rd. Probably just pummeled to the floor and be more tired than hurt.

That's why professional fights with unprofessional fighters don't appeal to me. They're just street brawls and if you've ever been in a fight in your life then you'll know they don't last more than a few minutes max and with the adrenaline rushes and no breathing technique you're ruined. Shaky legs, jelly arms etc. 

I think this fight will be especially awful because of the size of them and they're built for short bursts of huge amounts of power. 

Bit of a kill joy aren't I? 

On 05/05/2020 at 14:39, Alpha said:

I just think it's a bit of a mockery of how dangerous the sport can be once you introduce pro rules. 

I expect them both to gas out early. That muscle and weight will use their energy within a round I reckon. 

One of them to be on his arse before the end of the 3rd. Probably just pummeled to the floor and be more tired than hurt.

That's why professional fights with unprofessional fighters don't appeal to me. They're just street brawls and if you've ever been in a fight in your life then you'll know they don't last more than a few minutes max and with the adrenaline rushes and no breathing technique you're ruined. Shaky legs, jelly arms etc. 

I think this fight will be especially awful because of the size of them and they're built for short bursts of huge amounts of power. 

Maybe, but you speak the truth.

On 05/05/2020 at 14:39, Alpha said:

All you say makes sense, and much as I'd like to see Eddie Hall knighted, I won't be watching this.

My concern is what if one of them really lands? Connects with everything behind it...do we reckon this could be extremely dangerous? Bit concerned. Or isn't that the way the dynamics work?

4 hours ago, Needlesh said:

All you say makes sense, and much as I'd like to see Eddie Hall knighted, I won't be watching this.

My concern is what if one of them really lands? Connects with everything behind it...do we reckon this could be extremely dangerous? Bit concerned. Or isn't that the way the dynamics work?

Obviously early in your pro boxing career you get gimme fights. Guys come in to test what you've learned, make you look good but ultimately get beat

And a lot of these guys know what they are and are well paid. There's fighters with a handful of wins in 50 or 60 fights. Why do they keep doing it? Money. They're usually durable fighters that pose no threat but know a few tricks to survive. Helps you get a look at your favourite

You do get dangerous mismatch fights. 

But ultimately there's thought behind the matchmaking. Every pro boxer knows the risks and knows the game

The only match to these celeb style fights is they're both Youtubers/actors/rappers/darts players etc. 

Do they know what the other guy is capable of? Do they know how to protect themselves? 

So either somebody is going to get hurt or the fights will be so carefully judged that at the first sign of trouble it will be stopped. 

Everyone who watches combat sports likes violence. But you want to see warriors do the fighting surely? You want to see people get hurt. Sounds horrible but we don't tune in to watch them kiss and cuddle. But it should be between the modern day gladiators. Not plebs from the back row that are playing at being gladiators but given the tools to hurt each other. 

I accept many will disagree. They'll just say it's a fun harmless scrap. Be interesting to see the response if a referee let's it go one punch too far. 

Should be under amateur rules. It's white collar boxing. 

• 4 weeks later...