Corners.

TroyDyer

Is there a player at the club that can actually take one?

I don't think I can recall a time when we were so useless from corners. It has got to such a point now, that the usual roar when we won one, has almost disappeared. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Personally I think it is an issue. Keogh and Buxton both come up for every corner. So far Bucko has one, and Keogh has zero goals this season. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omar was awesome with his deadballs earlier on in the season, he's been a bit so so recently. The movement for Buxtons goal was superb, which makes it a surprise that he hasn't scored more. 

Didn't Hendrick take that one, vs. Leeds?

Mascarell's set pieces have been excellent - vs. Wolves we scored from two - Shotton's header and Russell's pick up and finish.

Mascarell is brilliant at them, and Ince looked promising against Bolton from the other side.

Takes more than good delivery for you to score from them. Don't Keogh has the first clue how to attack a delivery.

Keogh seems to get lost underneath high balls or crosses in our half semi regularly but has a great head on him when he does judge it right. I think it's something that needs work as a unit not just the taker and the fact we've changed planned corner takers since pre season when we probs last spent lots of time working on it might have changed things. I'm hoping settling on one taker plus Alebentosa being a giant will hopefully see this improve towards end of season and certainly next season

I'd like to see us being a lot more "creative" at our attacking set pieces generally. We have what I think of as an innovative coaching team, yet we don't seem to have any special set moves designed on the training ground to take advantage of certain rules (eg standing offside in an earlier phase of -play to come back on at the end) and create clear opportunities.

It tends to be hit and hope into the box or taking a long shot with no element of disguise. It's an area of play that lets us down.

Keogh is awesome at winning headers, but sorry, he isn't too good at controlling/directing the flight of the header after contact.

As for the actual delivery side, you'll find this is a common problem at ALL levels of football. I personally think it's to do with the aero-dynamics of the ball nowadays and the flatter trajectory, it's harder to loft a football and keep pace than it was with a Mitre 20 years ago. Nowadays it seems the modern balls flight path is very straight and true when power is applied, and where a direct freekick can be effective with a still upward trajectory, a corner hit the same way will either not beat the first man, or will be too high if it beats the first man. 

Archived