Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

51 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I desperately want the little gypo to get beat before a payday. I can't believe he's held that title for so long.

Ive always wanted Chris Eubank Jr to return and give him a stylish, concussive, hard knock-out after 8 rounds of being pasted. But he doesn't want a second fight. He knows what would happen . And he won't have the belt soon so can't see it ever happening now ?

Edited by Norman

Wilder is in for a payday nothing else. Minimum risk all the way up padding a record with garbage and then cash out. Joshua coming along is a dream come true for him. But anyone who thinks Whyte beats Wilder is mad in my eyes. Chisora gave Whyte war and just got completely outboxed for the European title. Whyte got wobbled by a jab from Helenius and then struggled to a win. Wilder is too athletic and too powerful for Whyte. He's shown zero improvement since Joshua beat him, if anything he's gone backwards. Wilder stops him for me.

Did anyone see Bivol last week? The next Golovkin right there, true power.

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Wilder is in for a payday nothing else. Minimum risk all the way up padding a record with garbage and then cash out. Joshua coming along is a dream come true for him. But anyone who thinks Whyte beats Wilder is mad in my eyes. Chisora gave Whyte war and just got completely outboxed for the European title. Whyte got wobbled by a jab from Helenius and then struggled to a win. Wilder is too athletic and too powerful for Whyte. He's shown zero improvement since Joshua beat him, if anything he's gone backwards. Wilder stops him for me.

Yeah, can't wait to see Bivol again. What a beast.

Looks like Whyte will headline at the O2 in February. Maybe they could get Miller over. It's winner winner chicken dinner either way then. Either boosts Whyte to Wilder or boosts Miller to Joshua. Both can talk enough garbage to sell what would end up being another platform for Wilder or Joshua to use to boost their profile in the opposing country

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Povotkin is 38 now, I don’t think he has much left in the tank.

Assuming he beats Hammer, he will probably have one last big fight in him then retire.

I’m disappointed he didn’t fight Wilder in Russia. That would have been an indicator as to Wilder’s ability.

Yeah, I don't understand how he failed a drugs test yet is fighting a sanctioned eliminator next month! 

Shouldn't have any problems with Hammer. 

8 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Whyte's conditioning has improved a lot. He lacks power to knock out opponents and he isn't exactly the greatest technician, but he does do 12 rounds and he looks a lot fitter than when he was fighting AJ.

I agree in terms of boxing ability, he seems to have made very little progress if any at all.

He's riding on the crest of a wave at the moment though, but ultimately he's European level and he'll come up short regardless of who he ends up facing when/if he finally gets a world title shot.

He looks poor against average opponents who just want to survive, then finds himself in a war when average opponents come forward like Chisora. A good opponent will either outbox him or stop him.

Lomachenko v Rigondeaux is the fight I'm desperate to see. Though it could end up being a dancing battle. Both defend ridiculously well and can throw from incredible angles. I really don't know how it will play out, but fair play to both in wanting to take the fight. 

12 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Got tickets for Kovalev v Shabranskyy in a couple of weeks at MSG.

Is Kovalev still decent or have the losses to Andre Ward done for him?

Gamboa v Sully Barrera on the U/C.

Depends if Kovalev actually lets himself be trained or just does whatever he want's as usual.

First 3 rounds he looked brilliant but his work rate faded as the Mexican came on strong. The better eye catching shots were from Frampton but as Steve Bunce said at the end, if the fight was in Mexico then the verdict may have been different. 

It was a 10 rounder, and if he was made to go another 2 rounds then he might of been in trouble. 

Frank Warrens promising an open air Windsor Park world title fight in the summer. 

41 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

So Haye is a retirement home job. Where does Bellew go now? Fury just put up a funny call out video for May but Bellew surely won't want any of that?

Be giving away about 9 inches and 5 stone wouldn't he? 

If he wants to cash out then I'd take it. Fury isn't a big puncher so he could possibly survive 12 rounds and lose on points. 

He gave up his cruiser title. He said the big money is in the HW division. He's surely looking at making some cash and calling it a day. 

I'm sure ideally he wants Parker. 

Whoever he fights I don't see him winning. These guys are too big. All he can be looking at doing is surviving and then it sounds good.

When is the semi finals for the super middleweight? 

Lomachenko on the 9th. DeGale on the 9th. I think Saunders is the week after. Povetkin is December. Still some decent fighters to come out this year even though Bellew/Haye is off.

I think it's more interesting where Haye goes from here. If he talks about carrying on i would love to know what he's got mapped out

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Be giving away about 9 inches and 5 stone wouldn't he? 

If he wants to cash out then I'd take it. Fury isn't a big puncher so he could possibly survive 12 rounds and lose on points. 

He gave up his cruiser title. He said the big money is in the HW division. He's surely looking at making some cash and calling it a day. 

I'm sure ideally he wants Parker. 

Whoever he fights I don't see him winning. These guys are too big. All he can be looking at doing is surviving and then it sounds good.

When is the semi finals for the super middleweight? 

Lomachenko on the 9th. DeGale on the 9th. I think Saunders is the week after. Povetkin is December. Still some decent fighters to come out this year even though Bellew/Haye is off.

I think it's more interesting where Haye goes from here. If he talks about carrying on i would love to know what he's got mapped out

Super middles semi finals are end of January/early February. Very surprised a venue hasnt been announced for Groves vs Eubank Jr. Probably trying to pull off Stamford Bridge or something. 

The rumours of Haye being injured from two weeks a go seem legitimate again. Not sure i believe how he did it or which injury he is carrying.

Looking forward to De Gale. Is it me or has he got a bit of a stutter and a bit of a heavy tongue? Some of his fights have been wars. Looks like it's taking its toll.

Edited by Norman

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Super middles semi finals are end of January/early February. Very surprised a venue hasnt been announced for Groves vs Eubank Jr. Probably trying to pull off Stamford Bridge or something. 

The rumours of Haye being injured from two weeks a go seem legitimate again. Not sure i believe how he did it or which injury he is carrying.

Looking forward to De Gale. Is it me or has he got a bit of a stutter and a bit of a heavy tongue? Some of his fights have been wars. Looks like it's taking its toll.

I've not seen DeGale interviews for a long while. I saw his fight against Jack though. Lost his front teeth didn't he? 

Feel a bit sorry for DeGale. He's kind of not got quite the public interest he deserves in comparison to other UK fighters who have achieved less. 

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've not seen DeGale interviews for a long while. I saw his fight against Jack though. Lost his front teeth didn't he? 

Feel a bit sorry for DeGale. He's kind of not got quite the public interest he deserves in comparison to other UK fighters who have achieved less. 

Yeah, spent too long in America. Not many people will stay up that late for build ups and the fight. In fact, has he defended his title here? I dont think he has. And he won it over there too. 

Yeah, his front teeth fell out vs Badou. Was doing it before then. Just seems to be slurring his words. That fight i stayed up for. Was brilliant. You know someone is digging in when their gum shield keeps coming out because they have no teeth to clamp down on it.

Interesting to see if BT and Warren can start to put these big shows on over here. Think saturation point might be getting hit. Probably why Hearn is off to America.