Corners.

TroyDyer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goals from corners aren't as common as you'd imagine at the top end of football. Obviously some teams are built for set pieces.

Bet we haven't conceded many from corners either?

Just came on here to make that point. When was the last time we conceded from a corner at PP? 

I remember posting the percent how many corners lead to goals maybe year ago?

It was from the book The Numbers Game (excellent reading by the way) and it was very, very low indeed. Maybe under 1%?

So especially with our players, I wouldn't mind if we just started keeping the ball from the corners. (Like Barcelona did some time ago) We have only two good players in attacking headers, Shotton and Martin. Keogh and Bucko are both good only defensively.

The lad Keane, who we had on loan, looked like he would score from every single corner we had...

Two at home all season does sound poor. I think what is worse is the lack of beating the first man. I actually think with Shotton on the park, throw ins are a bigger threat. 

I think you're right cos you can lob a throw in and the launch point is higher than the first man's head in theory.

Goals from corners aren't as common as you'd imagine at the top end of football. Obviously some teams are built for set pieces.

Bet we haven't conceded many from corners either?

You'd think Ipswich would be top of set piece goals, or maybe a struggling team like Bolton or something... Nope... Watford who apparently play good football.

I prefer Shotton throw ins to corners. Lot better chance on them. I remember a few years back in a Stoke game, the opposition defender tried to clear the ball for a throw, and then he put it out for a corner instead, because Stoke had Delap and Delap throws were harder to defend than a corner. Same thing with Shotton imo.

Archived